495 students|Okeechobee

Bad
Good

My child has attended South for one year and began her second year today. We adore the staff and faculty. Mr. Radebaugh, the principal, gives an energetic upbeat feel to the campus. South's main office and tasks are well organized and the campus is always clean and maintained. The teachers we've had the opportunity to know are so positive and encouraging. When I'm volunteering at South, I'm impressed with the many employees who make it a point to say thank you and hello, remembering my name and my child's. The reason I regretfully give this school 4 stars is because they do NOT have an art program. My child was in kindergarten last year and never brought home a painting, but did bring home a couple paper plate crafts. I really hope they will implement an art class. Students repeat a "specials" class each week, due to there only being 4 "specials".... South, please make a 5th special for the week and let it be ART! Art can teach children that in complex forms of problem solving, purposes are seldom fixed, but change with circumstance and opportunity. Artistic learning requires the ability and a willingness to surrender to the unanticipated possibilities of their work as it unfolds.

my son is in second grade at south, the staff here is as good as it gets. I rate south with 5 stars.

My son just finished up at south, he's now heading to middle school. He finished out the year with a final report card of 4 A's and one B. He finished at the top of his class in the FCAT scores for this past year. It's hand's down the best elementary in okeechobee. It's not just up to the teacher's to help your child learn, you have to take the time with your children, to help them where they struggle, to encourage them when it's tough. There are some thing's I didn't agree with at the school, but overall I'm proud that my kid was an Eagle!

Last modified South Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.