Thunderbolt Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 1022 students

Posted September 10, 2013

Kindergarten was fantastic! My daughter's first grade teacher has set the benchmark for all other teachers in her life so far. I wish I could name her here, because she deserves the recognition. Second grade was good, too, but often I felt that my daughter, heck, the whole class were an afterthought to one of her two teachers. One was clearly dedicated, too bad she only taught two days a week. The other teacher didn't seem to be able to remember the students' names, nor to spell them correctly. She seemed to frequently forget things, like rewards the kids had earned, things that were planned, and notices sent home were often late. I am sure my child is pretty well prepared for third grade, but I have to admit that I was disappointed in this teacher's seeming lack of interest in her students.

Posted May 6, 2013

Thunderbolt is an excellent school. My son has attended from Grade 1 through 3. All the teachers are dedicated to their students. The teachers go over and above their job descriptions daily. I found my son to be challenged by the work in the class. Ms. Phillips, the principal, is very involved in the students activities but also maintains excellent discipline in the school.

Posted February 10, 2013

I cannot say enough amazing things as a parent of 3 children who have attended this school for 5 years. I had always been impressed as a parent by the teachers, administration and support staff, but for the last two years I have been able to be on the other side as a substitute and the commitment , energy, passion and level of dedication these teachers provide is top notch! Parents are involved and welcomed in this school, a balance of making learning fun with structure and rules are enforced. Highly qualified teachers who do not stop working when that bell rings. I am sad we will have to leave this amazing school and community for a few years. For such a large school, it is a "small" school atmosphere and we have cherished every moment and the impact it has made for our children!

Posted May 11, 2012

School is Awesome. Great Parent Participation. Parents are encouraged to get involved. Teachers are overall great. Challenging kids to excel. Focus on Reading Reading Reading to improve comprehension skills for grades K through 4 so far from what I can tell. I have a 2nd grader and 4th grader and have been there since K. Principal (Ms. Phillips) is great. Highly visible, speaks to kids and parents and is not solely in the office like some principals.

Posted September 16, 2009

Three of my grandaughters go to this school and it is so efficiently run. I watch them grow mentally as well as physically. This school deserves the money because it is such a highly respected and rated school.

Posted September 4, 2009

Great school to take children to that is located in a family-oriented and safe area! The teaching staff are supportive, kind, and helpful! It's a nice place to take your child to and know that they will receive the best academic challenges in a safe and orgainzed school! Highly recommend!

Posted September 4, 2009

A great 2009-2010 year so far! I am throughly impressed with how well organized the school staff and with all the school's activity/family activities are conducted. The teachers are kind, attentive, and supportive. This school is located in a very supportive, safe, family-oriented area. Thunderbolt has a positive, motivating atmosphere that would bare well for any child. It's a school that could encourage a child to reach his or her full potential. Highly recommended!

Posted July 27, 2009

This school does push academics. The pick up and drop off stations were atrocious last year (07-08), but much better this year since they had the grounds redone. I think 40% of the teachers and staff are there to be a part of the children's education and really care for the children's future and well-being. I also believe 60% of the rest of the teachers and staff have a cold, staunch demeanor and . This 60% are napproachable and appear to be unfeeling and non-caring. Also, the ethnic diversity of the school population is minimal and my child has been subjected to bullying by the children and selective reprehensible treatment from the teachers. They look upon us unfavorably because we are not the ethnic race they wish dominated their school only. We truly feel like outcasts at this school and we are seriously considering relocating.

Posted May 27, 2009

I am pleased with the school as is our daughter. She has adjusted well into Kindergarten and grown alot during this past year. Her teacher was very involved, patient and structured. The one area of concern is that our daughter attended a private Pre-K which had an advanced curriculum. The curriculum for Kindergarten was at the same level so many of the topics that she was going through this year were already accomplished in Pre-K. I'd like to see a more detailed assessment of the children going into Kindergarten to determerine their skill set and set them into classrooms appropriately. I feel that because she was spending the year re-learning many things that she was held back/slowed down in other challenges that she could have been focusing on. Was she having to wait for other children to 'catch up'? Otherwise, a great school.

Posted June 26, 2008

I am very happy with this school. Yes there are over 1200 students there but the classrooms are not overcrowed. They average around 17 students to one teacher. FCAT is emphasized because the state puts the pressure on. The teacher that my child has (2nd Grade) is very caring. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted June 17, 2008

As a parent and a teacher, I chose to send my daughter to TBE specifically because of the teachers there. They are highly qualified and yes, gave her much work. She completed 2nd-6th grade and was very successful due ingreat part to the dedicated and highly trained teachers there. Yes, it is very overcrowded, but that speaks even more to the overwhelming numbers of people who want to attend this school. Under those challenging circumstances, the faculty is doing an amazing job!

Posted May 2, 2008

We have had one child at this school from K through 4th grade and one due to start this fall. We are extremely hesitant to send our youngest there. Bullying is rampant, the school is much too over-crowded and the administration sacrifices overall child development and positive learning experiences for FCAT scores. Resource teachers are also disappointing, except for one or two- the rest need to be in a junior high or high school environment as they constantly yell at the students and have no patience for children. We have had some excellent homeroom teachers, but even they are constantly stressed and discontented. Some of the best have already left. I would choose any of the other schools in the area before this one.

Posted February 28, 2008

Highly overcrowded school doesn't focus on day-to-day learning. rather its primary emphasis is on FCATs. Every state has standardized testing, but not every sate ignores some of the basics in order to make their school look better on a statewide exam. They compromise our children's learning. Wouldn't recommend this school at all!

Posted February 24, 2008

I am very disappointed in this school. I have 2 children that attend (1 in 5th and 1 in 3rd) My 5th grade daughter is struggling tremendously and comes home with hours upon hours of homework (including weekends). She is physically and emotionally exhausted now and can't get the strength to study for tests after finishing the written part of her homework. She has gone from mostly A's in her old school to barely B's in this school. They fly through the books and the teachers do not oversee how the children do the work during classtime. Everything is for the FCAT and nothing else seems to matter. My 3rd grader has a fantastic teacher and only a little homework and getting mostly A's, but she hates the school itself. I have decided to pull my kids and send them somewhere else

Posted November 29, 2007

This school has been a disappointment. My 6th grader has experienced verbal bullying that was only addressed after several attempts. It is my feeling that the school is so extremely overcrowded that there's simply no way of monitoring student's behaviors properly. My daughter, who used to love school, has said she hates this school and wishes we had never moved here. The principal has treated me in a condescending manner and disregarded my concerns altogether. Academically, it's difficult to say how the school fares. My daughter has learned less at this school and went from being a straight-A student at a top-notch school to getting a 'C' on her report card. I see her study, I quiz her. Though I've tried to be kind to the teachers, they rarely smile and appear cold. I wouldn't want to spend my days there!

Posted November 11, 2007

I really like this school. I think it is run very well. It is really overcrowded, but what school isn't these days. The teachers are great. The office always has answers to questions. Everybody is organized and really willing to go the extra mile. The only problem I see with this school is the parent involvement. There seems to be a lack of parents that get involved in their children's education. Also, the parent dropoff and pickup is a disaster. Parents double park, park in handicapped zones, get in verbal altercations and block parents in who are parked correctly.

Posted June 17, 2007

This is a very nice, well-run school. I think it is an A school b/c of the administration and faculty. I also feel they sometimes put so much emphasis on always being an A school, that they sacrifice some of the joy of children's learning. Many times my child would come home saying how 'exhausting' Kindergarten was. I know it's a whole-day program, but he had been in Preschool for years, is of above-average intelligence, and gets plenty of sleep and has a good diet. I thought the long blocks or reading and math were a bit intensive. As an educator, I appreciate the order and outstanding scores of this school. As a mom, I wonder if a little flexibility couldn't be considered. Does Kindergarten really have to be exhausting?

Posted April 13, 2006

Thunderbolt Elementary is an awesome school to work for. The staff takes pride in making this an A school every year!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 4, 2005

This is an awesome school! Academically, students are challenged every day and the curriculum is very well-rounded. School safety is great and the staff is extremely competent. An all-around winner!

Posted August 19, 2005

My child is in 3rd grade and has been attending Thunderbolt since kindergarten. The staff are well-trained and the programs are challenging. She attends music 1 day per wk; library 1 day per wk; computer 1 day per wk and PE 2 days per week. They also really encourage physical fitness and proper nutrition. The level of parental involvment is phenomenal. They do well at most things, but they could use some improvement in tracking students progress from year to year to ensure that she is progressing as expected.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

136 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

137 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

143 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

142 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

140 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

136 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

140 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

134 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 1%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2020 Thunderbolt Rd