Robert M. Paterson Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 911 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 30, 2014

My kids have attended this school for close to 2 years and its overall a good school. It has areas to improve on though. I think coming from a private school environment with smaller school population, we've been spoiled and now realize the school staff (principle, VP, etc) will never know your child by name. The teachers we've had have been great with the kids and communicate well. I never felt in the dark. I do wish the school could update its external appearance a bit. Compared to its neighboring schools, like Thunderbolt & FIE - ours seems dark, with minimal external visual appeal. At first glace I was hesitant just based on external appearance. I also think it lacks in the "arts" - there have been no school plays, recitals, musicals. Nothing in the arts realm to engage the kids. Even a glee club would be nice. It only focuses on this run/walk program which my kids found ultra boring as they play the same music every week as they run laps. Overall, the school is a good one, my kids have both excelled and their grades have been A-B consistently.

Posted October 17, 2013

We are so happy to be done with this school. The principal is completely out of touch and so self-absorbed that he does nothing to alleviate the problems in his school. The teachers we have encountered ranged from lazy to apathetic. There were one or two exceptions. Our children would not go to the bathroom until they got home because the ones at this school were entirely too disgusting. One of our children was actually assaulted (by another student) and the best answer we could get was "It won't happen again...." If your child happens to be a little short on lunch money, they are forced to wear a red arm band for the remainder of the school day so that their parents (and everyone else in the school) knows that they didn't have enough money for lunch. No stigma there, huh? Anyway, if you can avoid sending your kids here, DO SO!

Posted October 6, 2013

I have two children that attend Paterson. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this school and the teachers. I have a 4th and 1st grader. There was only one year that I didn't care for my sons teacher. Everyone else (including the front office staff, the VP and Principle are extremely helpful and willing to help. One of my sons teacher help my son tremendously and I will forever be grateful for her! Every year when we go to open house all the teachers from prior years acknowledge us and are very sincere when getting updates on my kids. I am not sure what the issues were for some of the lower rated reviews, but I would NEVER think about sending my kids any other place. I also know many families that moved TO this area just to send their kids to Paterson.

Posted October 4, 2013

I have been a Paterson Parent since 2002, I feel this school is great. It has many teachers that have been there for many years. The parents are very involved and the teachers communicate on a regular basis. I have a child with a learning disability and once we were able to address her issues with the county it has been wonderful. She is getting above average help at Paterson. I think the bad review of Paterson is unjustified. Yes the school has changed, but all of them have in the past 10 years. I believe these teachers and administration have so many regulations and red tape passed down from the state to deal with that they are overburdened. With that being said, most if not all of the teachers we have had over the last 11 years have been knowledgeable, caring and helpful. and awesome educators.

Posted August 23, 2013

Bad school. Do NOT send your kid here. The person at the top is using the job as a stop gap until he retires which is not soon enough. He doesn't take ANY interest in a parents views, suggestions or perspectives, instead reminisces on his own family experiences. I have suggested many little changes which could improve the school both to him and his sidekick, but no-one listens. He and his sidekick (the deputy) have their favorites and treat the other kids AND teachers with little respect. I know one or 2 teachers who are filled with pure fear if their class is interupted by either of them during lessontime. Some of the teachers are terrible too. It would be good if they knew about the subject they are teaching before instead of teaching completely wrong information. When I confronted a 6th grade teacher, she was TOTALLY unapproachable. I CANNOT wait to get my kids outta there. I know lots and lots of people who have moved just to get into other schools and away from Paterson. We moved here from out of State and wished we'd known this first. This school has made our time here very stressful. If you can, look for another school.

Posted May 15, 2013

Paterson used to be a great school years ago with a different principal. The vice principal is mean and ahteful woman who shows true disdain for the students. the principal was so so, until he got bored after a few yrs. He plays favorites, and is rude and cruel..look him up online and see news stories..you will be schocked. he got rid of all positive amle role models so he could be King!!He must play golf with the superintendant because when we and several others went for help from him, we were not believed once Grieneger spoke with him. Our children were straight a kids, we were very active and volunteered tons of hours. ONly a few teachers really care, and are not allowed to deviate from the constant pressure to teach to the FCAT test. Many friends moved away from the school or homeschooled.Sad considering we moved here and pay high taxes and had to leave the school once any problem was brought up, we were not welcomed anymore! Our friends even found a teacher changing the survey about herself, and mrs.White, the VP..did nothing. sad to see a promising school get destroyed by a few in the front office. I was forced to find other schools for my 4 children.Many friends did too.

Posted May 3, 2013

Paterson elementary is an excellent school. The teachers truly care about the students development and not just academically, but all-around development. The Principal is actively involved with a great example of leadership through hands on and empowering others to do so as well. In my personal opinion, as a parent, you cannot go wrong with your student at this school.

Posted March 9, 2011

I think this is the best elementary school my daughter has gone to and she has gone to 3 total. The teachers are willing to help any student and work hard to make every student achieve. The even offer tutoring in subjects to help student with their problem areas. Overall, AWESOME school.

Posted April 29, 2010

My daughter has a learning disability and this is her last year at Paterson Elementary. They have always been very sensitive to her needs and have done everything possible to help her succeed academically.

Posted November 11, 2009

My child has been at Paterson since kindergarten and is now in the sixth grade. I think the school has nice facilities and for the most part the staff is dedicated and genuinely enjoys teaching. The quality of the teaching is greatly hampered by the need to stick to the FCAT curriculum so students are overdrilled in some things and totally miss others. The current principal is a good disciplinarian but this does not carry over to the classrooms. Also, he does not encourage creativity among the staff.

Posted September 16, 2009

Paterson is an A school and has been since conception. The staff is A+ and my child has been very happy there. I am sad to see her leave as this is her last year there. It is a very safe campus and the emphasis on learning is good without being too stressful at least for the students!

Posted September 16, 2009

We have been at RM Paterson for 5 years and love the closeness that we feel from everyone on staff and all of the other families at Paterson.

Posted September 16, 2009

Paterson is an excellent school. The staff really seems to love what they do...and the administration is awesome. It is very safe and I always feel welcome to visit! My oldest loves it and I can't wait to have my youngest there next year!

Posted November 17, 2008

i love this school.i have all my friends at the school.the teachers teach me alot of things.Ms.Christhoper was the best.So was Mrs.Datuel.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 5, 2008

My children have been at Paterson for 4 years, and overall, we love the school. The teachers work very hard,and my children have grown and learned so much from their hard work and dedication.

Posted April 24, 2006

As a grandparent and full time volunteer at PES, I've had the opportunity of working with the teachers and administration. With a new principal this year, I have been witness to a new enviroment for not only the staff but the children also...The teachers are enjoying a nicer working relationship with the administrator and also the children are experiencing a new kind of principal, one that is not afraid to go into the classroom and talk one on one with the kids..explore their feelings, needs and wants; a principal that is not afraid of showing true caring naure to the children...the academic program is of the highest caliber, with extracurriculas activities increasing with a new Spanish Club for the whole school. There are still concerns with some parents, but that will always be true with any school..Overall great improvement over the last few years...Open door policy has really been enacted.

Posted March 11, 2006

This school is great. Mrs. Sado is a loving and great teacher. They all are!

Posted February 28, 2006

Paterson is an A school 5 years running. The teachers and staff are dedicated to meeting the academic needs of the students. Our family is very satisfied at this school.

Posted January 8, 2006

My son has been in PES since Kindergarten and he loves his school. I found the teachers he has had caring, truly concerned, and well-rounded. He has been in the school's gifted program since kindergarten and I find it adequate --- I would have liked it to be more challenging. The music program is very well-run and the yearly musicals they present are excellent. There are good art, computer, and PE programs at this school. The level of parent involvement is high --- lots of volunteers for the various school activities. The principal is new so I cannot really comment on his performance. When we moved to JAX from Orlando >10 years ago we looked for the best school district in the area and we know we made the right choice!

Posted August 18, 2005

We moved to Florida from Germany and my son could not speak any English. Paterson took very good care of my son to give him extra help with his English and within 6 weeks my son was on Gradelevel. Parents are very involved in this school. I m very thankful i found a school like Paterson. I rate it A+++

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

131 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 2% 3%

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5400 Pine Ave