Orange Park High School

Public | PK, 9-12 | 1640 students

Sweep tile

Posted May 22, 2013

Our son is finishing his sophomore year. With the exception of only 1 or 2 teachers over the past 2 years, they genuinely seem to care about the children and want all to succeed.

Posted September 12, 2012

I must let you know the truth about the exceptional education department. I have never met a less caring bunch of unprofessional teachers in my life. My child was encouraged to drop out on a daily basis... She was humiliated by teachers.... and when she asked for help with her academics she was ignored.

Posted June 29, 2012

Our son just finished his freshman year and loves OPHS. There are some really great teachers and then there are those who do not seem to care as much and do not push the students. Principal leadership is excellent. If you want your child to succeed, be prepared to be involved as a parent.

Posted October 18, 2011

My son's teachers and guidance counselor are all involved and seem to genuinely have the best interest of the students at heart. This is his second year at OPHS, and we have had 99% positive experiences with this school so far. The staff is extremely sharp - once I witnessed a student depart the school campus between classes, and a staff member in a golfcart tracked her down within minutes in order to ensure she had a legitimate reason for leaving. It made me feel very safe having my son in this staff's hands, knowing they are willing to go the extra mile to reach out to our children, in the event a poor decision is made. Thank-you OPHS!

Posted August 2, 2010

this school definitely needs an upgrade i feel as though this school doesnt have as much as the other schools around it so therefor i give it one star and im going to be there for my second yr and is not happy at all.

Posted June 13, 2009

I have had 3 attend this school . 2 have graduated. Drama and an inner city atmosphere does exist. Tardy hall was an easy escape from the classroom;last year students wandered the halls during classtime on a regular basis. School rules seemed to have tighten this year. I feel,unless you are in honors or AP classes, the children are not challenged enough. Homework and/or in depth projects or papers are rarely assigned. My youngest doesn't feel the need to study for exams because his teachers either give them open book tests or go over the exam before hand. The counseling department is efficient and student driven as one would expect from a large school. Your child just has to be lucky enough to be assigned to the right one and find time to go during school hours. Forget about buying your lunch the wait eats up all of your lunch period.

Posted March 29, 2009

Treasure Pickett is the best!!! She has made this mediocre school so much better. Great job!!

Posted December 19, 2008

Much better this year, they are sticking to the rules and I like that.

Posted December 4, 2008

not enough homework; students were behind in subjects when transferred to another county. at open house 2 teachers were not there.

Posted December 3, 2008

I am a graduate of OPHS and UF and now my son is a freshman at OPHS. I was impressed with open house at the beginning of the year and felt the teachers we met were highly engaged. My son loves school and has met a lot of great new friends from many different backgrounds. The administration has worked hard in recent years to enhance the academic program and the overall vibe of the school. The campus looks great too. Good job OPHS.

Posted December 3, 2008

My husband and I graduated from OPHS and we have seen it change and grow over the years for the better. We have a daughter that is graduating next year and is in dual enrollment next year and a son that is a freshmen this year and is doing really well with his grades. I have had wonderful experiences with the guidance department and the teachers. With the new principle you can see how changes are already making a huge difference. Focus is really on the student and their academics.

Posted December 3, 2008

My son attends OPHS and he loves it. My two older girls are graduates of OPHS and everyone of my children have done very well with the help and guidance of the teachers at OPHS. The staff at OPHS is very helpful to the students and the parents. We are all very blessed to have OPHS for our school.

Posted July 30, 2008

I graduated OPHS in the year 2006..I was very pleased with the education that i was able to obtain. With the added addition of Mr. Wingate the principal for my sophomore year, i have seen the school turn inside out and become outstanding. School fights dwindled and i was pleased, i felt like i was in a way better place then when i was a freshman which was 2002...I graduated at the top 20% of my class. When i felt like downgrading to an easier or average class my teachers would not let me, they encouraged me to challenge myself and promoted me to honors, AP classes, and dual enrollment. I took their advice and achieved my goals. I am happy with the way the school turned out by the time my senior year came around. Thanks OPHS, and thanks Mr.Wingate for seeing us in the Halls as he would say.

Posted May 23, 2008

My son is graduating from Orange Park High School this year with a full college scholarship. I have a daughter who graduated from Orange Park High School who is a straight A junior at FSU. I have another daughter who graduated from OPHS who is in Medical School. The education they received at OPHS was wonderful. The AP classes, Honors classes, and Dual Enrollment classes are incredible. They teachers are top notch. Many of the teachers there had all three of my children. Thank- You OPHS !!

Posted October 12, 2007

I do agree about the communications problem with the school. My mother, I know, had a hard time getting in touch with certain teachers and administrators during my first year there. My suggestion is to come to know the guidance department. They are the most helpful part of the campus and can forward you on to the right people to talk to.

Posted October 11, 2007

My daughter is a freshman at OPHS. Having some challenges, coming from a small town in Michigan. I hoped for better communications with the school but they claim because it is so large it is hard to do that. I plan to propose to the school board a better solution to their communication problems.

Posted April 18, 2007

This is my freshman year at orange park i like the school and the teachers but the kids are to much drama i am about to be a sophomore and it is hard. So next year i am going to work my butt off and try to maintain atleast a 3.0 gpa that would be awesome. Overall orenge park is a pretty good school.

Posted April 16, 2007

I am a graduate of OPHS (c/o '04), and I am so proud to be a part of this high school. In my experience, the teachers have all been caring, challenging, and talented at what they do. Sure, the school has grown large, has a police substation, but I've never felt endangered or that our school has become 'innercity'. Our AP and Dual Enrollment programs are outstanding--most students do very well (I got a 5's and 4's on all AP exams). With the addition of Mr. Michael Wingate as a principal late in my senior year (2004), it has only grown by leaps and bounds. School spirit is up, the campus looks great, and the teachers are even more motivated. The extracurricular activities can't be missed--I discovered my love of music here. The guidance department was also very helpful to students. OPHS is a great school, to say the least.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 8, 2007

We moved here 2 years ago my son was then in 9th grade. It was a big change comming from Panama City Beach and a new high school, it took a long time to get used to the way the OPHS is. My son is now in 11th grade and loves the school. He in all honor classes and the teachers have really challenged him to work hard and do his best. I have nothing but good things to say about the school and it administration

Posted May 21, 2006

With the opening of Ridgeview and Flemming Island High Schools, the draw of good student and parents has greatly reduced the quality of student attanding Orange park high School. I had 2 children in this school and can honestly say the environment has become confrontational between students and between teachers and students. The teachers are nonresponsive to the parents. This school has become an innercity school located in a suburban area. Needless to say, I decided to remove my children from this school and place them in a private school. Orange Park has little to offer in my opinion.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

384 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 54% in 2013.

404 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

398 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

413 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

271 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

374 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

433 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian 4% 3%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 3%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Mr. Treasure Pickett
Fax number
  • (904) 272-8181

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)