Lakeside Junior High School

Public | 7-8 | 846 students

Posted October 5, 2013

It's disappointing to see reviews of parents who have posted recently, but list the names of teachers who have been gone for years. I teach at Lakeside, but also sent two of my own children through the school. I have never encountered a group of teachers more committed to helping students succeed regardless of their status. This is a great school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 27, 2012

If you have a gifted or high IQ child, this is NOT the school for you. The best teachers are Mr. Hermes and Mr. Wilson, both gifted. The English department sends home notes with simple words like "education" misspelled and forget science. The Art Department, however, if still run by Mrs. Hollowell is OUTSTANDING. If you are in Fleming Island, the bus ride is a nightmare, no air and a 30 minute transport. I only met the principal our second year there and thought he was thee P.E. coach. He never goes to any award ceremonies or puts himself out for the parents. I still do not know who the vice-principal is. If this is your only choice, I am sorry for you. Children and mixed from areas other than Fleming Island and the result is less than desirable. Teachers only teach for the FCAT and as we are nearing our Junior year, the colleges do not care at all about FCAT results - only ACT and SAT results. Lots of lost time for teaching.

Posted April 26, 2012

I don't know how any of you guys give this a 9 star rating. What year was this? Because this school is very disappointing. Some teachers need to be more professional. Teachers need to keep their hands and thoughts to themselves. Approach the student,talk to the parents and not be so rude. I am so glad my child is going to a private school next year. At least I know my money is not being wasted on these so called teachers!

Posted February 23, 2009

this school has excllent teachers and some great kids

Posted July 24, 2008

This school is ten times better than the catholic school I attended for several years and I feel that if I would have gone through junior high in catholic I would have missed out on an excellent education from teachers who really care. You got two thumbs up from Angela if that means anything to anyone.

Posted September 15, 2007

They have a great gifted program

Posted September 14, 2007

it was great they tought my kid everything

Posted October 15, 2006

I am a student at lakeside this year and I was last year. I don't know how anyone could turn this school down. The teachers are very nice and will help you in any way they can. The sports programs are very good. I'm trying out for soccer this week. This is the best school in Clay County.

Posted January 16, 2006

Like most junior highs, students will do well if they are prepared to take accountability for their work. If your child is not ready to be entirely responsible for his/her work, I'd look for another school. While several of my daughter's teachers kept in regular touch and told us she was failing or near failing, several others waited until we took the initiative to schedule a meeting. Very large school. Easy for kids who are shy or lack good social skills to get lost. On the other hand, lots of classes and activities to choose from.

Posted October 17, 2005

The gifted program is excellent with teachers like mr. Aftuck and mrs. Morris. Mrs.Duchemin and the ljhs chorus are superior rated. Sports teams are mostly county champs. Parents are super involved. Lets go gators!

Posted July 14, 2005

I was an 8th grader here last year and it was and is the best Jr. high in Clay County!

Posted March 24, 2005

My daughter is in the 8th and has attended LSJH for the past two years. She is very artistically inclined & a wonderful creative writer. This did not slip by a couple of wonderful teachers (English & Art) who took her under their wing and have encouraged her talents. Sometimes all it takes is one special person to believe in you to make you believe in yourself. They have given my daughter that gift. Teachers like that make Lakeside extra special. Of course the fact that the grade 'A' education you can count on your child to get is an added plus also. My son will attend LSJH next year, I can relax as a parent knowing I am sending him to a school that not only cares about what the students do while in attendance, but also about where they are going when they leave Lakeside. Thanks LSJH!

Posted May 19, 2004

Maybe this school is a great one to some parents, however, I feel the school is not ESE friendly. This school seems to 'cater' to those with no learning disabilities. The state needs to review the ESE guidelines and spend more on educating the teachers on how to teach an ESE student.

Posted January 30, 2004

As a parent of a seventh grader this year, I was very worried about the transition from elementary to junior high. Lakeside so far has taken away my worries. I stay in constant contact with the teachers, the teachers are enthusiastic at teaching my child, my child is happy with the school and he also looks forward to going to school. Way to go Lakeside! Keep up the good work!

Posted January 12, 2004

I am a freshman who went to Lakeside Junior High the past two years! I was pleased with the teachers and staff there. I felt the teachers went out of their way to help students in need. I am proud that lakeside accomplished so much! Thank you for providing me with a great education. I want to thank the teachers, staff, the principal and vice principal. You all made my two years at lakeside the best. I hope every other student/ parent is as satisfied with your school as I was/am.

Posted January 7, 2004

My child has gone to Lakeside Jr. for the past 2 years. I have found many good and bad things about the school. But, I have found that the Vice-Principle this year is a great person. She is willing to work with the parent and student. She cares about the students, and whats best for them, unlike Lakeside Elm. I have found that there they don't listen to the parents or students. We are lucky to have a great vice-P at Lakeside Jr. May she be here for a long time. Better yet I hope she moves to wherever my child next goes!!

Posted November 12, 2003

My child attends Lakeside Jr. HS and we're very disappointed with the leadership of the school. Principal and Vice Principal could care less about each student as an individual. They've turned a 'blind eye' to lockers that are broken into and other crime that occurs regularly and they are totally inflexible. I recommend you find another school to send your child to.

Posted June 1, 2003

I am a freshmen who attended lakeside Jr. high for the past two years. The after-school activities were extraordinarily pleasing, and the academic quality is outstanding. I felt as if the teachers went out of their way to explain and teach the other students the material.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

396 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

409 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

239 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

386 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

389 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

382 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

446 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school