Fleming Island High School

Public | PK, 9 | 2084 students

Posted May 27, 2014

I am a parent of 4 children who have now graduated from Fleming. I have never had a problem here at this school and all 4 of my kids have enjoyed going being apart of the Eagles. Great school, Great Teachers and a wonderful staff.

Posted October 7, 2013

My son is in his first year at Fleming and loves it. He has found the AICE program to be challenging and has already gotten involved in student Government and other freshman class activities. The majority of his teachers go out of their way to email agendas and other information to parents. The AICE guidance counselor has also been great at answering any questions we may have whether they applied to the program or not. The principal is very approachable and makes a point of attending even the smaller school functions. We moved to Clay County for the schools and been very happy so far.

Posted March 18, 2013

My Daughter graduated from FIHS in 2007 and my Son is a student now. FIHS is an excellent school. The teachers and staff are outstanding! My Daughter had an issue with another student bullying her and all it took was one phone call to the principal before it was resolved. All of the programs are very well organized and the guidance counselors have been there every step of the way for us. One thing to keep in mind when reading these reviews is that most people only post a review when they're having issues but I can assure you that there are 1,000's of families that would recommend FIHS. We moved to Fleming Island 10 years ago specifically for the school district and have not been disappointed in any way.

Posted January 25, 2013

I am only writing this review because of how ridiculous these other reviews are. I am a former student of FIHS. The academics of the school are above par. But the curriculum that the child is to get is solely based on their academic prowess. The AICE program is as good as it gets (No I wasn't in AICE), while the standard classes are decent. I was in mostly honors and AP classes but I had numerous standard classes as well and they are taught by good teachers. Teachers who show regard for students well being and care for the kids WHO ACTUALLY CARE. The kids who act like idiots in class don't get the same POSITIVE attention. I wonder why... then the parents go on rants about how the teachers don't care about the kids, yet their kids are the ones acting out... Now this is a HIGH SCHOOL remember, so there is going to be bullying no matter what. It is going to happen, some no bullying campaign won't help, trust me. Kids will be mean, it happens, so deal with it or home school them or put them in a private school and stop complaining. The kids don't fight, they're too prissy for it. In 4 years there I remember like, 10 fights max, mostly girl fights. It's a good school.

Posted August 14, 2012

The guidance department is handled unprofessionally, and definitely does not address the best for each student. Beware!!

Posted August 14, 2012

First of this school is horrible the teachers seem to have no regard for the students well being or even care too the fact that they are even teaching us instead they act as if everyday was one day closer too being away from the students, please if your going too try to send your kids here yeah the multi million dollar school looks awesome on the outside, but Clay high is like 10 miles up the road and Orange Park not that far either, if your planning to come to Fleming Island for the school, find a nice house in green cove and never let your children get zoned for this school, i wish thats what i did.

Posted July 30, 2012

"The front office receptionist make everyone feel as if they were bothering her and unimportant. Lack of leadership." Agree 100%. This also includes other staff members, and teachers who lack skills to deal with children (and seem they are just teaching to have some kind of authoritative position in their lives, not because they like to teach) , like others reviews mention. Every time I have to walk in to this school I have to take a deep breath and prepare myself for the regular and inevitable unconformable experience, I can't imagine how many children feel this way every day they have to come to this school. I hope to see changes this year as well.

Posted July 28, 2012

I definitely agree with the other reviews regarding the front office woman that you have to deal with. She is so unfriendly and seems annoyed every time I come there. Hoping the new principal will rectify this. Both my kids are honors. One graduated last year and we are both thankful he is done. Academically he did well but as for the teachers being competent and caring, not so much. He admits that he didn't learn much. I have another child going into 10th this year and I pray that it will be better than last year. He had a few good teachers and a few terrible teachers. I am a very involved parent when it comes to education and trying to jump through the hoops to have conferences with teachers who don't seem to care about their students and have poor, unprofessional attitudes was so frustrating to me. I think this school is going downhill fast. So many great teachers are leaving and being replaced with people who don't enjoy teaching or like kids for that matter. The electives and programs like AICE, Business Finance, & TV Production are a joke. They sound good on paper but few benefit from them. Depending on the day, counselors can be helpful or not. Good luck.

Posted February 15, 2012

I have 2 children that attend this school. 1 is a senior the other a sophomore. We have been very pleased! My kids are average students, some honors classes. They have been on a few sports teams but not every year. They have not participated in any groups or clubs. Just some background info. We moved to Fleming Island in 1997 because of the school. The kids have attended school in this area from pre-k to current. If we have had issues to address they have be met with full attention an concern. We have always felt that the kids best interest was attended to. All staff, ads, teachers an administrator have been available and willing to assist us when ever needed. The kids safety is always first. I only have good things to say about the entire school! We are very fortunate to have this school!

Posted November 21, 2011

I came to post a review and came across many similar reviews of what I was going to address...This school needs to run an anti-bully campaign, and enforce more parental involvement on this matter. Many kids with "I am gangster" attitude", bullying kids with better moral values.These bullies start their verbal attacks in school hallways and inside the school buss, bringing the worst on the buss stops. It is a shame that children look forward to the High School years and withing the first month of class they rude awakening. Many parents moved these neighborhood due to the "great" school system. This school is no longer what it used to be when it gain its great reputation. Great families have moved in the near neighborhoods, but also families with poor family values and children with lack of parental guidance, with that "wanna' be gangster" attitude. Bringing down the happy, safe, and family oriented stigma these neighborhoods have.These are the same people who have ruined the quality of the high school experience for our children. I agree 100% with the FCAT comments bellow. Not to mention the awful attitude of many of these teachers and staff members.

Posted September 24, 2011

I definitely would not rate this school a 10! My 2 sons went to FIHS and performed fairly well academically. It seemed as though the students in the honor's and AP classes received a lot more attention from the teachers, for developing the students for college. My daughter started there and I saw a whole different side on this school. The front office receptionist make everyone feel as if they were bothering her and unimportant. Lack of leadership. The principal was aloof to the students. Teachers that stood out, Ms. Weldon, Mr. Taylor and Mr. Neidrich. My daughter ended up transferring out of this school 2 months before her senior year, because of the tremendous amount of peer pressure and cattiness from the girls at that school. She was threatened and bullied many times and asked to change schools 2 years before we made the change. Once we transferred, I realized how rude and disrespectful the staff was at FIHS. The staff and administration at OPHS were so helpful and courteous. Even the principal introduced herself to my daughter. So, glad we made the change. My daughter is flourishing now in her senior year! Wish I had sent all my kids to a different school.

Posted January 31, 2011

I purposely purchased my home in Fleming Island for my daughter to attend Fleming Island High School. The lack of interest from the guidance office is truly a sad affair! I have never been treated so unprofessionally and was embarrassed that my daughter was witness to it. To be pointed at without at word and directed into the male guidance counselors office with not even a handshake or introduction with again another finger point infuriated me. I was dressed in business attire and expected to be treated with respect as a mother and a professional business person. My daughter and I were reaching out for help during a difficult time and were treated so poorly. I can only hope that this is not a typical event for other parents. I did speak with the Principle and he did offer kindness however unable to offer any help with the original issue. That being, my daughter asking to be transfered to another class where she would be able to study and learn, from as class where the teacher was unable to do so due a discipline problem with several other students. We were refused this request .

Posted November 19, 2010

Our son graduated from this high school and our two daughters now attend FIHS. The academics are decent and the teachers competent, but all three of our kids were made miserable by an influential minority of pampered suburbans white kids who model their behavior after inner-city thugs. They use urban slang, deface property with grafitti, and get into fights. The moral and spiritual impact on our kids has been devastating. Wish we had never put them in that environment. If you love your kids and can afford it, you will be much better off putting them in a private school.

Posted May 28, 2009

Fleming Island HS provides everything a motivated student will need to get accepted into any college they want. The AP and Honors teachers go out of their way to communicate with the parents and be available to the students. The sports and band programs are outstanding. We are fortunate to have this caliber of education in a public school, in our community.

Posted February 6, 2009

As a student of FIHS, I felt that my view of the school is extremely important. The fact of the matter pertaining to FCAT is yes, they do stress it way to much. As a junior I'm extremely glad I do not have to take the test this year. From what I have heard from my previous teachers FCAT is especially being fed by the spoon fulls to students, due to the budget cuts from the county during 2009. You see, the better the schoolas a whole does on the FCAT, the more money they recieve from the state. Now you know exactly why it is shoved down our throats so much. The teachers at FIHS seem to be pretty well educated...as long as it's an Honors or above teacher. Standard teachers are exactly like the students they teach.Standard.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 17, 2008

The academic opportunities are vast and my daughter (who was a Valedictorian of her Jr. High in CA and never received a 'B') has been challenged. Only issue with the entire state is the obsession with 'FCAT's'. Lets face it...all schools have standardized testing, yet shouldn't we teach everything-not simply what they know will be on the FCAT's, thus making their schools seem 'better'?

Posted July 9, 2008

My daughter has been disgusted with this school since starting 10th grade there, and I've tried to be encouraging, but I also am not impressed with it. The administrative staff is burned out and has minimal interest in being friendly. Only a few teachers had a real love of teaching that I noted from conferences with them. FCAT is the all-comsuming entity that seems to drive that school, and my daughter was so sick of hearing 'FCAT' that mentally she shut it out after some time. Sports are a big thing there, but since she didn't play a sport, there wasn't a lot of involvement. I contacted a few people via email regarding extra-curricular activites, but never heard back. Wealthy kids with disregard for authority or dress code (short-shorts permitted, and an abundance of Abercrombie). My daughter never opened a book and still got A/B's. We're going to Clay.

Posted April 15, 2008

Fleming Island is amazing. The students are great, teachers are great. Its just an all around GREAT school. The band and ROTC programs are superb and I would recommend this school to anyone.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 27, 2008

We just moved our child out of this school and down the road to Middleburg High. The environment at FIHS was too chaotic and the FCAT stressed so much the students weren't learning anything but how to take a test. Our son said the running joke at school was when Ward s said 'see you in the courtyard' because he never went there.

Posted March 13, 2008

This is a great school with great teachers and students. Although it may offer more electives than other schools, some would say it doesn t offer what the student need for academics; but that is not accurate. We have a daughter who is a sophomore and we are very impressed with this school. Remember, this is a public school. If you want better, you can put them in private schools that start at $10K a year. Our daughter has always been in private schools, until tuition went to $13K and we could not afford it any longer. You won t find a better public school in any state then FIHS. It is clean, they offer great sports and the staff is kind. The teachers are very educated and they are available for whatever the students may need. The students dress nicely and are very respectful to everyone.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

541 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

2013

2011

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Source: Florida Department of Education

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 1%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options