Orlando Science Middle High Charter School

Charter | 6-12 | 515 students

Posted August 20, 2014

As a parent of two students at OSS I must say that I'm very satisfied with education my children are receiving. The school has various after school clubs which really enrich the students. This is not a school if your child is interested in sports. There are know competitive teams. I am really happy that I put my kids in OSS. It a small school and the kids are exposed to the junk and negative influences that exist in traditional public schools.

Posted July 28, 2014

This school is honestly so stressful, the school is is not even a school, it's a warehouse. there are no electives for students to choose from except languages. The teachers put the students through so much, and they don't even update oss connect regularly. Most of the teachers are so disorganized just by looking at their desks. most of my friends want to leave this school, and litteraly every summer you get a project where we have to read 3 books and do three different projects, as of they don't already put us through enough already. Hush schoolers don't even have a prom or homecoming, and all the field trips are rip offs except fr gadventure. we barely have any fun, all we do in class is take notes and have worksheets. Most of the teachers shoudnt even BE TEACHERS, it's honestly ridiculous, and no offense but there are mostly foreign teachers, and maybe a couple of American teachers. Most parents think this school is amazing, but they are not going through the everyday struggles of the students. I bet the parents wouldn't stand ONE DAY IN THAT SCHOOL.

Posted April 29, 2014

I love Orlando Science, my child is gifted and was not being challenged enough, also dealing with a bit of bullying at school. My child went from an A student to C's and being very anxious. Since starting at Orlando Science my child was placed in classes with gifted children like her and she is once again loving school, getting good grades and being challenged.

Posted March 19, 2014

Thank you to the faculty and administration of OSS for providing our daughter with 3 memorable years of advanced middle school training. The solid foundation of academic skills that she has acquired under your direction have enabled her to qualify for honors and Advanced Placement courses in any high school of her choice. Those AP courses will provide her the opportunity to earn college credits while in high school. Our daughter's 6th grade Advanced Reading teacher honed her critical thinking skills to help her earn a perfect score on the 2012 FCAT Reading Exam. Thanks OSS for supporting National Junior Honor Society. Thank you to our 8th grade Language Arts teacher for above average attention to our daughter's writing talents. Congratulations to the Music teacher for getting 8th grade adolescent youths excited about music class. A special thanks to this years Dean of Students, a caring personal mentor and professional, for investing much of his personal time and resources into OSS extracurricular programs such as the College Mentorship Program and the Model United Nations Team.

Posted February 24, 2014

From the place where I came from to get in to a Science School we have a competitive entrance examination. OSS should give an entrance examination to get more appropriate and deserving students rather than lottery.

Posted February 21, 2014

My son is in high school and I thank The Lord that we found this school ... He is doing sooooo well and his teachers are receptive to open communications. The Principal is a very nice man and is available when needed. Yes they do push the children - but that is how its supposed to be - how else are they to succeed?? You cannot keep them in a bubble - college will be way tougher - here they are preparing for that next educational step! Thank you OSS!!!

Posted February 8, 2014

this school not the best so far i went to so far everrrr and i am in the 7 grade when i get to 8 grade the graduation is going to be boring becase i went to my sisters its in a hotel because theres no room in the scholl becaue it was a warehouse

Posted February 8, 2014

I go to school at OSS and have since 6th grade i'll admit that at first I didn't like the school because i didn't really know anybody but after 2 weeks, i was at home. All of you "parents" complaining that your children are being treated unfairly, prove it. I have only seen my peers be treated badly or unfairly by one teacher. If your student is being "bullied", they can suck it up. At every middle school there will be problems with bullying and such but that's how it goes. OSS actually has less bullying than I have seen or heard of from any other public school. If your child can't deal with what it takes to be a successful student at OSS, then they probably either don't try hard enough or they just don't belong at Orlando Science. Yes, the school is small. Yes, the teachers work us pretty hard. Yes, the teachers may show favoritism sometimes. But if your child can't deal with that, or you can't, then you certainly don't belong at Orlando Science. -An 8th grader who is extremely mad about previous comments

Posted January 20, 2014

Our 7th grader is half-way through his first year at the school and he is thriving. This school is not a good fit for everyone as there is a lot of homework and no choice in electives. But, for us, it is perfect. There is no bullying at all, and the kids in the honors classes are taking their education seriously. The uniforms help for kids who want to learn and not worry about appearances as much. The teachers have listened to our concerns and answer our emails when we have questions. We also had a very nice home visit from two of the teachers and an administrator. The building is clean and in good condition. The student body is diverse, which we want for our child, and there opportunities to engage with the community, learn about other countries (meeting at restaurants w/a lecture), and participate in clubs. Very satisfied overall but you need to be dedicated to your studies to enjoy this school.

Posted December 17, 2013

An excellent charter school, and teachers that are willing to go the extra mile. This school has plenty of extra curricular choices, but clearly focuses on preparing their kids for college, and for a career in science, math and technology fields. We have been very pleased so far.

Posted December 16, 2013

If you want your child to be successful academically you should choose Orlando Science. Teachers are very dedicated in this school. They spend more hours with students in tutorings every single week. The school does have nice gym and sports teams unlike other many charter schools. The school has robotics team which went to Nationals and then World Championship last year, and the school has been champions in Science Olympiad for last three years. The schools has soccer team which is pretty good and is aiming to participate in the soccer leagues througout the central Florida. The school has very safe enviroment in comparison to the other schools in the district, Almost no BULLYING...Teachers are responding the emails very quickly..They also do Homevisits to the families to cooperate with parents for the success of the students. I would highly recommend the school for every parents and student.

Posted October 27, 2013

I have two children at OSS. One has been going there for years. The things I like about OSS is how well my children fit in. They were picked on at the school they went to before and now they fit in. This school has almost no bullying. My kids' friends that go to other schools say there is bullying daily, fights daily and lots of cussing. My kids see and hear very little of that at OSS. The school is about education, not athletics. My kids learn. They do have a lot of homework but they are getting a great education. Yes, the school is very diverse but my kids have never complained about not being able to understand a teacher. Some have accents but they all speak English. They don't have a fancy cafeteria so I pack my kids a lunch. They have a very nice gym room and they are working on expanding the school. It is a small school so there might not be as many options but there is also less trouble. The school offers AP classes, many after school clubs, activities and has many challenging classes. If you want your child to learn and get a great education then OSS is a great school for your child.

Posted October 19, 2013

My biggest complaint about this school is that they are hiring too many teachers who cannot hold a proper conversation in English and for many of the core subjects! How are these kids supposed to learn? This seriously needs to change and is the reason I am removing my child from this school. Two years of this problem is two years too many!

Posted August 14, 2013

I don't quite understand all of the complaints about this school. Of course they have many flaws, but they are not that bad. Yes, we did get a lot of projects this summer, but if you can't handle it then you should find a different school. This school is for students looking for a challenge, and that is exactly what you will get. The teachers do have accents, but you are still able to understand what they are trying to say. You do get conduct points, but there are warnings before those are given. People are complaining about bullying and how little time we have at the lockers, but that is to make sure you don't have time to bully someone during transition. You have quite a lot of opportunities at this school. For example, we were allowed to go to Tallahassee and meet some state legislators. The school might be small, but their academics make up for that. We get a lot of practice with science and math. We also have SAT practice; even as a 6th grader you can practice. Since the school does not get that many funds, it is hard to expand and have a proper cafeteria and field. You can't really blame them, and they are trying their best to expand. It might not be the best, but it is good.

Posted August 8, 2013

My school is amazing. Oss has flaws and i mean many flaws. For example the campus is horrible. The lack of electives is unfortunate but bearable. Also I do have to complain about the organization of the clubs. I had to of my clubs end because of lack organization. But the school has many good aspects about it like the extra-curricular such as science olympiad and math olympiad. Also to be honest six book reports for the summer may seem a lot but when i was doing them they were quite easy, considering you have more than two months to do them. The teachers are either ok or GREAT. I would have to say the more committed you are the more you like the school. This school is for hardworking kids looking for unique school experience. Although there is bullying I think the world needs bullying because many people that change the world were probably called a nerd. The workload can be a lot at times but this challenges the students. I try to convince some of my friends to come here but the experience is unexplainable so I would not recommend this school to everyone. Ultimately this school is not for the average public school kid but for "nerds". Brought to you by Pierre Lesperance.

Posted August 3, 2013

I hate this school for my daughter i dont think i will send my kids back to oss it really should be an F school my daughter got a 2 on her math fcat score and thats her teachers fault

Posted August 3, 2013

I don't like this school at all it's suppose to be a good school but it really isn't. First off this summer they had to read six books and do a book report and project. Its not even a school building it's a warehouse and we don't have a stage for talent shows and such no kitchen either somewhere else makes our food and they bring it in a random vanthe lunch meat is pink sometimes The chicken and hot dogs are pink.Also the teachers are just I don't even know. They pick favorites they give conduct points to everyone except the really super smart kids even if they talk in class it's not fair. Also the teachers can't even speak normal English they're accents are so strong and funny and they get all mad and such when we can't understand and laugh. Also they teachers sometimes make the students cry and it's upsetting seeing your fellow classmates cry because a teacher yelled at them or something. Also MANY students this year got referrals for being at their locker too long or standing in the hallway who does that? No one exactly. So send your kids here if you don't believe this they can tell you themself that this so is an F not A school.

Posted August 3, 2013

this is a sorry excuse for a school all they do is pull the science and math olympiad kids out of class and they leave the other kids in the class to do nothing they cant teach right I promise you that for a specific class you can even ask the teacher themself we took notes every day (maybe like 10 times we did something different) but otherwise notes and videos. after notes we turn them in and watch videos and guess what we do after the video ends we turn in the notes we took on the videos I promise you im being completly serious and im not lying. NOTES = ALL YOU DO

Posted July 26, 2013

I love the staff and teachers at this school! You will never see teachers as involved with your kids as in this school especially the math and science ones . The teachers give their best everyday and even spend most of their weekend supporting kids in science or robotics or even preparing them for Sat test .No school is perfect but this one will prepare your kid for success ! The reviews are mixed but believe me if your kid does not do well at this school , please do not blame it on teachers or staff but try to help your child . I have seen teachers pull children who were struggling in math or other subjects and spend one on one time to better prepare them for the state tests . You will never see that in any other schools even in private schools. It is no surprise that we see all those trophies at the entrance of the school. Those are the results of a very hard work done by students and teachers from OSS . We cannot deny that . 1st place this year for 6th, 7th, 8th grade Occtm ( math competition) and 1st for state science Olympiad . Thanks teachers and staff from OSS

Posted July 25, 2013

OSS has potential but they need more organization overall and provide more electives and sports. Teachers give conduct points for petty non-disruptive behaviors. My child Also had issue understanding a math teacher who's primary language was not English and it had an effect on his grade. The teacher was also was not helpful with work in some cases. Elementary students do not have a playground to play at which supposedly they where raising money but not have seen it yet. After school care is not organized and not a lot of centers or activities for elementary students who are there more than 2 hours. On a good note there are some teachers who care about their students and future. The offer clubs for all ages and free tutoring. Classes are small which helps with teachers having the ability to work with students more. A lot of smart kids who are wanting to learn.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

122 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

122 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

111 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

111 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

79 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

43 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

43 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

116 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

28 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

150 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

17 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • First place in Science Olympiad (2011)
  • Grade A school that made AYP (2010)
  • AdvancED accreditation (2010)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Gym

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • DR. YALCIN AKIN
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Special schedule

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper