933 students|Orange

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

They just do what they need to get by which is as little as possible. There is no accountability as the principal couldn't care lees about anything other than ratings.

Amount of homework: Disagree

they get none and then if it is handed in big deal. There are no checks and balances with this school. Anything goes and it is a body of teachers that do as little as possible.

They are very good about getting information out for homework and upcoming events my child is doing very well in the school and seems to be happy. This is our first year there after private school for many years. I really love The information for grades as well on a daily basis the teachers are logging it in. My only reason for putting four stars is because I have had a little bit of a challenge trying to speak with The admissions director and high school guidance counselor. In the end it did all get straightened out. I also wish that they still had physical education for high school that is active and not online. I wish they had a band option that is not mandatory marching band as well. Information is very important to me and that's where I feel they really stand out. I feel we need to know how our children are doing before they get to far behind And this is where they Excel. First year, but so far so good. I feel this school gives us another option in an area where some of the Florida public schools are not the best option. Many of their rules are more strict than the private schools but I feel this is good for the number of students that they are dealing with. Also the students per teacher are larger than I expected in high school and then I believe they've had in recent years. I did my research before coming to this school. All in all we are having a good experience.

Cornerstone Charter offers a small town/private school feel for students who live in a city. The teachers really seem excellent and caring, and they're not all fresh out of college. Administration is accessible. The school offers all of the sports and activities you'd expect at a regular public school, and they have the focus on academics you'd expect from a private prep school. So far, I am all-around impressed with Cornerstone!

Our experience has been fantastic. Our teachers have been excellent, so far. The administration is excellent.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Some of the previous reviewers have said pretty horrible things about Cornerstone. Please be aware that these could just be sour grapes. Our experience has been great. My daughter has ADHD and her teachers have been very accommodating, so far. Cornerstone is a municipally chartered school founded by the cities of Belle Isle and Edgewood, two communities just south of Orlando. The citizens of these communities get first dibs in the independently conducted lottery. People from all over Orange county are vying to get their kids into our school and the waiting list is a mile long. That is how good the reputation of this school is. Even though the school has been asset to our community and an excellent investment for the families of Belle Isle and Edgewood, not all of the citizens support the school, particularly the older conservatives that do not have children in school. They thought it was a waste. Also, there have been families who lost their spot because they refused to complete the required 30 volunteer hours. If I had to guess these are the sour grapes calling the school "snobby". The school has created an excellent sense of community because of the required volunteer hours. Whenever I am on campus there are always plenty of parents around. The ONLY complaint I have is that they do not offer foreign language in the elementary grades. The academics are very good. This year the school went above and beyond the math requirements for first grade and taught the kids how to count money because that had been taken out in the FL common core. This was above and beyond the math that they were "required to teach".

Cornerstone isn't a perfect school, but not many are. While the administration does care a lot about what students are wearing (sometimes more than they should) it's overall a good school. The sports are getting better every year and so are the academics. Most of the teachers are good teachers and really there aren't a lot of big issues with the school. It's good school. Some people just expect everything to be perfect (see reviews below) and that's just not possible.

Let's get real people - the school is four years young and received an A grade from the state. It has had 6 principals. Want to blame someone look at the "Board" specifically the Mayor of Belle Isle, Bill Brooks who is also the Chairman of the governing board. If the administration does not "bow" to his every command - he gets rid of them or threatens them. He doesn't care that EDUCATORS (at the Department of Education and with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) see the school as being an educationally sound facility. I guess having been a student he thinks he knows all about running a school - WRONG. I wonder how much he is profiting from the school being overseen by the for profit school organization Academica. Is my child learning - absolutely. Is my child being challenged - absolutely. Is the school perfect - no but name one school in Central Florida that is. I am proud of what the school is doing for their students. I am embarrashed that the City of Belle Isle's mayor wants to run the school like a prison with no concern about the students or staff.

This school is horrible for how they treat students with disabilities. And what is even more amazing the principal has a degree is ESE Studies...so sad of her to do this to children she has taught...only concerned with how they look of standardized testing...do NOT care about those who need additional help...charter school receiving public funds but only want selected students...this school was created for rich, stuck up parents who do not want their chidlren to go to Oak Ridge...so they have to select students who will make them look better...if they want to be a true community school then accept everyone as you should.

They do care more about the gifted learners than those who need time to grow and learn. They are quick to hand out suspensions without ever giving the child a chance to make it right. They offer no opportunities to help a child who may need counseling. They are just labeled as the bad kid. They should put more energy into getting the resources to help these children than kicking them out of the school.

Last modified Cornerstone Academy Charter is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.