Orlando, FL
Students enrolled: 3,684
After care: No

Posted March 27, 2015
I was shocked at how great this program is! I have gone to public school all my life and when I had to do FLVS this year I thought it would be very difficult. It is one on the best things that has happened in my academic career. The teachers are so amazing and completely dedicated to teaching us, all of my emails and questions are answered within 24 hours. There is an abundance of extra help whenever I am struggling and the teachers are always understanding. The program is extremely organized at all times and it allows everyone to work at their own pace. I honestly wish I didn't have to go back to my local high school next year. I think this program is especially good for high school students, it has given me so much more time to do my community service and focus on getting ready for college. Do not hesitate to enroll!!

Posted February 09, 2015
I have been an FLVS student for over 3 years now and I absolutely love it! I get to work at my own pace, have great help from teachers, and I still get to participate in many clubs for volunteer hours or just for fun! I love how I can make friends like at an actual public school and also get my highschool credits on time. :)

Posted October 18, 2014
I'm beyond satisfied with FLVS. My son is in high school, and the classes offered at his level seem to be more challenging than traditional classes, and I like this because I know he'll be better prepared for college. I think the school is much better for the students than it is for teachers...as they sometimes seem a bit overwhelmed. They work hard! My son's teachers have always been available via email, text, or phone whenever he needs assistance, and there is a helpline available for students as well. If my son is struggling with a particular topic, he can stay on the lesson as long as necessary until he has a firm grasp of the information, unlike traditional school where they move on even if students are still struggling. When the lessons come easy to him, he can zip through them quickly and move on. The teachers are more like my son's partners rather than strict authoritative figures...and they seem to want him to succeed. I've actually experienced situations with teachers who did not like my son or were trying to sabotage him...I don't have to worry about those types of situations with FLVS. The flexibility is great as well. My son takes Regular, Honors and AP classes.

Florida Virtual School Full Time 2

Posted October 03, 2014
Second experience with FLVS and neither one good. First child was trying to fit classes around chronic illness, FLVS unwilling to be flexible due to need. Second child now needed enrichment at level not offered by their school, finding course is designed with roadblocks preventing moving forward, unable to take module without collaboration partner which they do not assign, provide or assist, unable to take end of module test without conference with teacher, have to take pre-test to determine what to take in next module but all instructors unavailable due to conference, they provide no coverage or support. FLVS, do not pull out all teachers, leads and backups simultaneously for a full week, leaving students adrift! Teacher seems nice and sincere but the system is poorly designed. New student cannot catch up because obstacles placed in the way, disappointed.

Posted June 22, 2014
Florida Virtual School is free online public school serving students in the state of Florida. The full time program runs on an academic calendar but they also have a program where students can take courses to work toward early graduation or if their current traditions school does not offer the course they are seeking. Certified and caring staff that really do out the student at the center of all decisions.
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 02, 2014
The middle school is excellent. The teachers prepare students for FCAT and high school. Teachers are very helpful whenever students need them. If students webmail them, they will reply within 24 hours or less. A student's homeroom teacher also checks in with them every month by phone call to make sure they are on track. In addition, students can attend live lessons in which there is a virtual white board. Livelessons are like virtual classrooms. If you are concerned about the socializing aspect of the school, there is no fear. Usually before the livelessons start, teachers allow students to talk amongst each other, and everyone is really nice. There is also a school directory where you can contact other students. They also offer field trips all around Florida and many clubs. The art classes are great! They give instructional videos on how to draw. Science is very interactive. In Science students can do virtual labs or small, safe experiments at home. I enjoy their Spanish program. Students use a lesson with audio of Spanish words to learn how to say things. The school also provides native spanish speaking tutors. Algebra offers tutoring everyday from 5-10p.m. I recommend FLVS.

Posted February 14, 2014
This school is absolutely wonderful! The teachers are completely amazing, helpful, and very caring! We could not ask for more in a school! Their curriculum is wonderful and my kids enjoy learning again! Thank you FLVSFT! We love you! We have recommended you to a few other parents and I know of one family that has made their change in schools! Thanks again!

Posted January 30, 2014
Great academically great teachers...I wouldn't recommend it for elementary school kids unless the parent expects to be completely involved. Even a middle school child has to be very independent to do the program without any assistance. There is a lot of great courses for academically ahead kids. As in any school, I think true help of a child on a 504 or IEP falls on the parent's shoulders, which only makes sense, it is at home. There is also a homeschool version for middle school, so parents can opt for that and put them back in the public school version for high school to get a diploma. In states that don't allow Connections Academy (FLVS-FT), there is a public school version that costs $600 a month. Basically, it is the same program. That says a lot. You can't compare these little $25 a month virtual homeschool programs to FLVS-FT. Pluses and minuses in any school, but overall, I find it a big plus. It can be difficult to be the authority figure for teaching, but in today's day and age with what is going on in schools, I feel better with my choice, and my school district is very well rated. It is not just about the education available, but the atmosphere.

Posted August 01, 2013
I really like the level of transparency in communications with FLVS. communication is easy, supplies get to your home on time, your child can learn at their pace and there is plenty of support.

Florida Virtual School Full Time 3

Posted October 09, 2012
I 'm teaching first grade to a borderline gifted student. It is as much work for me as it is for him.You need to be able to set up equipment, create word documents, scan and attach assignments to e-mails etc.You can mail them in but it could take more then a month+ to get feedback and by then you don't recall the assignment.The Art course is very bad. The other core courses are much better, my student enjoys the videos and annimation found within the lessons. We opted for outside Gym which needs to be 150 min. a week by having him take karate lessons. For this grade you must do a min. of 20 hours a week (including gym). I found it hard to fill all that time and ended up ahead in most of the classes before the end of the semester.This isn't something for K-2 grade that can be done in a parent's "spare time" it takes a set aside time each day to accompish. It takes dedication on a parents part to make this program work for young children.We enjoy our teacher, but she is often behind in her calls and grading, not because she is a poor teacher but I suspect because she has so many students.I didn't grade the prinncipal because I have never interacted with her.

Florida Virtual School Full Time
5401 S. Kirkman Road, Orlando, FL  32835
Last modified Florida Virtual School Full Time is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Florida Virtual School Full Time Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top