3,684 students|Fl Virtual

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Supports LD students: Disagree

It's not even there because the student is going to be declared as not a good fit

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The leadership is absent due to the fact how many things that are plain wrong there. Any normal leader would have fixed that long ago.

A full and complete disaster. The principal is unavailable due to the fact that it's next to impossible to get their info out of the staff. Malfunctioning software and lousy teacher. Arrogant assistant principal. Useless customer support. If there is an issue - even with their communication system, it's the student's and a parent's fault. They demand that your child text the teacher's private phone for "assessment" as a "common" practice and disclose the availability of other options only after the parent interferes. My child thought the whole experience was grossly inappropriate, however, per their assistant principal, they can do no wrong and my child is not a "good fit" because he happens to think that it's gross when his teacher would call his personal phone or he would be required to call or text teacher's personal phone as a condition of the class.

This was our first year at FLVS and we absolutely loved it. I love it, my son loves it. Such a big difference than going to a physical school and not getting the time and attention to actually learn something. We worked at his pace and he has brought his grades way up. He's already saying that he wants to go all the way to graduation with FLVS. I do believe that's what is going to happen. Thank you FLVS !!!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I feel the teachers are there when you need them, although they are very flexible, not pushy, let you work at your own pace for the most part and work with you as a team.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Just barely a bit too much. I think some of the P assignments are a bit lengthy, but over all I love all of the classes that this school offers, including the computer classes where you learn how to use the Microsoft Office program including Power Point, Excel, and Word, as well as basic typing skills. This is third and fourth grade and I think it's a great thing!

Develops character: Strongly agree

Teaches many informative classes including, safety, manners, ethics, and more. Each class is detailed, instructive, and usually involves a quiz to make sure there is an understanding of the material.

This is an amazing option if you feel stressed and exhausted trying to be involved with Polk County Florida schools and just feeling like you are getting no where.

My son has been going to FLVS for a few years. This past year they went through some changes for the worse. The best thing about virtual school is that you can work with your child at their own pace. This year, however, they are narrowing down on that flexibility. They are demanding that you follow their schedule that they provide, or you won't get the school hours for that day, which gives you less time in getting your child to master the subject if they are having trouble as they expect you to move onto the next lesson on the following day or you will not achieve attendance for that class. They also can assign your child extra mandatory lessons where they have to attend online, whereas in the past these were provided, but not enforced. If you miss them, they will give you an assignment to get partial credit, but the partial credit is still a 50% which is a failing grade. My issue this year has not only been the lack of flexibility, but lack of help as well. My computer had broke, and unfortunately I was told that it would be cheaper to buy another rather than to get it fixed. The school says that they will provide you a school laptop if needed, but when I asked them for one temporarily, they told me to take my son to the library. Also, unfortunately for us, I did not have the transportation at the time as my transmission went. Still after explaining this they still declined, stating that my income was too high. I am a single mother and a waitress, so go figure. In the meantime, we tried to make it to the library as often as we could and did lessons in the book, and workbooks everyday. I finally did get up on my feet and eventually got a new computer for my son, but he was too far behind at that point. Even though we had taken the time to catch up and worked everyday (weekends included), they still wouldn't remove his failing grades for missed live lessons we couldn't get to, and wouldn't give us attendance for the days we stayed home and worked in the books. Because of the lack of support and flexibility, I am now choosing to transfer my son to another school, with mostly A's, a few B's and a couple of F's due to their "school policy" of not being able to assist us, or allow us a reasonable credit for makeup work that we did. With their new policies, I don't see the benefit in going here unless your child is being bullied in school.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

They can't be effective if they have hundreds of students and they are not obligated to assist them.

Last modified Florida Virtual School Full Time is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.