3,684 students|Famu Lab Sch

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted December 15, 2015
Ms. Griffith, his teacher last year, was excellent! The school was flexible and you could move at the student's pace as long as you met the semester deadlines. They provided the students with extra help online classes that you could go to each week in English and Language Arts if needed. If you wanted to go every week you could, or if you couldn't make it to one, they would email you a recording and you wouldn't get grade deducted. This year is completely different. They won't even send you a recorded lesson. All you get is a Powerpoint, a make up assignment, and a 50% failing grade after completion. The curriculum is easy to follow with lots of entertainment, games, and interaction to keep the kids interested. I would recommend this school if it was how it was last year. This year with their strict policies and scheduling, there isn't much difference in sending your child to a bricks and mortar school as far as flexibility goes, and the child being able to work at their own pace.

Florida Virtual School Full Time 1

Posted December 15, 2015
My son has been going to FLVS for a few years. This past year they went through some changes for the worse. The best thing about virtual school is that you can work with your child at their own pace. This year, however, they are narrowing down on that flexibility. They are demanding that you follow their schedule that they provide, or you won't get the school hours for that day, which gives you less time in getting your child to master the subject if they are having trouble as they expect you to move onto the next lesson on the following day or you will not achieve attendance for that class. They also can assign your child extra mandatory lessons where they have to attend online, whereas in the past these were provided, but not enforced. If you miss them, they will give you an assignment to get partial credit, but the partial credit is still a 50% which is a failing grade. My issue this year has not only been the lack of flexibility, but lack of help as well. My computer had broke, and unfortunately I was told that it would be cheaper to buy another rather than to get it fixed. The school says that they will provide you a school laptop if needed, but when I asked them for one temporarily, they told me to take my son to the library. Also, unfortunately for us, I did not have the transportation at the time as my transmission went. Still after explaining this they still declined, stating that my income was too high. I am a single mother and a waitress, so go figure. In the meantime, we tried to make it to the library as often as we could and did lessons in the book, and workbooks everyday. I finally did get up on my feet and eventually got a new computer for my son, but he was too far behind at that point. Even though we had taken the time to catch up and worked everyday (weekends included), they still wouldn't remove his failing grades for missed live lessons we couldn't get to, and wouldn't give us attendance for the days we stayed home and worked in the books. Because of the lack of support and flexibility, I am now choosing to transfer my son to another school, with mostly A's, a few B's and a couple of F's due to their "school policy" of not being able to assist us, or allow us a reasonable credit for makeup work that we did. With their new policies, I don't see the benefit in going here unless your child is being bullied in school.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted September 06, 2015
They can't be effective if they have hundreds of students and they are not obligated to assist them.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted September 06, 2015
One of the Principals for High School, Santana is not a caring, empathetic person at all.

Florida Virtual School Full Time 1

Posted September 06, 2015
Teachers are always on conferences and have more than 300 students each. There is no real one-on-one instruction like they advertise. Principals and staff are always unavailable to help.

Posted March 27, 2015
I was shocked at how great this program is! I have gone to public school all my life and when I had to do FLVS this year I thought it would be very difficult. It is one on the best things that has happened in my academic career. The teachers are so amazing and completely dedicated to teaching us, all of my emails and questions are answered within 24 hours. There is an abundance of extra help whenever I am struggling and the teachers are always understanding. The program is extremely organized at all times and it allows everyone to work at their own pace. I honestly wish I didn't have to go back to my local high school next year. I think this program is especially good for high school students, it has given me so much more time to do my community service and focus on getting ready for college. Do not hesitate to enroll!!

Posted February 09, 2015
I have been an FLVS student for over 3 years now and I absolutely love it! I get to work at my own pace, have great help from teachers, and I still get to participate in many clubs for volunteer hours or just for fun! I love how I can make friends like at an actual public school and also get my highschool credits on time. :)

Posted October 18, 2014
I'm beyond satisfied with FLVS. My son is in high school, and the classes offered at his level seem to be more challenging than traditional classes, and I like this because I know he'll be better prepared for college. I think the school is much better for the students than it is for teachers...as they sometimes seem a bit overwhelmed. They work hard! My son's teachers have always been available via email, text, or phone whenever he needs assistance, and there is a helpline available for students as well. If my son is struggling with a particular topic, he can stay on the lesson as long as necessary until he has a firm grasp of the information, unlike traditional school where they move on even if students are still struggling. When the lessons come easy to him, he can zip through them quickly and move on. The teachers are more like my son's partners rather than strict authoritative figures...and they seem to want him to succeed. I've actually experienced situations with teachers who did not like my son or were trying to sabotage him...I don't have to worry about those types of situations with FLVS. The flexibility is great as well. My son takes Regular, Honors and AP classes.

Florida Virtual School Full Time 2

Posted October 03, 2014
Second experience with FLVS and neither one good. First child was trying to fit classes around chronic illness, FLVS unwilling to be flexible due to need. Second child now needed enrichment at level not offered by their school, finding course is designed with roadblocks preventing moving forward, unable to take module without collaboration partner which they do not assign, provide or assist, unable to take end of module test without conference with teacher, have to take pre-test to determine what to take in next module but all instructors unavailable due to conference, they provide no coverage or support. FLVS, do not pull out all teachers, leads and backups simultaneously for a full week, leaving students adrift! Teacher seems nice and sincere but the system is poorly designed. New student cannot catch up because obstacles placed in the way, disappointed.

Posted June 22, 2014
Florida Virtual School is free online public school serving students in the state of Florida. The full time program runs on an academic calendar but they also have a program where students can take courses to work toward early graduation or if their current traditions school does not offer the course they are seeking. Certified and caring staff that really do out the student at the center of all decisions.

5401 S. Kirkman Road, Orlando, FL  32835
Last modified Florida Virtual School Full Time is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Florida Virtual School Full Time Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top