Orlando, FL
Before care: Yes

Posted August 20, 2013
We are new to the school, but so far I've been impressed with the teachers, office staff, and classrooms. My daughter is happy and I am thrilled. Parent involvement seems higher than in other schools my kids have attended.

Posted August 05, 2013
Great school. Love the language classes. New uniforms coming - hurray! Cafeteria could improve. Web site could be more updated. More green space is needed for children to have recess or outdoor lunch with parents. But otherwise awesome school, great parent involvement, and excellent teachers and principal.

Posted July 21, 2013
There was a change in administration beginning the 2012-2013 school year and foreign language curriculum was adopted for the Spanish and French academies. The principal is professional, accessible and passionate about student success and parent input and involvement and has raised the standard for both faculty and staff and the foreign language magnet program. There is a high expectation for Common Core standards to be taught with rigor but a dire need for upgraded technology in the school to prepare for OCPS and state target of full digital curriculum by 2016. A proactive PTA and SAC works cooperatively with administration and the future is bright for Hillcrest.

Posted April 14, 2013
In my opinion, much inproved with the new principal. With multiple children, we've been here long enough to experience 3 principals and see a large difference. Regretably, many good teachers have left, but many good remain and have had a positive influence on our children. Hopefully, positive changes continue and the school can return to previous academic levels for our remaining years. New parents get involved to positively influence the academic experience for your childen.

Posted November 07, 2012
Hillcrest is a wonderful school. This year we have a new Principal who is amazing! She is doing an outstanding job. Her number one priority is the safety of our children and she has implemented some excellent changes. She has created a wonderful nurturing environment for our Teachers and children and we are extremely fortunate to have her here. She is indeed a breath of fresh air!

Posted October 30, 2012
We are just a few months into the year with the new Principal. The former principal was OUTSTANDING. This new one makes robo-calls to the parents every weekend. She instantly changed procedures that were working just fine. She cites "safety" for every change she makes - although safety is clearly not an issue. She comes from a school that was quite unlike Hillcrest, and she didn't take the time to learn about Hillcrest's atmosphere before implementing changes that are probably necessary at schools with little parental involvement and that have behavioral issues. Hillcrest is a small school with strong community and parental involvement. It is an exceptional place for a child to go to school with caring teachers. This new principal needs to realize that and stop running it like the institutions she's used to and return to the comfortable and fun learning environment that Hillcrest teachers, parents, students and the former principal worked so hard to achieve. I've heard many complaints about this new principal. She needs to wake up or move on.

Posted August 16, 2011
I think Hillcrest is a Wonderful school. I just graduated from 5th grade. I was in Ms. Brewer's class she is the best 5th grade teacher. I was a Saftey Patrol and I saw everyone in the morning. Every is well-behaved and all the teachers are great. You can ask any teacher for help. It is a wonderful school and i would recommend it to anyone i knew! A one word rating would be: Awesome!!!!!!!

Posted August 01, 2011
My son finished Kinder in Hillcrest. One word: WOW Ms Amy Istler his teacher and Ms Zandy his french teacher made my son's first experience in school an "amazing" one! They truly care. I went to private schools and THIS particular school is WAY better. The Frenh, spanish and Vietnamese programs are excellent. I wish we didnt have to move. I know it will be hard to find another Hillcrest. The staff is wonderful and very helpful. I was conerned about the comments I had read, so I was very happy to realize that they were wrong. They could have more green areas for kids to play and run,but overall is GREAT

Hillcrest Elementary School 1

Posted December 23, 2010
The school seems to accomadate the younger children such as preK thru 1 or 2 grade. The 3rd, 4th and 5th grade classes are not so good anymore. The fifth grade has only one class, meaning the 4th grade students in the neighborhood did not return because of ongoing administrative issues. Meaning the Principal is not doing her job, and she does not have a good reputation with the parents. She is known to be very rude and arrogant and does not seem to care about the kids at all. What a shame for such a fabulous school in the past, before current Principal. The school recently put in a portable building for the Vietnamese children, when the main building has empty upstairs classrooms. The school wastes money on crazy things like a unfinished garden, that has been underconstruction for about 3 years and the children have never gotten to use it. The area could have been used for PE or the money for a music program. But instead they have an unused garden area. And a past school PTA president raised money for a greenhouse and it was never built. (where did that $ go?).

Posted September 18, 2010
This school has a great foundation and the administration and teachers are expanding on its legacy. How sad that a gem such as this is not always fully appreciated.

Hillcrest Elementary School
1010 East Concord Street, Orlando, FL  32803
Last modified Hillcrest Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hillcrest Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top