1,078 students|Orange

Bad
Good

Great School so far! Mrs. Tanner is a very nice teacher and gives regular feedback on my son. All the staff are very engaged as well. My son will only be here this year and moves to the new K-8 in Wedgefield. Hopefully the experience will be the same!

This is a great community school. It is not as large as other over populated Orange County Schools near this school. My daughter has been there since the 1st grade and loves it. We have never had a problem. Teachers, Staff and Parents are very involved. The PTA is one of the harder working PTA's I have seen. The school is clean, nice, modern and safe. I love that my daughter can walk to school with tons of her friends and I don't have to worry.

My daughter is a Kindergartner in this school and so far I am extremely happy with our teacher and the rest of the Kindergarten teachers. I have been a parent volunteer for class parties where I've been to each of the teachers classrooms. These teachers really care for the kids. Also my daughter does have a harder time then my older daughter when it comes to learning, however Ms. Leskody has done wonders with her and she is at grade level and is reading books by herself. She's made great strides in only the 4 months she's been there. I have not had any contact with the principal so far, so I can't say Yeah or Nay on that one yet.

My daughter just entered kindergarten and within two month, she was infected with lice. She has attended a daycare and preschool pretty much all her life and NEVER had a problem elsewhere. What I hear from other parents, lice infestation is a pretty common problem here at Columbia. I am grossed out. Now she has her hair in a very tight ponytail everyday.

Principal is gone! This school now deserves a 5 star rating Elvis has left the building lets all celebrate!

My child has attended Columbia for 4years and has excelled at every turn. We have been blessed to have what we feel have been the best teachers in each grade so far but do not be fooled, the school has teachers that should not be in the classroom. The principal has been a total disappointment and has only cared about putting on a show for her guardian angels on the school board. Thank god she is retiring and we are getting a new principal. This school also has discipline and bullying issues. The PTA is a joke, run by a micromanager who's ego is only surpassed by that of the outgoing principal. All that said, the remaining majority of the staff truly care about the children. Look forward to the new principal and hopefully some significant changes this year.

My children transferred in from North Carolina and i really enjoy how they were accepted. Both my children tell me they like this school better then there last school. We look forward to the first grade next year!!!!!! Really like the summer reading and homework list from the school. My daughter has already read almost every book on the list and they have only been out of school one week.

As an educational consultant, I was thrilled to send my child to such a beautiful school. However, it didn't take long to recognize that the administration is more concerned with putting on a 'show' for the community, than doing the work it takes to individualize learning, support teachers, and utilize the parents. If your child falls into the 'norm' of a typical child who learns easily and behaves well then the school is adequate. If your child falls into a fringe category (either a higher level thinker/gifted learner or a slower learner with any specific needs) then this is NOT the school for you. Your child will get lost in the numbers that the school is unable to handle. From my experience working in schools, I believe the teachers' have their 'hands tied' by the administration. They do not seem able to teach freely. Additionally, decisions are made that are not in the best interests of the children. The school does have many parent volunteers that the Additions program utilizes. The PTA brags about its memberships, but less than ten people ever show up for the meetings, which to me reflects poorly on the PTA officers' ability to involve its members effectively.

I agree! My daugher goes there and the gifted teacher should have left teaching a long time ago. She has no business in the education industry. It's obvious she does not have a genuine interest in being there!

This school is the worst, if your child doesn't get it to bad, put you in back of class & move on! I moved just so my son wasn't in that district! If go there hope you like lice!

Last modified Columbia Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.