Orlando, FL
Students enrolled: 1,145
Before care: Yes

Columbia Elementary School 5

Posted December 17, 2013
My daughter is a Kindergartner in this school and so far I am extremely happy with our teacher and the rest of the Kindergarten teachers. I have been a parent volunteer for class parties where I've been to each of the teachers classrooms. These teachers really care for the kids. Also my daughter does have a harder time then my older daughter when it comes to learning, however Ms. Leskody has done wonders with her and she is at grade level and is reading books by herself. She's made great strides in only the 4 months she's been there. I have not had any contact with the principal so far, so I can't say Yeah or Nay on that one yet.

Columbia Elementary School 2

Posted November 07, 2013
My daughter just entered kindergarten and within two month, she was infected with lice. She has attended a daycare and preschool pretty much all her life and NEVER had a problem elsewhere. What I hear from other parents, lice infestation is a pretty common problem here at Columbia. I am grossed out. Now she has her hair in a very tight ponytail everyday.

Columbia Elementary School 5

Posted September 25, 2013
Principal is gone! This school now deserves a 5 star rating Elvis has left the building lets all celebrate!

Posted July 26, 2013
My child has attended Columbia for 4years and has excelled at every turn. We have been blessed to have what we feel have been the best teachers in each grade so far but do not be fooled, the school has teachers that should not be in the classroom. The principal has been a total disappointment and has only cared about putting on a show for her guardian angels on the school board. Thank god she is retiring and we are getting a new principal. This school also has discipline and bullying issues. The PTA is a joke, run by a micromanager who's ego is only surpassed by that of the outgoing principal. All that said, the remaining majority of the staff truly care about the children. Look forward to the new principal and hopefully some significant changes this year.

Columbia Elementary School 4

Posted June 09, 2013
My children transferred in from North Carolina and i really enjoy how they were accepted. Both my children tell me they like this school better then there last school. We look forward to the first grade next year!!!!!! Really like the summer reading and homework list from the school. My daughter has already read almost every book on the list and they have only been out of school one week.

Columbia Elementary School 2

Posted February 01, 2013
As an educational consultant, I was thrilled to send my child to such a beautiful school. However, it didn't take long to recognize that the administration is more concerned with putting on a 'show' for the community, than doing the work it takes to individualize learning, support teachers, and utilize the parents. If your child falls into the 'norm' of a typical child who learns easily and behaves well then the school is adequate. If your child falls into a fringe category (either a higher level thinker/gifted learner or a slower learner with any specific needs) then this is NOT the school for you. Your child will get lost in the numbers that the school is unable to handle. From my experience working in schools, I believe the teachers' have their 'hands tied' by the administration. They do not seem able to teach freely. Additionally, decisions are made that are not in the best interests of the children. The school does have many parent volunteers that the Additions program utilizes. The PTA brags about its memberships, but less than ten people ever show up for the meetings, which to me reflects poorly on the PTA officers' ability to involve its members effectively.

Posted August 26, 2012
I agree! My daugher goes there and the gifted teacher should have left teaching a long time ago. She has no business in the education industry. It's obvious she does not have a genuine interest in being there!

Columbia Elementary School 1

Posted August 01, 2012
This school is the worst, if your child doesn't get it to bad, put you in back of class & move on! I moved just so my son wasn't in that district! If go there hope you like lice!

Posted April 25, 2012
My son's gifted teacher at this school is HORRIBLE. Her philisophy is "if you don't get it, too bad, I'm moving on". She has no patience when students don't get it the first time and calls them out in front of the class. The only consolation is that there is an additional, new gifted teacher that actually makes the students feel like it is safe to ask questions....and actually fosters a positive learning environment.

Columbia Elementary School 4

Posted June 28, 2011
My child had a great teacher at Columbia this year in third grade. However the adminstration at the school I don't think is as great. Whenever I tried to talk to them to give a compliment about my child's teacher I had no luck. My child's teacher was in her first year at Columbia. My child and I loved her. She was a very great teacher. The teacher is moving, and I don't know if that was exactly her choice. I've noticed during my years at Columbia horrible teachers stay, and the great ones end up "moving". My child was very upset to see her teacher leave. I think the school needs needs a new principal to help get good teachers to stay and the horrible ones to leave.

Columbia Elementary School
18501 Cypress Lake Glen Boulevard, Orlando, FL  32820
Last modified Columbia Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Columbia Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top