Dr. Phillips Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 627 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 6, 2013

My daughter goes to Dr Phillips elementary school And I believe this is one of the best school in Orlando. I like Principle because he is 100% involved in each and every activity that takes place in school. He even direct traffic sometimes by the end of the School. Teachers always coordinate with parents. We have PTA for school and PTA organize AR store just to encourage kids to read. Teachers also have loot boxes in the class to motivate kids for studies. and they always contact parents if needed to let parents know how kids are doing in school. It's a very cool school and exceeded my expectations.

Posted August 22, 2013

I absolutely love Dr. Phillips Elementary School. I moved in the area just to go to this school. It has su ch a great small town close knit feel - something that I grew up with amd am happy that my children get experience as well. The teachers are amazing. We are the only school in Orange County that has its own in-house gifted teachers. I am extremely pleased with this school. The staff there are fantastic as well - so helpful and really get to know you. And the children get very excited when the principal is around. He's like a rockstar at the school. I wouldn't change a thing!

Posted February 8, 2012

We love this school! Our son is flourishing at DPES His teacher is wonderful and does a great job of keeping him stimulated and challenged. The principal is also very involved. My son had golf and it actually slipped my mind and I went to go pick him up after school. The principal saw me and reminded me that it was Friday and that my son had golf. That really made me happy that everyone was looking out for my child.

Posted January 25, 2012

We have had amazing teachers for our two children -- one in the VPk program and one in kindergarten this year. Both my husband and I are amazed at how much the VPk teacher taught our son so far this year and we are only half way through the year. He came into the program very delayed in his knowledge of numbers and letters and he now has a good grasp. Some of the children are already starting to read. My daughter also was behind in her knowledge of letters and is reading now. The teachers we got had a vested interest in all of the students in their classes. The kindergarten teacher visited the home of every student before the beginning of the school year to read them a story with a puppet to help diminish first day fears. The school does not pay for this but this shows you the dedication and great character of this teacher. With regard to the administration, principal and PTA I have not been so impressed. They are rather cold, occasionally confrontational for no real reason and seem rather useless. This really matters little to me how ever because my children's teachers are their ambassadors at the school and I have 100% trust in them.

Posted November 20, 2011

As a former student, now an IT major at Florida State University, I can accredit this school with giving me a wonderful foundation on which I was able to build my intellectual and social skills as well as providing me with some of the most potent memories I will ever have. Once a Flying Eagle, always a Flying Eagle!

Posted October 17, 2011

This school is a terrible school. The teachers favor parents who are there 24/7 helping out. For those parents who can't help out as often, their children are second and not even noticed. If you want your child to be in the gifted program, spend 24/7 helping out in the school and you will get it. If your child has a medical condition, the teachers don't care. I could probably name only 3 excellent teachers out of the entire school. Children that need the extra help and have IEPs are treating badly and don't give them any encouragment. Horrible school!

Posted October 15, 2011

This is the worst school I've ever seen. My poor kids losing their times in there, the teachers don't like to teach, they rather to sit outside and yell them while they're at recess, instead of enjoying being with them, they make the kids feel that they're prisoners. Also there is no principal. He is showing up when there is parents or PTA's meeting, but if you need him or if you need to contact him he disappears right away. You can't even take 15 minutes long appointment from him.

Posted April 27, 2011

Dr. Phillips Elementrary is a great school but there is many key issues that haven't been addressed. The school is over crowded and parking/pickup for the children is ridiculous. Most the time you have to park on the street and risk getting a ticket to pick up your child. The principal doesn't respond to calls or emails I attempted to speak with him for two months about issues. There are teachers there that shouldn't be teaching at elementrary level, often quite militant and don't smile or interact with the children. Office staff is wonderful and Nancy is amazing.

Posted August 3, 2010

well i am suppost to go to this school but i dont know if it will be good

Posted April 8, 2010

Excellent! We came to Fl. from Co. We were treated wonderfully from the first day! We felt like we were home, our home. The entire staff has been wonderful. Thanks, Ron Emens

Posted September 17, 2009

It has one of the best teachers in Orlando. The team work is very close together.

Posted May 16, 2009

My son has been attending DPES K through 2nd grade. It is an outstanding school. The teachers ae excellent and communicate well. The parental involvement is fantastic. I am thrilled when I hear the office staff calling each parent by their name. They know every parent. The only concern I've had through the years has been the nurse fundraising. My son is diabetic and every year somehow we don't seem to collenct enough funds for our nurse. Although this is an excellent school, challenging for students and staff and administration are awesome, if your child has a specific need for a nurse on an everyday basis, I would strongly recommend looking at another school. Otherwise, if you have a healthy child, then this is definitely the school!

Posted April 29, 2009

My son has attended DPES K through 5th and we have had nothing but wonderful experiences and terrific teachers. The staff at DPES are a terrific group of people...you'd almost think they were a family..they care about each other and every student so much. We loved the former Principal and were sad when she retired but we like the new Principal very much. He is doing a terrific job. The School Advisory Council at DPES is strong and the PTA active. There is a lot of parent participation and support at DPES. We will miss it when we move on to middle school.

Posted November 29, 2007

The students come first at Dr. Phillips Elementary school. I like that the office staff knows my name and is always available to help. The best thing about Dr. Phillips is the care and expertise of its nurse. She is ever vigilant and educates the parents, children and staff regarding illnesses and precautions. I feel that my child is in a safe, motivating and challenging environment.

Posted April 25, 2006

Three out of four of my children have attended dpes. We loved it. The parental involvment is fantastic. I am thrilled with the gifted program. The teachers are seasoned teachers & I am thrilled with most of them.

Posted February 14, 2006

Wonderful school, good programs like magnet

Posted February 7, 2006

My child has attended this school Kg through currently 4th grade. The focus of the school is on each individual classroom. There is very little administrative or other support services offered. The teachers have a great deal of autonomy and the overriding policy of the administration is to support the teachers. This is good if you have a good teacher, bad if you don't. They have a full time gifted curriculum, which is excellent. The guidance and placement services are poor. There are no extracurricular activities to speak of. The PTA is very weak, which really hurts the school in moving beyond the basics of FCAT education. Fortunately, this is a school that serves a fairly wealthy district, so it avoids many of the problems that are encountered in less affluent areas.

Posted January 3, 2006

Program for gifted children is very good. Chorus and Strings programs available to 4th and 5th Graders.

Posted December 27, 2005

This is a great school that really works with the student one on one and with the parents one on one.

Posted October 12, 2005

Awesome School. My doughter is in K-6 and her teacher Mrs. Davis is very professional and kind person. I love this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

111 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 14% 3%

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6909 Dr Phillips Blvd