PK, 9-12
Orlando, FL
Students enrolled: 3,490

Dr. Phillips High School 4

Posted December 05, 2014
This is a great school if you have higher order classes, Regulars classes may have some students that don't take work seriously enough so that may not be an environment you like. But like I said, Honors and AP classes have enthusiastic teachers and students. They have many wonderful programs (athletic/performing arts/dual enrollment, etc)They have an outstanding football team, theatre program, and a student-driven publications staff.There are a lot of students in this school, so of course they wouldn't always get along. (fights occur on campus) but that happens in every school. Otherwise, from an academic POV this school offers many opportunities. Frankly, I didn't really enjoy my freshman year, but as I chose better classes later on, I started to see the true potential and value of this school. DPHS is extremely diverse, so be open to all cultures and people, once you do, you'll have a great time. Also, they have a really caring administration and hands-on counselors. (classes usually range from 20-35 students) As a former student, I had a lot of complaints about DP, but then I realized it offered many things a lot of other schools nationwide didn't. I'm sad to leave it now.

Posted April 16, 2014
This school really is my second home. As a freshman I've gone through some life-changing things and with fantastic peers, well mannered to help me get along. I love my Art magnet and all that it is teaching me in Drawing one and Ceramics one, I am learning French my friend is learning Japanese and my other friends are learning German and Spanish, Not to mention the amazing array different ethenicities you see throughout the the school and almost every student has a little something in their backround. The school is 80 acres and a maze of classrooms, currently under construction, and I havent even been to half of the school. The thing I love most about the school is the magnet programs and the kids amazing talent and how I can live on the other side of the city and get to go to the school. This school offers many AP classes and as a 9th grader I am in AP Human Geography. What I dont like about the school is the birds living in the skywalk but thats the kids fault for being dirty during lunch but love the wild cats that live in the school that some kids call "Panthers" after our mascot and The Athletics is the best in Orlando leading with our football team.

Dr. Phillips High School 2

Posted November 03, 2013
Ok the student to teacher ratio on zillow says its 19-1 but thats a LIE because i am currently going there as a sophomore and majority of classes have at least 20 students in each of them!!! its a good school with plenty of diversity. The CIS magnet program isn't very good. The Visual and Performing Arts magnet program is good but if you choose the theatre part of the magnet then you have to do ALOT of work and parents have to pay for ALOT of fundraisers and parents probably won't pick up their kid until like 10pm or some where around that time daily. Academics are good if you get the good teachers. Has a GREAT football team!!!

Posted September 09, 2013
DPHS has an award-winning Drama Magnet Program that does an amazing job of preparing students for their future careers - whether within the field of entertainment or otherwise. Students are given high expectations that help them to become their best.

Posted September 09, 2013
A year ago, My daugther decided to go to "Performing arts at DPHS". This was the most extraordinary cross that she could take in her life. Studying at a Magnet program, at a high School with a prestigious "A" average highlighted for years at DPHS, is the perfect combination for a high academic level. I am extremely happy for her results. Thank you DPHS

Posted September 09, 2013
My daughter is a senior in the Dr. Phillips Theater Magnet. Her education has exceeded every one of our expectations! She is well trained and prepared for the world of theater and beyond. Not only have her academics been comprehensive and excellent, but also the life lessons she has been taught will be something she will use for the rest of her life. Integrity, discipline and fortitude is what it takes to be successful in life and she has been given the opportunity through this program to develop all 3 of these character traits. This is the reason that this program is a nationally recognized program. The Theater Magnet doesn't just do drama, they develop the mind, spirit and character of it's students!!

Posted September 09, 2013
My daughter has just begun the theater magnet program at Dr. Phillips and loves it. I drive from the east side of Orlando to take her every morning, and I am happy about it, because she is happy. The program that Ms. Rugario has poured herself into is one of excellence. This, combined with the great education she is getting with caring teachers shows up that Dr. Phillips is the right high school for her. In 2 years, her brother wants for follow his sister to the magnet program because, he too, loves theater.

Posted September 08, 2013
My daughter just graduated from the Dr. Phillips Theatre Magnet program-she is away at college as a freshman. She attended all 4 years in the magnet-and like any progrm -it is not perfect--but it is the best opportunity for a student who loves theater-- to learn, grow and develope as a young adult--in central Florida and possibly the best in the state!-Yes, you do have to do a some fund raising-and volunteer work-however if you want your children to have the best productions then you must realize that it costs money--these productions are not your typical "high school" plays--they are high tech,the stages are beautiful, and the costume, sound and lighting will leave you thouroughly entertained!! At the end of the day--you will have a student that has absorbed the entire theater experience--and they can take that with them into the next phase of college and they will outshine all the others because of their time at the Dr. Phillips Theater Magnet!!

Posted September 08, 2013
The theater magnet program at Dr. Phillips High School is excellent for those students interested in the Performing Arts. Students of this program gain experience in all aspects of theater, from the technical side to performing under the leadership of Ms. Karen Rugerio and Ms. Susan Porro. Furthermore, in the magnet program, the student's English class is devoted to the study of plays and playwrights. Each student is assigned a playwright and has to do an intensive analysis of the plays written by the playwright in several different written papers. Students even direct a scene from one from one of the plays. After this experience, students are more than ready for any project given to them in college. Students compete in theater competitions at the District and State Level each year. Last year, after winning the FL Theatre Conference with their one act play, "Dancing at Lughnasa," DP was invited to the SE Theatre Conference in Kentucky. Students from this program have also traveled to Scotland to perform in the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. College trips to performing arts colleges in the NE are also offered to juniors and seniors. This is definitely a first rate program!

Posted September 08, 2013
My daughter is a 2010 graduate of Dr. Philips Theater Magnet Program. She has always been interested in theater and performance, so it was a God-send that we moved to Orlando for her to audition for the program. In her four years there she continued to learn responsibility , dedication ,team work , working long hours towards a goal, auditioning techniques, developing relationships with students from diverse backgrounds and never giving up in what you believe. Ms Rugerio always leads her students to be the best they can be; and Ms Porro, according to my daughter, is one of the best teachers she has ever had. District and State competitions, many community programs, fall trips to visit colleges and so much more were experiences which help these students learn and grow. My daughter is now in her senior year at The Boston Conservatory where she has excelled. As a parent, I too worked long hours as a volunteer and developed life-long friendships with other dedicated parents at Dr. Phillips .Hard work has many benefits. No program is perfect, but this one was perfect for our daughter.

Dr. Phillips High School
6500 Turkey Lake Road, Orlando, FL  32819
Last modified Dr. Phillips High School is a Public school that serves grades PK, 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dr. Phillips High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 85 reviews. Top