860 students|Orange

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Hunters Creek Elementary school use to be a well known highly rated school known for always staying at the top score of 10. We moved to this area specifically because of the highly rated school and our son attended the school for 3 years prior to moving. During the 3 years, the principle turned over 3 times. Each time with a new direction. During kindergarten, the teacher left 6 weeks into the school year. These poor little kids were left with substitutes - who were only doing the best they could with the little direction they had. The kindergarten teacher was replaced with a teacher who was inexperienced and this was her first teaching job after achieving her certification. Having a brand new teacher as a kindergarten teacher with no experience was a disaster for our child! The principle at that time, dismissed my highly engaged 5 year old from school in kindergarten for one day because "he was being disruptive". So, they sent my 5 year old home from school and I had to leave work as a result. The message they were sending to my child is indescribable. When my son got to 1st grade, we were told he was behind in reading by 4 levels! We were shocked! The kinder teacher never communicated this to us in the prior year! The 2nd year was actually pretty good although there was a lot of homework for a 6 year old! The 3rd year, the teacher left at 10 weeks into the school year and was replaced by a teacher who moved from out of state. This teacher lasted only 3 weeks and she left as well. My son was moved to another class room due to all the instability and received a wonderful caring teacher that really allowed him to learn and grow - finally! My son was in the language/speech therapy program - the last therapist could barely speak English so my son didn't get much out of it. We left the school as we moved out of state however had we stayed in the area, I may have looked for an alternative school location for him. Communication at this school is very poor with the parents. There are some really good teachers there but the whole system is broken and those teachers will mostly likely leave if it doesn't get fixed. And our son is still behind in reading after all the extra effort and tutors over the years....I tribute that to a poor start with the school and their inability to keep teachers employed and replace them with solid experienced teachers.

Totally overrated. Unfortunately our experience was terrible. I believe orange county hire any person and give them the teacher title. But they believe that they are doing so well!! I think, starting with the principal, and some teachers are better actresses than teacher.Even a lot of kids in this school are rude,badly brought up and spoiled. My suggest to you is don't choose this school for your son.

Amount of homework: Agree

the kids have daily reading.. this is homework as well. Review of the days work is just as good as homework.. Parents should avoid leaving everything to the school.. it is a shared responsibility

Good communication, good standards, excellent teachers. Interaction with admin staff has been limited but helpful and polite. My daughters teacher has changed her life ! High standards.

Develops character: Disagree

No this school is deteriorating, they are rude with parents in from of students, incompetent and teachers feel over powered because they have been teaching there for a long time. They also have preferences with some students who's parents are well known in the community.

Sadly this school has change a lot from last year, I'm not sure if it has to do with the fact that this year they have a new principal. Overall the whole school has lowered their standards , staff are very rude to parents, some teachers are mean and sarcastic, and to add to all this turmoil..... The lunch experience is horrible. Lunch ladies scream at kids during lunch , my daughter in first grade feels intimidated by a "lunch lady that has a wistle " it is sad to see how this school is changing and it's becoming a not such desirable place to send our children. If you have a choice please don't send your precious children to this school.

This school is Overrated, I didn't mention in the earlier review. This school is 8 out of 10 only because there are smart Students here. Because Hunter's Creek residents are mostly Professional and Business Owners hence most of the children are smart, there is nothing special that the school staff does that puts them up there. Matter of fact they are very bad at their Job. I am dumbfounded by the ratings and reviews of this school. But than again the 4 and 5 star ratings are from past, the most reviews are the once that really reflect the true school. HORRIBLE SCHOOL AND HORRIBLE PRINCIPLE THATS WHAT THE TRUE HUNTERS CREEK ELEMENTRY IS NOW!!

The EXTENDED DAY PROGRAM IS THE WORST I have ever heard or experienced. It is run by a group of women that have no clue about children or their needs/development (English is also all of their second language, making it difficult for those children that do have English as their first language to understand them). The children are forced to sit at the round tables of the cafeteria and remain quite and seated before school from 7:00-8:15am and after school is not much better...The children are not only not allowed to go outside and play or run off energy, but they are told to keep quite, this after being in school all day. My children also said they were "not allowed" to do homework in aftercare (this being confirmed from multiple other children in the program). To top it off, the children in this program are made to again "sit" in the hallway with their backpacks from 5:00-6:00pm and wait for their parents to pick them up. Meaning...if your not able to get to them by 5:00pm, your child will sit for another hour in silence waiting for you... I was appalled at this! It is not a true after school program and it is definitely NOT run by qualified professionals. I am writing this because I wish someone had told me before I took my children out of their "real" afterschool program and put them thru this. I feel very fortunate to have the option to pull them out and place them back where they belong, in a qualified, nurturing, child-appropriate program. HCES as a whole is a good school but it seems to be declining rapidly. The school grade and rating have dropped in this past year and I have seen a negative difference already this year (this may have something to do with our experience in the Extended day Program). The communication to parents about events and progress is not their strength and could definitely be improved upon. I have a Kindergartener this year and was not excited about all of the Kindergarten classes being housed in the portables. Just an FYI for those of you that have preschoolers zoned for HCES next year. I truly hope that the new principle this year will make the necessary changes and improvements to take HCES back to an A school.

My second grader has been neglected and put in danger! His teacher allowed my child to remain in class with a profusely bleeding nose! He bleed all over himself and floor; this happened early in the morning. She never allowed him to go to nurse and he walked around full of blood all day! Than he had a sports accident and needed immediate use of the rests room ( he had a doctors note) she refused him and he had an accident. I picked up my son full of blood and drenched in urine and the teacher blames him a second grader! I never saw such an iceberg of a person in all my life! The principal choked it up to personality clash????? What does that have to do with anything. Now, as rumors do it spread like wild fires now all the other teachers, harass me or give my husband and I over everything! All I can say I'm lucky I didn't take my son home in a worst state. School has made us miserable, disheartened, and frankly appalled by Hunters creek, I'm scared every time I drop my kids off ; will I get them back happy healthy and in one piece! Horrible feeling for a parent to have toward any school responsible for their child's well being from 8:45 to 3:00. Those of you happy with the school I'm happy for you I hope it continues for you. But this mom is done!

This is a faaaantastic school, very organized, healthy food, friendly teachers and you can see the principal doing things always so everything can run smoothly for parents and kids. I definitely love this school and so my child!!!

Last modified Hunters Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.