No rating

Downey Christian School

Private | PK-12

Living in Orlando

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $111,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $980.

Posted Thursday, September 25, 2014

What a delightful school. Growing and exciting, Downey is offering our children a wonderful education. My student was depressed, failing and hated school. On the Progress Report he got his first "B" in years. That smile is priceless.

Posted August 17, 2014

Wonderful school that not only accommodates children's IEP in assisting them and does all they can to ensure that they've taught the students what they need to learn. My children score between 2 to 5 years over their grade nationwide in the standardized testing. I think that speaks volume about the quality of education they offer. Also, I love that they have two different settings with two different curriculum, it's like having two schools in one. Thank you Pastor Dees, Mr. Tim Dees, Tara, teachers and office personnel for all you have done in assisting my family and your continued dedication on bettering Downey Christian School every year.

Posted May 5, 2014

DCS is not a good school at all. No organization,no structure, no equipment, kids are not learning anything at all they just want money they can care less about anything else at all. Before we register the kids in that school, we especifically told the administration that we didn't have the money to be able to pay the monthly payment. At that time they asked me how much I can pay and told the $400/month and they state that it was fine, no for me to worry about it. Now they want their entire monthly payment and at this point they are refusing to release the kids report cards. Even they change my son's elective and his elective is cleaning the dining room and take out the trash everyday. Please don't put your kids in this school.!!

Posted January 30, 2013

horrible this school should be shut down completely. no organization none no teaching skills at all, kids are not learning anything at all they just want money they can care less about anything else at all. my 7th grader hasn't learned a thing my 9th grader either and they never requested their records from their previous school. and it's been over 5 months this is ridiculous. run for the hills do not I repeat do not come here going to check with the public schools today to see if they can get in there now and be okay. there is no Dean,principle, and some of the so called teachers are not certified how the world. they change admadministrators like nothing and guess what they are not certified.

Posted August 30, 2012

Not a good school. If there is an academic issue with your child. The school is not prepared to teach your child. Public school is a better option than DCS.

Posted August 25, 2011

I am greatful for all of the thoughts about DCS. You see not everyone can be happy. If you have atteneded DCS and did not like it I am very sorry. But DCS has had a great record for 35 years, and we will continue with the Lord's help. We have a great staff of teachers this year who care and are considerate of the students well being! We have tradtional as well as learning centers for parents and students to pick from for students to learn. I agree that the facilities need some work and we are as I write this making great strides for our campus. Our goal at DCS is to make sure our students have a sense of being taught the Word of GOD and have a great Education as well. We also have Dual Enrollment with Valencia College as well. God Bless and have a great day!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 27, 2011

Do not send your children here. Please read all reviews. Not a positive environment. Discipline is inconsistent. School seems money motivated. Multiple family members employed , attend, and administrate school. Favoritism is prevalent among staff, students, and parents. Education is sub standard and will not prepare your child. Check the rating for nearby public schools. Facilities are outdated and dilapidated. Technology is outdated.. Very few elective courses and poor sports program. Some teachers seem to care and do make a difference but administration seems to work against its teachers. Staff seems un coordinated and abusive toward children, staff and parents at times. Not a christian atmosphere. Office staff seems rude at times and rarely return calls in a timely manner if at all. BEWARE: absent teachers have at times been temporarily replaced by older strudent. In summary i think you will find this is one of the poorest private schools in all the county. Even surrounding public schools surpass this one in quality at all levels.

Posted May 18, 2011

DCS is one of the best private schools in Orange County. This is my childs 1st year at DCS. I love the school. My childs teacher is great, the staff is excellent, and the overall process is a breeze. My child has learned so much at DCS. I never would have thought that a second grader would learn the 50 states in less than 20 seconds or the 44 presidents. I'm extremely happy with this school and can't wait to see what God has planned for the remainder of the time for my child at DCS! Thank you Miss T, Jennie, Andrew, Tara, and Pastor!

Posted October 17, 2010

Downey Christian School is well intentioned, but has several shortcomings. Discipline is inconsistent as teachers try to maintain a standard and I have personally seen OFFICE STAFF rip up correction notices, and its leading to parents who seem to think they can get their child out of punishment as long as they complain loud enough. NEWS FLASH: your kid may be an angel at home, but I guarantee you thats not the case in school. This is a SELF Paced curriculum. If your child comes in with the preconceived notion that they can get away with every little thing and not do their work, their work IS NOT GOING TO GET DONE. With no respect from the office staff, or the parents, teachers are constantly fighting a battle when they could be assisting your children. This quickly wears them down and its YOUR CHILD that suffers.

Posted September 21, 2010

my child has add and was given a mckay scholarship. we enrolled her in downey christian and their tuition is listed on there info sheets in the office. mckay pays over 1000.00 more than the price listed, i also have to pay 200.00 for admin fees at the begining of the school year and was told that once the check came in i would be reimbursed that did not happen. i questioned the extra money paid by mckay and they said it's for tutoring and my child does not get tutored and she hardly gets help from the lazy teachers. the kids score their own work , check-ups , tests ect.. at that time if they fail the test the teacher will check the whole pace.if a child has a scholarship because of a disability why do they do all the work and the teachers sit and do nothing.

Posted July 16, 2010

DCS is a great private christian school. My daughter started in Kindergarten last year and I was surprised to see how much she learned, the discipline and christian education are execelent . Teachers and staff make you feel like part of a big family. Extended care is very organized and they take very good care of the children until parents pick up.

Posted July 6, 2010

Downey is an excellent school, with teachers and staff who care. My kids have been here for 11 years. Like any school, there are ups and downs, but overall, they work with you to resolve any issues. My daughter is currently dual enrolled at Valencia with 26 college credits upon completing 11th grade. The school has lots of flexibility and opportunities for chilren to serve, help other children, coach and tutor others, as well as a great learning envirnonment. The elementary is Abeka, and middle/high is self paced, but both programs incorporate God in all subjects. Wish their athletics department was more, but they are improving on that greatly as well.

Posted June 26, 2010

DCS is not a positive school! The teachers are okay, but the administration and sercretary do not answer calls. We are waiting since 3-4 months for the transcript!

Posted March 28, 2010

This school is only about money. The teachers are alright, but the administration is not good at all.

Posted October 28, 2009

Hey it's me LZ just here to give you the 411 on my school DCS. What's new?? This year has been going very good so far we are now in the Sunshine Christian Sports League it is the first league our school has been in over 3 years we just finished all of our flag football games and we are almost done with girls volleyball. The cheerleaders got new uniforms. We now have a lunchroom, a new library and a bible classroom. Many rules have gotten stricter but i guess thats what parents like to hear. We don't have a drama program but elementary and middle school have art class. Also we have two spirit weeks this year one just passed another in march. Although there is always something new I'll tell you later......
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 4, 2008

DCS Is very inconsistant school. The pastor of the school dosenot return calls. As a parent I like to be informe about any changes that are going to be made concerning my child's education. I'm very disappointed of the school . my son been going to this for three year's I'm thinking in what to do in letting him finish this year or change school.

Posted December 4, 2008

Downey Christian school is not a positive Christian school to send your child to. Their aftercare has little to no supervision. There is no homework help. The teachers work out of workbook sheets only and don't use other learning style to help or stimulate children. The administration only care about the money first and then the education. Please research this school throughougly before deciding to enroll your child.

Posted February 29, 2008

I am very disappointed & concerned about the education being given @ this socalled 'School.' There is no teaching.It is self directed by the students own motivation and working their own paces. The schools lacks preparation for the children to go to college is unexcusable in comparison to the children at the public schools and their FCAT prep. For being a Christian School I am disappointed in the once a week Chapel & no actual Bible classes.There needs to be more emphasis on this if it is truly a Christian School. The Teaching Staff are inconsistant in their discipline strategies. I pray for a Healing at this school, as it could have potential with the right teachers and administration. There is one teacher in particular he is condescending to parents and students, making students cry and affecting their self esteem, this is NOT productive and not very Christian.

Posted September 27, 2007

Background: I had 2 children in DCS for 1 year. We enrolled them after 1 year in FL public schools (grade 6 and 4) to focus on learning gaps in their core subjects. A) Administration - Understaffed, well-intentioned personnel. Often uncoordinated initiatives were poorly executed - after school activities, tutoring, administration/accounting, etc.. B) Teachers: Some professional, some not. Same as with public school. After school tutors - no real desire to tutor. They will, though, reluctantly, if forced. C. Discipline: Inconsistent (depending on the teacher). An incestuous situation with many of the students having parents in the staff. Summary: Small, money-driven school in need of strong organizational/administrative leader. Better in some areas, worse in others when compared to typical public school. Parents might be, but the students are no more 'moral' than public school population. Many good intentions by good people with sporadically successful execution. My kids are back in public school.

Posted September 9, 2006

This school is awesome! I wish they had more discipline and consequences. I also wish they had worship in chapel and daily prayer.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACE
Fax number
  • (407) 275-1481

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

10201 East Colonial Drive