No rating

Lake Highland Preparatory School

Private | PK-12 | 1950 students

College-prep

Living in Orlando

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $125,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,030.

Posted June 23, 2014

I have two sons who graduated from Lake Highland, and both got fantastic educations and had fabulous overall experiences. They went to very prominent, highly selective colleges, and they felt as well prepared for the academic rigor of college as anyone they met. The athletic opportunities at Lake Highland were exceptional, and each son was able to play Division I sports, although neither was recruited as an athlete. Their participation in extracurricular activities at Lake Highland both helped them develop leadership abilities and exposed them to important and beneficial social and intellectual opportunities. The teachers were uniformly excited about and dedicated to teaching, experts in their fields, and focused on the success of their students. Every aspect of Lake Highland was superb, and my wife and I cannot imagine a better college preparatory school. We recommend Lake Highland very enthusiastically.

Posted May 31, 2014

My three kids graduated from LHPS; all three attended in the upper school and had a great experience, with teachers who challenged and encouraged them. My kids are completely different from one another with a pure scholar, an athlete, and a mort artsy student. All three got accepted into competitive colleges and received substantial offers of financial aid. The epitome of their experience for me was one Friday night when my (then) freshman daughter told me she couldn't wait for Monday. When I asked her why, she replied "School, Dad, I love school!" And this was my more athletic child. Read the mission statement - it really sums up what the school is working to be.

Posted May 29, 2014

As an alum of Lake Highland, I have the highest regard and respect for the academic program and character of the students, faculty and staff at LHP. LHP set me up for success academically and socially, both as an undergrad at Notre Dame, and as a graduate student, and for that I am grateful. I truly cherish my four years spent as a student-athlete at LHP! For anyone thinking of sending your child to school at LHP, it is an investment in your child's future, and a positive one at that. For anyone that is perhaps unhappy with their experience, I encourage you to reach out to a school administrator for help navigating your issues. LHP is an amazing school, and the LHP family is unmatched. Go Highlanders!

Posted May 13, 2014

Looks are deceiving, on the outside LHPS has a beautiful campus and appears to have a lovely atmosphere. On the inside expect your child(ren) to be associated with many kids of poor character masked with money. Over the past year, we have heard my daughters say fitting in is difficult for many MS and HS kids. Over the years, my oldest daughters have personally watched several girls get bullied and not one person took action. I have to say as a mom, I hear more negatives than positives from other parents about the school. We know over 10 families pulling their kids out, for other Orlando schools, this speaks volumes. The LD program is a costly joke, you pay for one-on-one but your child will only get this if favorited. I can't stress enough how disappointed we are with LHPS.

Posted March 15, 2014

LHP has been an outstanding investment since my son came to the school in 6th grade. He now has academic scholarship offers from highly respected colleges and universities. In fact, his merit scholarship offers surpass the amount of tuition our family has paid since 6th grade. Add to that a school built on developing character, providing exceptional opportunities for our children and you have a great choice for parents. As my senior gets ready to graduate, knowing what I know now, I would choose LHP all over again. It was worth every penny even when my spouse lost their job in this recession. An outstanding choice for parents who want to give their children a great start in life.

Posted February 5, 2014

Lake Highlands is a rock star k-12 school that has excellent support for children with learning challenges of all kinds. They support the child, the parents, and the teachers. 1. Each age bracket has a designated support team that works with each child. 2. They have a quarterly meetings with the parents providing education and speakers on the various learning challenges. 3. They give their teachers opportunities for learning how to best work with LD kids. I can't recommend this school more enthusiastically. I have worked with many schools with children. This school would be a good model for others schools to follow.

Posted February 5, 2014

This is the WORST school I have ever had my children in. My children beg me everyday not to go to school because the kids in there classes are so mean. The school has a huge bully problem I'm hearing and they do nothing to fix this. The bully problem is mostly with girls and awkward non athletic boys tend to fall into getting bullied as well. The school masks everything with typical politics. Teachers choose their favorites. The school does not have many athletes getting signed now and the few athletes they do have are starting to leave for better schools in Orlando. Getting letters of recommendation are difficult. Beautiful campus, ahead in technology everything else was extremely negative for my children.

Posted December 6, 2013

My girl attended Pre-K at Lake Highland. Her first day of school was a happy day, I dropped my lively and cheerful little girl off in the morning, and from that day forward she slowly but surely turned into a introverted, quiet and sad little girl. This is a very dysfunctional school, but it has enough cheerleaders who are committed to the idea that they are sending their kids to the "best" that people are fooled. I'm not saying it is worse than most of the public schools. But don't be fooled by Lake Highland, students are not getting a good education here, most of the high achievers are attending after-school tutoring. Our teacher did nothing all year (peeked through the classroom door unannounced many times to always see her on the computer while the kids were watching TV). The school is simply a carefully managed status symbol, nothing more. All the comments about racism are true - in our case, we were never told about a specific bullying problem. A general letter was sent to the Pre-K parents, however they never communicated to us that our daughter was one of the children getting bullied. We had to find out later, too late. By then, the damage was done.

Posted August 18, 2013

I am a parent of 2 very different Highlanders. My first has attended LHP since sixth grade and had an amazing experience during her time there. He was welcomed immediately by students and faculty, excelled at sports, was popular, and graduated as a valedictorian to top it off. The teachers are exceedingly educated with advanced degrees, and well-screened before they are hired. We have personally experienced only 2 incidents involving "bad teachers" since enrolling and both were educators were dismissed. Try that in a public school! My second honors child has attended no less than 2 public and 2 private school in this city before transferring to LHP. All provided inadequate academic or social atmospheres for our needs. LHP has exceeded them. Excusing the occasional hiccup, it is a well-oiled machine. It is our personal experience that when it comes to picking a school there is no Utopia...so many variables come in to play. Some years of kids are just easier than others and some amass poorly. That's the breaks. No school can be accountable for what kids bring to the table, only how they handle the problems. Parents must shoulder the emotional needs. As in life, you don't always fit.

Posted May 20, 2013

To the 5/15/13 poster. I could flag the 3/22/13 but I would only become part of the problem. I was pleased to see that you saw through the 3/22/13 post. It was difficult to find the best fit for both my children but attending both public and private schools from preK - 12 gave me a chance to see what was out there. Lake Highland is for those who put Sports first. This is not to say that all the teachers think that this way. Checking on the number of teachers that coach is a start. No parent wants coaching to be the reason for hire but sadly it almost always is. Just check the local paper (sports section) and you will see that tuition free athletes are the focus. Another place to look is the CV of the teachers, because your child should believe that they can reach the moon and just the hoop. Best of luck.

Posted May 15, 2013

To the 4/26/13 poster...I can tell you that anyone can flag a review by clicking on the "report it" button and providing a rationale for the site administrator to remove the post. That may be what happened to the response you noted that is now missing. My child does not currently attend this school, but I am checking into it for the future and saw your question. (I am giving the school one star because the website is forcing me to assign stars.) You could just as easily flag the comments for 3/22/13 and have them considered for removal. I appreciate all opinions while researching schools, but 3/22/13 person criticizes another parent by implying they know what the "true problem may be." This sounds very defensive and is certainly not constructive who anyone who just wants to learn more about LHPS. Good luck!

Posted March 22, 2013

I came to this site because I was curious to see what was written about my child's school. I usually do not take the time to write comments on sites like this either however with some of the absurd claims that are being made by some parents I have to speak up. To the parent claiming this school is only focused on recruiting athletes and not academic growth, you are completely false. LHP continues to maintain a very rigorous academic focus while expanding into the arts, sports and other leadership activities. Thus, creating a more "well rounded" individual who will be able to compete in the 21st century. My kids have not been to any other schools but I see your children have already attended three... which spreads a little light on what the true problem may be.

Posted February 19, 2013

I have completed over half a year at LHPS. I am VERY pleased with everything. The kids are very mature and took me right in when i was new. With these kids I feel like I've been going to school here since Pre-k. I am overwhelmed with the support of the teachers. They will ALWAYS help with anything that you need. I have never had such a good experience with any other school! GO HIGHLANDERS!!!!!!

Posted January 26, 2013

Horrible. Looks great on the outside but don't be fooled. These kids for the most part are snobby, unfriendly and out of touch with reality. I have 2 very friendly, outgoing, sweet kids that have been unable to make friends. The homework requires my child to stay up until about 1 am and not because it is difficult. Teachers communicate poorly, give ambiguous assignments, or forget/neglect to post the required materials on the internet. I have found the teachers to generally be poor in engaging and making learning fun in the MS and HS. There are parents who think it is appropriate to host keg parties and coed sleep overs involving 14 year olds. Photos of these and many other parties are posted online for all of those not included to see. My kids now hate going to school everyday. We will not be returning and we were one of those generous Annual Fund givers. Counting down the days til we get to leave...........

Posted January 8, 2013

We have now completed half a year at LHP: great school, very committed to building character, honesty, respect and passion in students. Passion for learning, for sports or arts, people or languages. This school truly offers SO MUCH for every kind of student. And the quality of it is all GREAT. NO budget cuts! NO overflowing classrooms!NO poor quality teachers or teacher cuts. I can see why people complain: The school is tough on students AND parents. No "yeah, but" and going around in circles. Either you do it or you don't. This is great because it fosters the development of good young adults. Either you commit as a parent or you don't.Yes, this school has plenty of rich families and this is a blessing. It's exactly those who gratefully donate each year to the school's renovations, constructions, updates. We are not filthy rich ourselves and we've been doing just fine. The school has been bringing us joy and compared to our friends who have their kids in FL public schools, LHPS is so much more superior. The opportunities our children have without having the useless FCAT distraction to deal with, without having annual budget cuts and teacher cuts are priceless. Consider that!

Posted May 7, 2012

I am a senior at Lake Highland School. This is the WORST SCHOOL to have your child attend. It is a country club and only if your parents are good honest people will you make it out alive. If you want your child to have the same values as John Edwards, pay the bucks to Lake Highland. If you wish them to honest, hardworking good people who enjoy learning -Keep them away--

Posted April 25, 2012

This school continues to impress me. Each year builds on the next and the children really get the opportunity to do anything they want here, from Academics to the Arts and Athletics. Yes, it does cost a few bucks. I work to send my child here because he went to public elementary, and you cannot even compare the two. Great education, great teachers, great everything. It has been worth every single penny. My child is worth it. I know that all can't afford it, but if you can do it.

Posted March 10, 2012

This is a wonderful school. Our child has attended since preK and is now in 10th. Many opportunities, she is way above her friends from Public School. She has amazing study habits that are learned in lower school. Not everyone is rich and clannish. Far from that. All are down to earth and value a good education. There are no discipline problems because they always have a waiting list and will not put up with nonsense.. There is much help with college and it starts in 9th grade. Usually people who do not want to invest in a good education have harsh words. Florida ranks 48 in the nation for education. An A school is not that impressive! LHPS has language classes, art, music and PE every day. They do not cut corners. You have to pay for that. We are HAPPY and LOVE LHPS.

Posted December 11, 2011

I am currently a high school student at LHP and like another review said already if you love your child DO NOT send them to this school. Imagine your child going to a new school and not doing anything socially with other kids outside of school for almost three years. Well that is what I have had to deal with. The kids may come off as friendly but they are snobby and think the world revolves around them because mommy and daddy make a nice amount of money. The teachers are alright but the workload can sometimes be ridiculous. You would be better off sending your child to a public school then spending around $18000 for this school. Just for a little comparison in state tuition at Florida State plus room and board and all your books and other things like transportation will cost you around $19000. So why would you ever send your child to an awful school for the same price as a college? Save the money you would spend on LHP for their college fund

Posted October 16, 2011

Lake Highland is honestly a great school. I don't attend until next year but however I do attend the football games. Just the short amount of time I am there I feel welcome and straight at home. I recommend this school to any and ally people. The only flaw is $16,000 a year but rest assured it is worth it.

Asian 14% N/A
Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 2%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Park Maitland School
Holy Family Catholic School
Orange County/Seminole County Public Schools
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 99% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of Florida
Florida State University
University of Central Florida
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Ying Scholar Grand Award (2013)
  • National Merit Scholarship Competition (2013)
  • International Science & Engineering Fair (2013)

Special education / special needs

Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Special olympics

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

Arts & music

• Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:45 p.m.
  • President Warren Hudson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Mathematics
  • Religious
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel

• Computer animation
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Cooking club
  • Cub scouts
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Flag girls

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Arts & Athletics Boosters
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom