No rating

New School Preparatory

Private | PK-8 | 150 students

Living in Orlando

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $125,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,030.

Posted October 24, 2011

This school is finally closed. They had a great concept, but the directors/owners bullying of students and their parents ultimately cost them their business. It was NOT the economy.

Posted December 6, 2010

As a previous student to this school I would like to start off by saying I would not be where I am today if it wasn't for my experience at the New School. I am currently a Junior double majoring at the University of Florida, which is now known as one of the toughest academic schools in the south. At the New School I was taught to be passionate, I was taught to never be indifferent, but most of all I was taught that I could be whatever I wanted to be. I became well rounded in the arts, sports, language, and academics. Because of the schools strong value in the performing arts, I learned to be very confident with public speaking, a strong leader, and a respected team player. The relationships I had with my teachers and the family atmosphere got me through some of the hardest times of my life.When my parents got divorced I received unlimited support from my teachers. I knew I could talk to any of them and if I had trouble with assignments or felt too stressed, all I had to do was talk to them and we always worked it out. In the future I plan on sending my children to New School Prep.

Posted February 2, 2009

i love this school keep it up you all are great people i dont care what other people think keep it up!!!

Posted December 8, 2007

This school has a reputation for excellence and Thursday night was over and above! Cabinet of Curiosity night embodied the very essence of multiple intelligence education by presenting a student generated evening of curiosities, pirates with pirate ship, gypsies, street sellers, experts on Natives in the New World, ancient Egypt, Rome, jungle explorers, Mayans complete with student built Mayan pyramid, scientists and a King Arthur play. The level of learning that took place cannot even be approximated by a hundred text books. My child went to school excited and came home excitedly relating all that they learned and accomplished that day. The characters, costumes, sets, scripts and information, all student generated, made for a wonderful reaffirmation of why I send my child to this school. Watching older students praise and assist younger school mates, even the Kindergarten's waltz, with such sincere appreciation of one another, was just icing on the cake.

Posted November 30, 2007

As a former student I would not recommend the school to the average child. English was the only class that was beneficial. The rest of the classes were a joke and a waste of my time. I did not fit the cookie-cutter standard in their eyes and it was obvious to me that I was never one of their favorites. I was made to feel stupid because I did not stand out in music, theatre or dance. I went on to a high school that pushed me academically and built up my confidence and self esteem. I am now a very successful college student and I credit very little to this school. Dont waste precious developmental years on a school that does not nurture the average student.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 20, 2007

My child has been in New School Prep for several years and absolutely loves it, as do we (her parents). The school does expect good behavior and compliance with its rules, such as returning homework each day, but those rules are only ones that instill responsibility. When my child has been stressed about something (as all children can be), she has been given encouragement and guidance. My child loves the extracurricular offerings in dance, art, and German. If you want your child to be well-educated academically and in the arts, this is the school.

Posted November 12, 2007

As a former student, I want to thank the staff and directors of New School for a truly unique opportunity to grow and learn in such a safe and nurturing environment. Realistic expectations, confident encouragement, and fair consequences allowed me to realize a potential that would have been ignored in any other setting. The level of academic excellence and true faith in my own ability, prepared me to flourish in high school and beyond. The amazing music, dance and theater programs opened a world that I did not believe that I had access to.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 2, 2007

NSO can best be described as.... an empty promise. this school seemed that it was really a perfect place. but then i began to see the ugly side of things. this 'school' is an immensely stressfull environment. the curriculum was disorganized.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 18, 2007

New School Prep has been a great experience for my child. He has bonded well with his teacher and classmates and feels very at home there. He is allowed to learn at his own pace and has not been pressured to learn to read before he is ready. He loves it so much, he begs to go to aftercare! If your child needs some structure and if your child thrives when expectations are high, then this is a good school for you. Yes, they do expect children to behave well in class. Parents do need to take responsibility for their children, even for children with special needs.

Posted September 17, 2007

The New School Prep is the best preparatory school in Central Florida. My children are in high school now and are years above the rest. From Kindergarten to 8th grade the staff bends over backwards to meet your child's every need, not only in the academics and the arts but emotionally as well. Going through a divorce during middle school age was tough on the kids, but the school handled it with such sensitivity and care that made my life so much easier. These are 'the little things' that are not so little and yet go so far in making happy kids love school. The New school provided a well rounded and rich educational experience that will forever be part of my children's'lives. For that, I'm thankful!!!

Posted September 17, 2007

The school's administration is all about the money. Parents are not welcome on campus. The environment they claim to foster isn't the environment that the students experience. The administration is harsh and uncaring when dealing with student/family issues. They are quick to blame parents for issues they classify as problems. This environment simply isn't conducive to stress-free, joyful learning. There are many better choices.

Posted September 15, 2007

We are very disappointed with our experiences at New School. The atmosphere is one of constant stress, as students are scared to 'mess up' in fear of the consequences. School should be a place of wonder and fun, not fear. How can a child truly learn in such an atmosphere? Those working at the school were friendly and accommodating- until they had my money. Now, I am made to feel like a bother for asking questions. Not recommended.

Posted September 11, 2007

As a grandmother of a former student, I would appeal to the parents looking to send their children here. The teachers are top notch. Unfortunately the teachers do not run the school. We were admonished by administration for allowing our student to watch a educational video about how middle school children made a difference in their community. They felt the subject matter was inappropriate. School should not attempt to police the home lives of their student body in their homes. Should that not be the job of parents? The stress of being 'perfect' was causing health issues for our student. Now several years after leaving, we have our bright, happy child back. Please choose wisely. If you have a sensitive child-this school is not for you. The stress of the rigid rules and lack of positive loving respect can cause great damage to a child. Please choose wisely.

Posted May 22, 2007

My son is finishing third grade at New School and I couldn't be more pleased. He attended another school prior to New School and we felt we were losing him to depression and feeling 'not good enough'. At New School, because of the caring and whole-child centered teachers, we have our funny, confident child back. He is proud of the work he is doing and does not feel pressured or discouraged. He is working at an academic level we never imagined he could achieve and the art, music and dance programs are fabulous. How many middle schools are doing a whole school production of 'A Midsummer's Night Dream'? Our thanks to the teachers in this wonderful school!

Posted May 21, 2007

As I read through the other comments it's obvious that parents either love it or hate it (which I suppose is true of any school). My son has attended New School now for several years and although there are areas which could be improved, I would never send him anywhere else. This is a place where intelligence is considered normal and mutual respect between students and teachers is earned. The kids are encouraged to ask questions and yes, even question authority. They also learn responsibility for themselves.

Posted May 21, 2007

New School is such a great place for kids and parents. I just gave a presentation to my daughter's class last week. Not only were the kids attentive, but they were so well prepared to take in the extra information. I feel extremely welcome at New School and am very glad my daughter is there.

Posted May 14, 2007

Kindergarten and first grade at New School have given me faith that schools can, indeed, inspire children to learn. What I great school. I recommend this school to everyone.

Posted April 19, 2007

New School gave my daughter an amazing academic program and helped her become pro-active in life. The arts program adds a richness to the fine academic standards. There is a positive energy that permeates the school.

Posted April 19, 2007

Great environment for kids to grow and thrive. Our 2 boys have had their creativity and special spirit supported by a warm and loving staff. Academics are top notch.

Posted April 19, 2007

I'm a single mom who works hard to get my child a good private education. This school has a very strong curriculum in a very loving atmosphere. The administration has been very supportive to us.

Two or more races 5% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 2%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab