692 students|Orange

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My daughter will be attending this school for the 1st time and I really like the reviews that I am reading. My daughter will be attending the 3rd grade and came from a grade A school that she attended since Kindergarten. I look forward to having my daughter in this school until she has to go to middle school!! I'm looking forward to a great year!

Always very attentive with the kids and all the extra help kids need are always available.

The teachers at this school are absolutely fantastic. However, there is a huge crisis involving Accelerated Reading at this school. The upper management are using this program to the extreme, forcing children to read way beyond the point of learning or enjoyment. If the children are unable to complete their goals (usually 3 books at 100% per book per week for the younger children), they are "motivated" to keep trying by various methods including lunch detention, loss of treasure boxes, walking during recess, etc. My children have always been excellent readers, due to the fact that I encourage and let them read for enjoyment. This has naturally driven up their reading "scores". Since we moved into this school, I have noticed a steady decline in motivation to continue, as reading has now become a chore...and their score actually decreased because they stopped caring. I wish the principal would trust the phenomenal teachers at this school to find methods other than coercion and abuse of an otherwise good program to naturally nurture the children at this school.

Since my daughters have attended this school I have nothing negative to say regarding their academic progress. My daughter's 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Aymat was always available and informed me of any additional academic resources to help my child. Now in 3rd grade I can see her teachers work very hard and do everything they can to motivate students. . As for my Kindergartener I am more than happy that her teacher Mrs. Perez worked really hard in ensuring that she is 1st grade ready before she went on Maternity. My only complaint is that there is so little parent involvement represented in the PTA meetings. It makes me sad to see so many families at dances, etc yet at PTA often there is less than 10 individuals. Meetings are only 1 time per month usually after 5pm and PTA is so so important. It provided information about your child's classroom grade, activities at school and how the money collected gets spent. Also you can bring your child and have them use the computer in the media center. If any parents are reading this please help support the PTA it really makes a difference in having more parent and even teachers involvements.

Ms Miranda is the best kindergarten teacher.Both of my children excelled in her classroom.Thank you Lawton Chiles!

This is a great school. I have two children enrolled. My son is in 2nd grade and my daughter in 5th grade. They have been there for the previous year as well. The teachers and staff are excellent and are attentive to the needs of students. Their zero tolerance for bullying is great. Among the fantastic teachers such as Mrs. Hoyos, Mrs. Murphy, Ms. Gaumond, Mr. Schafer, Mrs. Carillo are only a few that I have had contact with and as a parent appreciate their great teaching skills!!! Awesome!!! Great School.

Very good school. The principle is very attentive, and takes full ownership of his school.

This is a wonderful school. My child had a great learning experience in 4th grade with Ms. Skoloski and Ms. Rick. These teachers were there for the student. I must admit at first I thought they were too challenging for students until I saw the progress my child was making throughout the year. These two teachers are demanding, but now I am so glad that my child was in their classes. I would like to see the office have better communication with parents. When calling the school most of the time, no one will answer the phone. It was also very difficult to get the vice principal to call you back.

From the outside Lawton Chiles looks like a great school and generally speaking it is good. There are definitely many excellent teachers, but the administration and support staff are weak. Unfortunately, the principal and assistant principal are more concerned about campus 'politics' than making decisions for the best interest of the staff and students.

I absolutely LOVE this school and the efforts put forth by the majority of the faculty and staff. My child had Ms. Beaghley in K and Mrs. Joseph in first grade and my child, as well as the rest of the family ADORED them both. Keep up the good work LCES!

Last modified Lawton Chiles Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.