Orlando, FL

Posted October 17, 2014
Great community. The majority of the teachers are excellent. Administration only cares about test scores. Sanders is only about the money and I would agree, sees kids as dollar signs. Teachers are beat down by the administration. School would be better regardless of test scores due to involved parents. The support administration is weak. Vega doesn't have backbone. Not a leader but a puppet to the principal. Have to give it a one because a school is only as good as their leadership. The school was fantastic-but there is a palpable change and it is not for the better. Choose a neighboring school instead-Timber Lakes or Stone Lakes. Happier kids.

Avalon Elementary School 2

Posted October 15, 2014
Most all of the teachers at this school are great. I wish I could rate the school solely on the teachers. Unfortunately that positive is overshadowed by the administration, specifically the school principal, Pam Sanders. She is highly focused on test scores and that is it. High performance on tests dominate the atmosphere and excludes anything else. There appears little, if any, time for fun and developing a love of learning. Furthermore, I feel the principal sees my child as a dollar sign. I feel this school would be better if there was leadership that respected each child for all their abilities, rather than what test score they bring to the school. They actually posted student names on their marquee that had perfect state tests results. To me school is about more than a test score and the over emphasis unappealing. I had a neighbor move to get away from the testing emphasis that she felt was particularly high at this school. It is unfortunate because this is a great neighborhood with great kids. I think more parents would be involved if there were a more approachable and empathetic leadership. I hope any future administration will run things differently.

Posted June 16, 2014
Avalon is a great school. The teachers care about their students and the staff is friendly and approachable. Although many parents commented on the gifted program, I also believe the focus and support for struggling students or those with an IEP is also excellent. I had two kids go through Avlaon, one needed additional support in reading and math and the other didn't. The one who needed additional support received free tutoring after school and additional reading support during school. Both my kids were challenged and their education excelled. The one who struggled with school was once a C/D student. He is now an A/B student.

Posted March 31, 2014
PTO control this school with the principal being the ringleader. If you are not part of the click, your child will be left behind. They are focus on the children being robots and cranking out perfect grades and making the appearance of a good school. look elsewhere for a good school

Posted February 19, 2014
My child is gifted student. And Avalon Elementary gift class is all day learning with only gifted students, so the curriculum and learning might be different from the Stone Lake Elementary (gifted class offered but not all day setting). I really love Avalon Elementary school.

Posted September 16, 2013
My kids and I love this school!! This school have good teachers and good leaders (Mrs. Sanders and Mr. Vega) that really care on education. I'm happy they are learning and at the same time enjoying everyday here.

Posted May 23, 2013
The self contained gifted classes provide such unique opportunities for kids who are gifted (or high achievers). If they were left in the regular classrooms, they might not get the attention they need and might just be bored. I wish other schools will follow Avalon's model.

Posted April 05, 2013
Here we go again, all they focused on this whole year is the big Teacher Trip to Peru. Not focused on learning at all, just look at facebook...the proof is there. It is amazing to me the school lobbies for a grant/donation for a teacher trip instead of for the students. What about all the kids who can't afford the "required ipad."

Posted March 11, 2013
I like Avalon Elementary School because it's current technology- wise. They have great teachers that have the experience and attitude to have kids happy to learn.

Avalon Elementary School 0

Posted February 21, 2010
This is a good school, but used to be better. Teachers are focused on their big group trip to China, not enough on student learning. I'm sure FCAT scores will still be high since the school teaches for the test.

Avalon Elementary School
13500 Tanja King Boulevard, Orlando, FL  32828
Last modified Avalon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Avalon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 73 reviews. Top