Orlando, FL
Students enrolled: 1,643

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 03, 2015
Oh yes! The teachers really care about and KNOW their students. My son would do the least possible on an assignment if he thought he could get away with it. His teachers have reasonably expected more. They won't let him just slide through the science fair, for example, with a weak effort. Love it!

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 03, 2015
Very minor bullying issues were immediately and delicately handled by the administration. So pleased with how they handled the students involved - reasonable and fair!

Avalon Middle School 5

Posted June 03, 2015
Excellent school! My son is just completing 8th grade here and, again and again I have been so impressed with his excellent teachers who have worked tirelessly to educate, motivate, engage and inspire my son. They have even reached out to me when they have had concerns about his academic performance!! I can't thank each of his teachers enough! Yes, the school is overcrowded (and the community is working VERY hard to get the school board to build a new middle school), but the staff does a phenomenal job not making that an educational issue. I couldn't be happier with the three years my son has spent at Avalon Middle School!

Avalon Middle School 5

Posted February 23, 2015
I am a student and joined this school in 6th grade and now I'm in 7th grade. I love this school. People are so sweet,kind, and very friendly. I have made so many friends and my journey here has been perfect. There's tons of cool electives and all the teachers are truly dedicated. I have a social and school life achieving A's on my report card. There is a lot of students but overall I love this school and would never leave. I recommend it to anyone. Also the administration is very friendly and helpful to me. LOVE THIS SCHOOL 10/10 STARS

Avalon Middle School 3

Posted October 17, 2014
This school is overcrowded! Administration unable to handle all the problems that go along with that. Some teachers are fantastic others are terrible. Kids are becoming problematic as the school continues to grow. Very little communication unless you seek it out yourself. Not pleased with the direction this school is headed. . Traffic is horrible and kids are roaming about before and after school with little supervision. New apartment complexes being built are adding to problems. Lake Nona is better option if considering this area.

Avalon Middle School 1

Posted August 11, 2014
The school is too big and there are many problems with the teachers/guidance counselors that need to be addressed. There is very little communication between the school and the parents about how the kids are doing. Problems that are brought to the attention of counselors/teachers at the school aren't addressed and blame is deflected back to the students. I have heard many other issues voiced by other parents as well. The school is simply too overcrowded to address all the issues properly. The incoming 6th grade class is larger than the outgoing 8th grade classes so the problems will only continue to multiply. There are no prospects for a relief school to even start construction until 2016 so this will be an issue for years to come.

Avalon Middle School 4

Posted July 07, 2013
We recently moved here and I have to say that I am please with the quality of education my child is getting at this school. Overcrowded, yes but I feel that all the big issues are addressed. My child did very well this year. I would suggest that the staff be more hands on with new students instead of letting them tend for themselves. Not all kids are confident enough to handle being in a new school by themselves. Thankfully, there were other children who were brave enough and kind enough to help my child through those first couple of weeks. The office staff is very helpful and the teachers are wonderful, friendly and very professional.

Avalon Middle School 3

Posted August 17, 2012
i hate the principal and one teacher didn't even rember my name till the middle of the school year kept calling me shannon its an ok school but i have to run around as all my classes are spread around the grounds i think we shouldn't have paws though and it would be nice if there were uniforms but thats just because there were a lot of problems with the dress code

Avalon Middle School 4

Posted May 25, 2012
Avalon Middle School is an excellent school. My daughter is in all pre-AP classes and doing well. I love the PE program. They teach you fitness that you can do a life time like running, spinning, and roller blading instead of just group sports. The only criticism I have (but I have of most schools) is that they need to do more writing. Doing a poster or CD cover for a book report isn't the same as learning to write a book report. Grammar and spelling should be graded in all classes.

Avalon Middle School 1

Posted April 27, 2012
If you have a child with Autism Spectrum Disorder be warned. School does not support or want these children. UCF CARD is fully aware of their reputation . It say they are in the stone age when it comes to this issue.. The principles are not evaluated on anything special education related. There is no incentive to improve. There is also no support from Orange County. They just want to move these kids out. There is nothing you as a parent can do about it. Orange county is a big government unionized shop. They have jobs for life. They will tell you that they are very experienced. Do but do not believe it. There have been countless students with ASD drummed out. It starts with excessive punishment and there bullying of the student from staff and students. Do not take a chance with your ASD loved one here. You may end up paying for a lot counseling and have a lot of heartbreak. Recommendations if you have to locate here is homeschooling, or private school (PARAGON is #1, avoid Lawton Chiles) . Your chid can qualify for a McKay with ASD. This will help pay for the private school.

13914 Mailer Boulevard, Orlando, FL  32828
Last modified Avalon Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Avalon Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top