2,183 students|Sarasota

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)

The school is great. The proof is the rankings, test scores, and for me, my child is happy. She has been there 3 years and her grades are good and she has adapted to the school's agenda. If making a decision on this school, look at the facts, and visit the school. If it is the right fit for your child, they will succeed and be happy. All the nay sayers are the ones that like to write negative responses, and it is probably because their child did not succeed at Pine View. The school is exceptional. The people that are happy with the school usually are busy, and don't take time to do reviews. I just ran across this and thought, this is very skewed. Reading these reviews should not be the factors weighing in on sending your child to Pine View. Go by the facts, the visit, and if your child is truly gifted, they will succeed.

My experience here was horrid. Absolutely horrid. I've been everywhere - private, public w/ part-time gifted, regular public, and I can honestly say this is the worst school I have attended. Everything is a mess. Administration is awful. The office staff is not concerned about students or their whereabouts whatsoever. The outdoor campus was ridiculous - Florida is not the place to have an outdoor campus. The classrooms are literally in trailers - um? The teachers. Yikes. The teachers. Maybe it was just my experience, but ALL of the teachers I had were moody. The majority could not teach for their life. The minority that could teach didn't have good personalities. Not to mention the homework is useless - all busywork, nothing that truly makes challenges students or makes them think. And a large majority of the time, it is simply self-learning. The kids are stuck in their cliques that they have had since 2nd grade or however long they've been here. None of them are really friendly to incoming students. I was awkwardly alone for a large majority of my time here, and when I moved, I was making close friends within a week; I would dare to say it's not me that lacked the capability of forming relationships. Most of the kids are narcissistic and believe they are in the "best school in the world." You will hear this everywhere, when in reality, they have not had experience anywhere else half-decent. People who tell you this school is great have obviously not had the experience of any other type of school. The ranking means nothing; It just means they have intelligent kids who will prosper anywhere. It says NOTHING about its facilities, its staff, or its administration. If you're in the area, this may be your best option. I don't have experience with other Sarasota County School, so I can't say how they stack up. But if you're considering moving for this school, or considering the area for this school, please reconsider. If you're looking for a place with a good education system, Florida is not it. Florida education is horrendous, and Pine View would be at best, comparable, to schools up north and in urban areas. If you are really set on moving to Florida (or within FL), look into maybe an urban city (Tampa is close by) and consider a private school or a good public school there.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Our child's teacher is a joke. They have provided nothing more than negative examples of decent behavior.

Amount of homework: Disagree

There isn't really too much homework, but the teacher's disorganization and poor communication exponentially increases the amount of work. It's common for the teacher to delay tests for three or four days in a row or not clearly communicate what material is being tested. We are left with a choice of studying something multiple nights instead of only when it is needed, or possibly studying material that won't be tested because expectations aren't clear. Our son doesn't get off the bus until 4:30, so these wasted minutes are precious to us and we wish the teacher could take responsibility for communicating clearly.

Develops character: Disagree

No. Rich kids can get away with anything, and teachers & administration set a poor cultural example.

Our son is truly gifted, and we are disappointed that his teacher and the administration are so poorly equipped to deal with the needs of a typically gifted child. The work he is given is busy work and not at all challenging (i.e. crossword puzzles and word searches.) Halfway though the year, his 2nd grade class has not done a single hands-on math or science activity. Not one. Just a huge stack of worksheets that aren't challenging in any way other than the fact that his handwriting is expected to be perfect. I can't even begin to summarize how ineffective and outright damaging his teacher is. The good thing about Pine View is that while about a third of the kids there clearly bought their way in and are not gifted, there are some peers our son can relate to. So I suppose he could be in a public school with ineffective teachers and no other social or academic peers, or he could be at Pine View and have a few peers with which to weather the storm. We thought qualifying for this school was a privilege, but it has been a disappointment.

Unfortunately I feel the teaching standard has diminished . I myself have a PhD and know as all of my kids test quickly in the 150 range with MENSA status. Most of these reviews sadly are correct. Truly gifted children are different in their learning styles. I know it sounds amazing to have a truly gifted child but it is challenging. I know I have 4. Pine view does have a problem with bullying. There are students that you raise an eybrow to ?" Gifted you really ? OK. Then you see their parents are Physicians or lawyers or big money somewhere. Oh Ok now I understand. I myself went to a very expensive boarding school 58K per year so I understand and know what manipulative money looks like and I see these kids who are let in because they are privately tested over and over and over till they score and combined with a few A's they score to get in to the school. The teachers do allow favoritism. There was a few teachers who were truly gifted and they moved them into administration. Gifted teaching does not me 6 hours of hard learning every night. Then they pick on all the " Geeky" eclectic truly gifted kids because we are all of normal average social status. The ones of us who are not ( like myself) would really not like to be identified . Go to a real boarding school and if you have you will know the wildy wealthy smart kids look like everyone else and the spooky crazy rich kids usually are not Biff and muffy. ( That is the new money kids) . I pulled my doaughter out in third grade to go back to main stream school in Sarasota County until I thought she was more mature as the bullying was definitely and issue. The school never does anything if you are not one of the rich kids. ( Ha if they only knew she was a trust fund baby ) I laugh. I put her back a few years ago and she does do better as she is more equipped socially to ignore the " I think I haves", She tells her dad all the time that the new principal is ruining the school and she wants to go to boarding school where she is truly challenged, and the social issues are nonexistent. pity The concept is great . But next year shes going to school with her sister in New England.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

These are NOT the PV teachers of even 5 years ago. Most are new, inexperienced, or bitter and unwilling to improve their teaching because of gripes they have with administration.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Teachers, rather than engage students in the classroom, choose to humiliate students and pit them against one another. I say this as an educator from a family of educators and a long list of PV Alumni. So many of us are so heartbroken to see what has become of PV.

After ignoring numerous warnings regarding putting our child in this school, we decided to go for it. Our child was excited to learn and be challenged. The first year went okay, a little rigorous but that's expected. The next year would be when we started to see the school's true colors. If you want your child to come home in tears, be overwhelmed with the amount of work and feel humiliated by the teachers who try to put the students against each other, this school is for you. The best thing we did was take our child out of this school.

Last modified Pine View School is a Public school that serves grades 2-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.