2,183 students|Sarasota

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Pine View School 5

Posted June 15, 2016
The school is great. The proof is the rankings, test scores, and for me, my child is happy. She has been there 3 years and her grades are good and she has adapted to the school's agenda. If making a decision on this school, look at the facts, and visit the school. If it is the right fit for your child, they will succeed and be happy. All the nay sayers are the ones that like to write negative responses, and it is probably because their child did not succeed at Pine View. The school is exceptional. The people that are happy with the school usually are busy, and don't take time to do reviews. I just ran across this and thought, this is very skewed. Reading these reviews should not be the factors weighing in on sending your child to Pine View. Go by the facts, the visit, and if your child is truly gifted, they will succeed.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted January 27, 2016
The school has an overly-narcassistic "we are the best" attitude. School spirit is one thing, but that is not what this is. It is unhealthy belief that they are some sort of divine being. And teachers and administration support this as well. Not to mention, teachers and administration don't tend to have these qualities themselves.

Pine View School 1

Posted January 27, 2016
My experience here was horrid. Absolutely horrid. I've been everywhere - private, public w/ part-time gifted, regular public, and I can honestly say this is the worst school I have attended. Everything is a mess. Administration is awful. The office staff is not concerned about students or their whereabouts whatsoever. The outdoor campus was ridiculous - Florida is not the place to have an outdoor campus. The classrooms are literally in trailers - um? The teachers. Yikes. The teachers. Maybe it was just my experience, but ALL of the teachers I had were moody. The majority could not teach for their life. The minority that could teach didn't have good personalities. Not to mention the homework is useless - all busywork, nothing that truly makes challenges students or makes them think. And a large majority of the time, it is simply self-learning. The kids are stuck in their cliques that they have had since 2nd grade or however long they've been here. None of them are really friendly to incoming students. I was awkwardly alone for a large majority of my time here, and when I moved, I was making close friends within a week; I would dare to say it's not me that lacked the capability of forming relationships. Most of the kids are narcissistic and believe they are in the "best school in the world." You will hear this everywhere, when in reality, they have not had experience anywhere else half-decent. People who tell you this school is great have obviously not had the experience of any other type of school. The ranking means nothing; It just means they have intelligent kids who will prosper anywhere. It says NOTHING about its facilities, its staff, or its administration. If you're in the area, this may be your best option. I don't have experience with other Sarasota County School, so I can't say how they stack up. But if you're considering moving for this school, or considering the area for this school, please reconsider. If you're looking for a place with a good education system, Florida is not it. Florida education is horrendous, and Pine View would be at best, comparable, to schools up north and in urban areas. If you are really set on moving to Florida (or within FL), look into maybe an urban city (Tampa is close by) and consider a private school or a good public school there.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted December 10, 2015
Our child's teacher is a joke. They have provided nothing more than negative examples of decent behavior.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted December 10, 2015
There isn't really too much homework, but the teacher's disorganization and poor communication exponentially increases the amount of work. It's common for the teacher to delay tests for three or four days in a row or not clearly communicate what material is being tested. We are left with a choice of studying something multiple nights instead of only when it is needed, or possibly studying material that won't be tested because expectations aren't clear. Our son doesn't get off the bus until 4:30, so these wasted minutes are precious to us and we wish the teacher could take responsibility for communicating clearly.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted December 10, 2015
My son has learned test-taking strategies and to pay attention to handwriting above all else. And to persevere in an environment of incompetent adults. While that's not the type of perseverance and grit we hoped for, I suppose it has its merits.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted December 10, 2015
My son is actively disciplined for trying to comfort a classmate who is often bullied by the teacher, so NO!

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted December 10, 2015
No. Rich kids can get away with anything, and teachers & administration set a poor cultural example.

Pine View School 2

Posted December 10, 2015
Our son is truly gifted, and we are disappointed that his teacher and the administration are so poorly equipped to deal with the needs of a typically gifted child. The work he is given is busy work and not at all challenging (i.e. crossword puzzles and word searches.) Halfway though the year, his 2nd grade class has not done a single hands-on math or science activity. Not one. Just a huge stack of worksheets that aren't challenging in any way other than the fact that his handwriting is expected to be perfect. I can't even begin to summarize how ineffective and outright damaging his teacher is. The good thing about Pine View is that while about a third of the kids there clearly bought their way in and are not gifted, there are some peers our son can relate to. So I suppose he could be in a public school with ineffective teachers and no other social or academic peers, or he could be at Pine View and have a few peers with which to weather the storm. We thought qualifying for this school was a privilege, but it has been a disappointment.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted November 14, 2015
I forget her name but she used to teach third grade I think and now she is in counseling. Please go back to the classroom. You were great. My daughter loved you as a teacher and it was evident you were what was supposed to be teaching at that school. I wish I could remember your name. Darn. But there is only one teacher that fits that descript.

1 Python Path, Osprey, FL  34229
Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 108 reviews. (941) 486-2001
Last modified Pine View School is a Public school that serves grades 2-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.