Oviedo, FL

Posted August 16, 2013
I had a very difficult time to try to login to my Skyward account, the assistant principal Mrs. May spent enormous time to help me to solve the issue. Before this, I made tons of phone calls, nothing was working. Mrs. May, I just want to say thank you to you. This is the leadership we want to see, this the principal we are lucky to have at Lawton.

Lawton Elementary School 2

Posted August 07, 2013
Lawton has been very disappointing. The school is disorganized and not well managed. The front office was frequently unattended during the 2012-13 school year and I agree with other parents that the staff had difficulty locating students on the property. Those are both big safety concerns. Further, the teachers seem mostly 'checked out' and not very motivated to support or engage the students. I have heard there are strong teachers at Lawton but that has not been my family's experience. In general too many issue to rate the school higher then sub par.

Lawton Elementary School 1

Posted August 06, 2013
An academic "A" but don't let it fool you. There are many good teachers but most appear unhappy. Perhaps because administrative staff is quite rude. They tend to have a general dislike for parents, even those there with the sole intention to help. School plays favorites and PTA is unwelcoming.

Posted April 30, 2013
Great great school! My daughter loves her teachers very much. She enjoys the activities in her school, and loves her school life.

Lawton Elementary School 1

Posted April 29, 2013
Pros: There are a few great teachers and many parents are involved with their kids' education. Cons: No consistent policy to handle disruptive students. When a kindergarten teacher had to be out for a long time, they hired different daily subs instead of one long term sub. Not much learning happened in that class. There is a combined class with two teachers in the same room that is often noisy and chaotic. The PLC office has a main staff member, but if she is out of the office, I hope you don't need to pick up your child. I waited 30 minutes to find an administrator that could locate my child, despite having sent in a note saying what time I would be there. My child had less art and music than children in some of the neighboring schools, and there is more focus on FCAT prep than on being a well-rounded learner. Administrators have been rude to me and a few of my neighbors, especially when parents complained about constant daily subs. While picking up my child one day there was a kindergartener crying from being injured accidentally at recess. I understand that happens, and they did call the parents, but the administrator was cold to that child - not comforting or reassuring.

Lawton Elementary School 3

Posted May 16, 2012
I see there are only positive remarks on here, I love Lawton but have to say I am not happy with the way things are handled with difficult students, My child is not a bad child but I feel year after year the teachers lose patients with ADHD children and will look for ways to make you feel like a failure then encourage you.

Posted April 23, 2012
I went to this elementary school as a child. I just wanted to post here that Mrs. Knott, my 4th grade (1984 or so) teacher, was the first teacher to recognize my writing ability. She told me that I should be a writer when I grow up, and now that's what I do for a living. This same encouragement was followed by Mrs. Schmidt in 5th grade. I never found such amazing teachers in my entire education as I did here, but it made a lasting impression in my life. I just found my photo of Mrs. Knott and that encouraged me to post this review here. I hope your child has as amazing an experience at this school as I did.

Posted February 12, 2012
We have moved around a lot due to our job, and this is our 5th school in 6 years. We hope to stay here for the next 5 years so both of our children can finish out elementary school at Lawton. This is--by far--the best school we have been in. The teachers are excellent. They really care about our kids and go above and beyond to challenge and encourage them. My children love school and are excited about learning. The principal and assistant principal are very approachable and are involved with the students and families. They provide excellent leadership. I am thrilled with the friends my kids have made, too. If I were awarding grades, I would give Lawton an A+!

Posted January 31, 2011
Both my children have gone to this school. The teacher are excellent and parents are very involved. It is a great school in our community.

Lawton Elementary School 0

Posted April 20, 2010
This school has a wonderful Principal, Teaches, and PTA. Very proud to have this school in our community.

Lawton Elementary School
151 Graham Avenue, Oviedo, FL  32765
Last modified Lawton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lawton Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top