Oviedo High School

Public | 9-12 | 2354 students

Posted June 16, 2014

I was wondering if anyone knew the best elementary and middle schools in oveido I would be moving in from out of state

Posted April 3, 2014

When we moved to the area 3 years ago we selected a house based on school ratings and Oviedo schools have not disappointed us. We have a child in elementary and high school and both schools have excellent teachers, school curriculum and activities.

Posted April 3, 2014

Great schools in agreat community . Excellent and careing teachers. Large selection of courses in hs. All schools in oviedo consistant A ratings by state.

Posted April 1, 2014

We moved to Oviedo specifically to enroll our child in Oviedo schools and in particular Oviedo High School. We are glad we did, very happy with all that this school has to offer. The curriculum is competitive and challenging. So many interesting electives and activities for the students to enjoy. Our student getting ready to be a senior is excited about choosing a college. Many AP courses offered in class and online as well. We are very happy with the safe atmosphere and the high level of communication with the teachers and staff. The teachers and students has a lot of pride and spirit.

Posted April 1, 2014

We moved to Oviedo two years ago with two children. We had researched the schools and talked to parents and the Oviedo schools were highly recommended. Our main concern was with our child entering 10th grade in high school, how would they adjust, fit in. Besides the high academic standards we found that the many clubs and activities were a blessing. Our student joined the swim team, and made friends quickly, and even earned a high school letter. Our student also made a diverse group of friends, students from Kenya, Sweden, England, Australia and many other places. Looking forward to next year.

Posted October 30, 2013

My daughter has had a wonderful experience at Oviedo High. The school offers a wide variety of support for any interest or skill that a student has. Academics and scholarship are emphasized, but OHS has a first rate choir, music, art, dance, and ROTC program, as well. Every effort is made to promote civc and community-mindedness, at an early age. It's a friendly, upbeat school, with a strong leader in Principal Lundquist, and professional, dynamic teachers, the vast majority of whom demonstrate exceptional concern for their students. Your child will receive a private school education, in a public school. I will say that I think there is too much testing there. My daughter has another classroom test every week, it seems, in addition to the already over the top benchmark and state testing. Other than that, I'm extremely happy with OHS.

Posted May 24, 2013

I had a terrible experience at this school. There is no diversity or any sort of kindness or welcoming spirit to people who are different or not from Oviedo. I spent my entire first year there as a transfer sitting alone at lunch. You don't fit in unless you're white and attractive. Period.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 17, 2013

Oviedo High School has been a great school for 2 of my daughters, class of 2012 & 2014. They do the very best they can despite cutbacks. Their new Bio Science & Technology Program has been wonderful and challenging for my Science major daughter and their new Science labs are better than ones at colleges! Art teachers have been so encouraging to my Artistic daughter. Homeschoolers are welcome to take some classes and the rest online (SC/FLVA)They take every students safety very seriously and local police involvement has been positive and Ms. Pressley keeps a careful eye on the school parking lots (Love her!) As for office staff, if parents have a good attitude and patience, the staff will do anything to help you. Register your kids for Honors and AP courses to get the most of the class! Oviedo has teachers with PHD's from Rollins and other great colleges. They want our kids to succeed and go on to college. My only wish is that they had more money to hire more guidance counselors and teachers. Keep that in mind the next time you vote!

Posted January 25, 2013

My daughter is a Freshman this year and we absolutely love OHS so far. Most of my daughter's friends from middle school were zoned for Winter Springs and at first we were highly upset that we were zoned for OHS but now you couldn't pay us to leave!! All of her teachers except for one have been amazing. Only complaint I have is the office staff is pretty unfriendly and principal does not follow through with parental concerns.

Posted July 12, 2011

I have been extremely happy with OHS. Our school zone previously included Winter Springs High School. Our oldest graduated from Winter Springs. With the rezoning we were very upset for no other reason than unfamiliarity. After now have 1 child graduate from Oviedo & a second in his sophmore year, I am so happy the change had been made. Oviedo HS is much warmer, more of a small town school feel, wonderful teachers and a terrific student population. Would have no other High School!

Posted July 25, 2010

Oviedo high school is a great school..great teachers..overall excellent school.I wouldn't send my kids to any other high school

Posted October 10, 2009

We have excellent teachers at Oviedo High School, the students help each other succeed in their dreams, and the staff is always there to help you with what ever you need.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 17, 2009

It is always an A+ school which has a spectacular Academics, Athletics and Arts Department.

Posted September 16, 2009

OHS has wonderful teachers, great sports and extracurricular activities. It's an updated campus w/a lot of wonderful students and staff.

Posted January 30, 2009

I have 3 kids who graduated from Oviedo High. I was a very involved parent and loved every minute of it. The teachers and administration could not have been any better. I always felt appreciated and welcome. My children are freshmen and sophmores in college and are doing well, thanks to Oviedo High. They were most definitely prepared. The AP program was the best. My kids were involved in Chorus, which is by far the best program around, I have checked it out. They were also involved in cheerleading, football and wrestling. They have great memories! Thank you Oviedo.

Posted March 18, 2008

Overll great school. Due to community involvement and parental volunteering and teachers taking pride in the school. The administration is the weak link. So long as you are in lock-step you have 100% access. If you ask questions or propose a different method, they border on paranoia.

Posted February 27, 2007

We are the parents of a current freshman. The quality of academics is exceptional. Extra-curricular activities are abundant and diverse. The parent involvement is incredible. There is standing room only at every event parents can attend. My daughter's teachers have all taken the time to address her individual concerns making this one of her most challenging and rewarding years. She is involved in numerous extracurricular activities, and she has made an incredible amount of friends. Every time I have visited the school everyone from the administration, to the teachers to the students have been polite and respectful. We visited private schools in the area, but Oviedo High School offered more, especially for a gifted student, than any of the area private schools. OHS is currently undergoing several million dollars in renovations. My daughter is thoroughly enjoying high school - which makes our lives so much easier. Go Lions!

Posted January 27, 2007

Parent involvement is astounding it's standing room only when the school invites the parents. The teachers are very, very good, interested, educated and motivated. My son graduated and my daughter is there now. Having gone to decent schools in Long Island, New York in the ate 60's early 70's, Oviedo High is better than those schools which I would consider better than shools today. Oviedo High is a top notch qualit education and a very good atmosmphere, I don't think you can get much beetr anywhere in the country.

Posted October 31, 2006

My son's high school years at OHS have been the best, he has gained confidence from so many teachers! Every instructor I have ever contacted has been very quick to respond to my inquiries. The 'PIN Access' system is great (thank you for participating)! The instructors are easily approachable by email or phone. My son has been part of the OHS LIONS football team for several years - the team/school spirit has been fantastic & an inspiration! As my son son leaves for college next year, I know his years at OHS will always remain a fond part of his life. I feel he is ready for the next stage of his life. OHS & the OHS LIONS-we will keep you in our hears! Sincerely, Sheila Mace

Posted January 16, 2006

My 3 children have attended OHS from 94 to-date. My daughter is currently a junior. The academic level is good, however I do have complaints about the administration (not the teachers). Administration is often difficult to reach and I've found some of them to be curt with me. My kids have all said the office staff is often rude. Additionally, 2 of my kids have had the same guidance counselor because the counselor is assigned by alphabetical listing of your name. That should be rotated, as we have not been very happy with our counselor. She rushes & is not thorough with explanations. The administration should be more conscious of how they speak not only to the kids, but to the parents. Col Nardo & NJROTC is great!

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

568 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

580 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

579 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

479 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

245 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

578 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

497 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

499 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs