Tuskawilla Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1144 students

Posted November 14, 2012

This school's administrators are terrible! They do not listen to the parents, they pass judgement, they do not wish to do what is in the best interest of the students, only what is in their own best interest. They do not in any way treat parents like partners and they will not even consider any opinions of the parents. I agree with an earlier response. They are old school and very negative and this stems from the Principal.

Posted November 14, 2012

The Principal is "old School" and does not understand the psychology of kids or learning today. No positive re-enforcements, only negative.

Posted January 11, 2012

I am a full time student at TWMS. There are alot of fights here, and they seem to do nothing about it. The teachers are mean and dont wanna deal with anything that doesnt concern them. The front office ladies are rude. Our school rating is dropping, and i can clearly see why... I REALLY HATE THIS SCHOOL!!!

Posted January 11, 2012

Not good teacher quality,,,,Ive seen more care and action on behalf of " some" vice principales than the long reigning principal.

Posted October 31, 2011

My daugther has been a student for the last 2 years. Seems like the school is going down hill. There are so many figths in this school and it seems like nothing is being done to stop it. The office staff are always so rude and when you go to the office the people are just so cold and really dont care what you have to say. Seems like maybe they need to change the leadership in this school .Seems like everytime you call they take message or the staff are to busy to return your call. You would think that the leadership in this school would be better ! Everytime you call about the bus being a hour late theysay that it is not there problem to call another number.Well if kids dont show up for school whos the person to contact. I am very disappointed in this school lately

Posted June 4, 2011

I was a student at TWMS, I was also a cheerleader there too! I must say the teachers were pretty nice and I made a lot of friends. Why I switched was because there was a lot of fights and I was afraid to go to TWMS. That was actually the only problem I had. None of the fights involved me in them, but there was also a lot of drama, some including me (It was not big big drama) You need to know that Tuskawilla is not a babying school, the kids are rough, yes. The Teachers give you a lot more responsibly, yes. In my new school, all they did was baby us, and the girls were worse! I am switching back to TWMS, all my friends want me back and after expirencing what being BABY-ED is like, I HATE it! I hope to see everyone there and I also, before I sign out, would like you to know, if you think this school is supposed to be a perfect school, it's not! This school is REALITY, you see everything there, and some times what you might see is worth watching.

Posted April 18, 2011

My comment if for any parent of an (ESE Child) considering this schhol - As a parent of an ese child that attens this school, I would not recommend bringing or placing your child in this school. I am a long time advocate and well versed in the IEP world and special education rights of our kids, and administration here not only implements programs without parents knowledge, they will conduct meetings, and so forth without any parent involvement or notification (all of which I can prove to anyone interested in emailing me) There are only two categories of "special ed" kids at this school, very very bad off, and somewhat bad off basically in lamens terms. If your kid is just in the "gray area", they are placed in all regular ed classrooms with a ESE teacher that maybe comes in to certain subject areas throughout the week maybe 2 or 3 times tops, this is their version of "support faciliation" which is the actual name of the model this school follows which is part of the Seminole county school system model. Huge failure, kids struggle by being dumped into only these two categories, and do not receive the "real " support they need being an ESE child, and according to the IDEA act.

Posted March 10, 2009

Im goin to tuskawilla middle i love this school but the teachers are a little pushy

Posted February 25, 2008

I attended Tuskawilla Middle School my entire 6th and 7th grade year and part of my 8th. My new school made me realize how much of an amazing school twms is, and why it is an 'A' school. I had a great connection with many people there including all my teachers because their best interest truly is the well being of their students. It's also a sanitary learning environment especially compared to most middle schools. It just has a great welcoming atmosphere that isn't common in a school.

Posted February 24, 2008

I am currently attending this particular school and although I (of course) pretend to hate it, due to popularity issues, I honestly do not mind it. And even though i find certain teachers rude and difficult to deal with, all in all this school seems to be adequately equipped to fill my educational needs.

Posted December 16, 2006

I recently just came to this school about 5 months ago and I like it so much better than my old one. The students here are so much nicer and down-to-earth than the school I transferred from, within the first week I made 3 friends. The teachers are also very focused on teaching us the right material. I like this school a lot.

Posted January 16, 2006

Great school and I loved the team concept they had when I was there. My teachers always went beyond what was required and made me feel I could anything if I just tried.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 7, 2005

I have attended this school and was miserable. Most of the teachers [are] very rude , though they have different levels of math classes and I enjoyed my 7th grade math class , the teacher did very good , also there is an intensive math class which ws not bad. I hated this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 11, 2005

I was very impressed with the band, honor society and sports programs at the school. I did not see much art. Although there was a video production class it was full. The academic program was adequate. I felt they could have pushed the students a little more.

Posted June 24, 2005

I have been pleased overall with the academics at TMS with the exception of the lack of emphasis on writing skills. Perhaps when my son has advanced language in 8th grade however in 6th and 7th grade, an advanced class in language is not available. There is not a large variety of extracurricular activities and sports available at TMS. If this is something your child is looking for, this would not be the best school to attend. The music and art classes are sufficient and their yearbook staff program is good. Parent Involvement seems strong but as a working parent, I am not personally involved in the daily or monthly happenings at the school. I stay involved with my son's academics, well being and safety and feel comfortable that many parent's stay involved at TMS to ensure these things for their children as well.

Posted June 22, 2005

For years my child struggled with math, never able to obtain a grade higher than a 'C'. She just completed her first year at Tuskawilla, joining 6 weeks after the year started. I let the school know I was concerned with her math grades and they put her in an 'intensive' math class. We have watched with pride as her grades slowly went up. Her final report card arrived in the mail this week, and in BOTH math classes (intensive and standard) she received a B. We are very happy with this school and it's staff!

Posted May 10, 2005

This school is very good. I have a good time but still learn everything I need to know.

Posted June 19, 2004

I believe that this school is a great one. The students are behaved most of the time. There are a lot of clubs and the honor society rocks! The teachers are very helpful and make sure that the students are on track and understanding the material learned in class. The teachers have great manners, are perfessional, willing to help the students, and try to reach out to the parents. The school is mantained and is in order. I love the great selection of electives, more than any other middle school in the county. Teachers use a lot of different methods of teaching students:videos, books, computer activities, etc. The new principal is very willingly to see change and is very open to student requests. He takes his job with care. Finally, the great media center has tons of new books. It is very good to have 'new' books rather than ancient books!

Posted May 11, 2004

I think that this school is so-so. The teachers are fine, but the students are disrepectful. I mean some of them. Overall it's is a great school.

Posted November 10, 2003

I go to this school. it's a good school in all but I think we could use more learning materials such as computers that will actually work...windows in the school...the no windows thing gives it a prison like feeling.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

327 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

327 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

382 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

380 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

409 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

409 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

407 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

406 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

367 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

166 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music