952 students|Seminole

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My son's kindergarten experience was wonderful, his teacher provided care and structure, while encouraging character building and creativity. But first grade was another story. His teacher was not equipped and not interested in teaching a student with a 504. He was shamed, isolated, unchallenged academically, and again, his 504 accommodations were not followed. He was spoken down to constantly. We requested he be moved to a different class twice. His teacher didn't want that, and the principal didn't wish to rock the boat. It has been a disheartening experience...and we've watched our son begin to dislike school and feel badly about himself. We withdrew him, which was a terribly difficult decision, considering we moved to the area for the schools. I can't stress enough that his 504 accommodations were not in place in the classroom - I don't recommend this school if you have a child with a 504. The principal does not want to upset the status quo.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

Absolutely not. My son's 1st grade teacher didn't know his 504 accommodations at first, and after being informed, did not put them in place. She did not have a classroom management plan, structure, or positive consistency in the learning environment. The administration would not ensure that she followed his 504. His K teacher was terrific, though, and provided accommodations in a safe and caring classroom.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The principal does not wish to get involved with the concerns of parents, especially if the teacher is upsetting the parents; he doesn't want to rock the boat. He does not keep the best interests of the child in mind.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework is busy work, not challenging, and not consistently checked (at least in my child's first grade class).

Our experience has been very good at the school. No school is perfect and I truly believe that everyone involved is doing their best. I must disagree that the PTA sets the tone of the school. I think the teachers and administration set the tone of the school. It has been my experience that the PTA welcomes as much help as possible. I have been contacted by them and always found them to be grateful for the assistance.

The good : My 3rd ( and final) child is in her last year at this school. The teachers are the best and thankfully a new principal who actually seems to care has just taken over. The previous principal left much to be desired. Things seem to be improving already with the replacement. The bad: We have watched this school slowly become almost sterile and even cold feeling. The PTA is a mix of a select few who are in it for the right reasons and then your stereo typical catty group of women that run everything and want to make sure you know they are doing it. There is very little communication regarding volunteer opportunities. The same group seems to take over time and time again giving no chance for others to step up and get involved. There is quite the bad attitude towards any parent that dares question why things happen the way they do or how money raised by the PTA is spent. There is no transparency and seems to be no public record of any meetings or spending. I would urge them to do an anonymous survey to ask why parents have stopped wanting to help, purchase memberships or even participate in raising funds. It will undoubtedly lead back to people not wanting to be around or associated with the negativity and endless gossip. Just this week in the media center conversations were overheard that should never be taking place anywhere let alone on the school campus. Ask around and parents will tell you it's obvious who is involved because they care and who shows up for all the wrong reasons. There seems to be a few who are there with the very best of intentions and it's too bad the bad apples ruin it for the rest. You may say the PTA is not part of the school and shouldn't affect the rating but I disagree completely. The PTA in every school is what sets the tone. There is just no denying that fact. After nearly 15 years with kids at this school I am sad to say that our final year here isn't what we would have imagined. Before you jump on me I have signed up every year to help and asked to be contacted. People want to help but are made to feel unwelcome if they are allowed to. It's very unfortunate but maybe with some house cleaning things could be improved. This school used to stand out for all the right reasons. Now it's known for all the wrong reasons.

This is a fabulous school with great teachers , the comment written on jan 27 th is totally shocking and in my opinion and I'm sure many others opinions is definitely not true

The second grade teachers have so much passion in what they do. They believe in their students. Amazing school. I dislike the exterior entrances, but I believe the administration does their best to make it safe.

The school is full of hazing and abusive teachers. It is more like a survivor camp not like a school. One teacher told me it is my fault that she even has to work. Aweful.

I went to carillon and now I'm a student at Hagerty. I had really good teachers. My favorite teacher that I had is Ms. Patterson she's always their for all her students, and she's understanding.

Last modified Carillon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.