354 students|Brevard

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)

Not much needs to be said about this school here. Ask around and you will find out everything you need to know. Please notice that there are a bunch of positive comments about the school all in a row on January 7, 2016. That doesn't seem strange to you? I counted 9. As someone who was personally asked to write a positive report about the school by administration because there were so many negative ones I can say that seems like exactly what's going on here. They are losing more and more great teachers each year. Why would so many leave? It becomes clear that it is not a coincidence but a problem within.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My child learns so much from her teachers. My older daughter still keeps in contact with a few of her teachers from Royal Palm. The teachers go above and beyond what is expected.

Amount of homework: Agree

Of course there are some days where my child may bring home a lot and others where they have none - they say they are an accelerated program so I'm not surprised to see it. My older child was so prepared for high school!

Develops character: Strongly agree

The teachers and administration give students chances to talk about how they are feeling and work through problems. It's not all about academics, but also do life skill lessons!

I love this school. My child has been here since Kindergarten and is now in 5th grade. The teachers and staff push the students to their fullest potential. The gifted teacher is amazing and I love that they are doing above grade level work within the classroom.

This is an amazing school!!! The teachers and principal are so caring, and really do go above and beyond for their students. The teachers are very friendly with one another as well as families, and are always smiling and welcoming. My daughter has never been happier since we brought her from public school, and is even now in the gifted program! This is DEFINITELY the school of choice!

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework seems to be used because little instruction takes place in the classroom. We've talked to the teachers and while we don't know why, they describe a school day with very little instruction, mostly small group work that they supervise. While some kids may be ok with that, I think most kids need to be taught, not left to their own devices.

This school has gone downhill enormously since we started in Kindergarten. Teachers are making a mass exodus. One teacher actually walked out during fall festival, just quit. Teachers in some grades quit two weeks into the semester and weren't replaced for some time, though I believe they are replaced now. Students in 3-5 grades have a ridiculous amount of homework every night, and according to their teachers, the principal demands it. There are too many projects, also reportedly because the principal demands it. Kids should not have to spend 5 hours a night on homework, not ever, much less multiple times a week. We truly do not think our child learns anything during the school day, because we can't discern anything he's learning that we don't know for a fact we had to teach him. Two of his friends have been pulled out over the past six months. One is being pulled at the end of the year. We've just made the decision to pull him out after Christmas. We used to love the idea that he could remain here through the end of middle school, but if this school cannot handle 3-5, there is no way they can handle middle school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Teachers are running from Royal Palm, and they're being replaced with mediocre to terrible teachers. The principal has terrible judgment when it comes to hiring.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Way too much homework and ridiculous numbers of projects, especially in fifth grade and up.

Last modified Royal Palm Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.