No rating

Weiss School

Private | PK-8 | 220 students

Unleashing the potential of Gifted Students

Living in Palm Beach...

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $205,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Posted December 6, 2010

The Weiss School is one of the best preschools. My son is READING AND WRITING on a Kindergarten level and we're not even halfway through the EC4 schoolyear! They don't push the children, but do let them advance at their own, individual ability. They learn and they have fun doing so. Last year, our son was suspended for tantrums and anti-social behavior. Thanks to their recommendations and working together as a team, our son is reading and LOVES school. I love seeing my son happy and learning. I recently had surgery and my son made me a card on his own. "For Papa, git well soon". While not 100% correct, he did it phonetically, with no help, and he is 4! I want my son to grow up loved, happy, and educated and Weiss is doing a great job in helping with that. I couldn't ask for more from a school.

Posted December 3, 2010

My Son is at the Weiss school in preschool. I find it very upsetting that a preschooler was expelled. I have to say, many 'red' flags have presented themselves in the last few months. There have been teacher firings, re-hiring of previously 'let-go' teachers. My son brings home mass produced/copied workbook sheets. He also watches 'learning' videos..which I find upsetting, as he can do that at home. I hear kindergarten is better, although I also know the public schools do a great job of running gifted programs. If you are looking...recommend you wait until Kindergarten.

Posted November 27, 2010

After reading the previous post, I find it comforting to know that The Weiss School suspended a child from inappropriate behavior. One of my main reasons for switching to The Weiss School from a public school gifted program was because my son was getting bullied from other students for being "smart." The Weiss School's academic are fantastic and the teachers also know and understand the social needs of gifted students. I'm happy I made the switch this school year. My son comes home happy everyday and is not stressed about going to school. It's nice to know there is a school that doesn't accept negative behavior and places high value on education.

Posted November 26, 2010

Don't go to preschool if your child isn't 100% perfect! Weiss suspended my daughter for a tantrum, leaving two working parents without child care. She had two tantrums in 4 mos. Granted, the last one was bad..and I could understand a 'pick her up'...but they wouldn't let us in until she had a psy. eval. She was tired and kicked a teacher as she was taking her to time-out. Bottom-line: they do not deal well with 'active' kids. Funny..b/c most active kids are gifted. They need to figure that one out, or start calling themselves, a school for 'gifted-perfectly behaved' kids.

Posted November 2, 2010

We are very pleased with the teachers our son has been blessed with this year. There have been changes at the school, but one thing remains constant in our eyes: the high calibre of educators chosen to be part of The Weiss School staff. Our son is learning and growing at a wonderful pace. He enjoys his special subjects, as well as the core curriculum and approaches assignments with passion and a positive attitude. He is being challenged, as well as nurtured, by teachers that know how to peak his interest in a variety of subject areas. The teachers each bring their own personality traits to the table, yet all echo the school mission statement, which can only help children become confident, well-rounded individuals. Our son is fortunate to be surrounded by such a dedicated, talented group of educators who never seem to stop going the extra mile for their students.

Posted October 31, 2010

This school is absolutely a JOKE! My son was is kindergarten and my daughter in pre-school at Weiss, having just moved here from Broward county, we had our son tested, and he tested gifted and extremely high. So he and our daughter attended Weiss 3 years, and honestly the only reason we stayed is because we were afraid to switch them. Being new to the area, not knowing what was out there and having such a horrible public school experience we stayed. We also of course bonded with alot of the other families. We were however, NEVER happy. Our kids are currently in a charter school and so much more challenged. Just goes to show you you can sell anything if you stick the right label on it!

Posted August 2, 2010

We are so fortunate to have found The Weiss School. Our son had attended another school for gifted children, however his social/emotional needs were never met. The teachers at Weiss are warm, welcoming and skilled at motivating gifted children. The Tae Kwon Do program develops focus and discipline, while allowing the kids to move and expend energy. The Spanish program has taught him more in one year than the last 3 years elsewhere! Communication between parents and teachers/administration/student services is open and consistent, with appropriate followup. Our son thrives at The Weiss School and we couldn't be happier. Thank you Weiss School.

Posted July 21, 2010

I am a student at Weiss and I think that it is a great school. I learned a lot and had so much fun. The teachers at Weiss are nice, firm and they make learning fun. I am glad that grades are posted online weekly because if there are any discrepancies, I can talk to my teachers and they fix the mistake before report cards are sent home. Friday morning shows are a great way to end the work week and celebrate the talents in our school. Thank you Weiss School!

Posted June 21, 2010

Very good school. Small class sizes and accelerated cirriculum very condusive to early childhood learning. They focus on academics but also social development and physical activity. Taekwondo program is excellent.

Posted June 6, 2010

The Weiss School has given my child the education that she was lacking in the public school system. Everyone from the classroom assistants to the Head of School understands the nature of the gifted child.

Posted May 27, 2010

It is such a pleasure to find a school that truly teaches a gifted program; Weiss teaches students to think deeply, to analyze, and to problem solve. Weiss teachers truly understand the full range of educational needs of a student. The school is structured to easily allow students to take advanced classes, and the curriculum is rich, including language, music, theater, and taekwondo. The expectations are high, and the support structure is there to help students meet those expectations. Weiss offers an exceptional education. We just finished our first year at Weiss (5th grade), and are looking forward to 6th grade!

Posted May 18, 2010

For all of you who didn't know, the Weiss School is NOT a nonprofit organization like most private schools. It is a for profit corporation. You can find this information on the Secretary of State website. The PTA is a nonprofit and they in turn support the for profit school. Just something to think about...

Posted May 13, 2010

Not so much.....The location is wonderful, the school itself is pretty. Tendancy to loose excellent teachers and the remainder are just adequate. Some cases gifted equates to money instead of intellectual capacity. Biggest disappointment, the environment did not help my children socially. Academically, my children have done well in high school but I can't help but feel that somehow they suffered due to the lack of social interaction amongst classmates for all those years.

Posted December 17, 2009

Our Megan is currently in 5th grade and has been going to Weiss since 1st. She was at St. Marks and was not challenged. The staff of St. Marks suggested we have her tested for gifted, which we did and Megan was in the upper percentiles. She immediately was challenged at Weiss and has not looked back. Extremely safe environment which was number one concern for my wife and I. Great staff, extracirriculars, personal and caring. Megan is very happy at Weiss and is constantly challenged and happy. We love the school and recommend it.

Posted November 6, 2009

We are delighted with the Weiss School for gifted children. The high teacher to student ratio ensures that each child receives immediate and specific instruction to meet his or her needs. Teachers are exceptional as they design lessons to reach children in multiple ways. The students are challenged academically and are allowed to progress at their grade level or at an accelerated pace as appropriate. Parents are kept abreast of student s progress on a daily/weekly basis so there are no surprises. The curriculum is well rounded with an outstanding academic program that is enhanced with art, music, tae kwon do, and foreign language to name a few. The administration and staff is top notch; many of whom are recognized leaders in the education of gifted children. We encourage parents seeking a truly exceptional education experience for their children, to consider The Weiss School.

Posted August 9, 2009

I am a student at Weiss and have been going there for 7 years, the education I recieve is better than any you could recieve. The teachers are great and loving. This is a great school!
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 11, 2009

Weiss is a remarkable place. Our children have an insatiable appetite for learning thanks to the environment at this school. The teacher to student ratio is fantastic, and the atmosphere is exciting and challenging. The teachers are exceptional and the staff is genuine and caring. We love that our kids love to go to school. As parents, there are many ways to be involved with school activities and beyond. Our experience with Weiss has been a rewarding one.

Posted February 20, 2009

Without the care and dedication of the teachers, I would not have known that my child was having anxiety. Their willingness to work as a team with me and my child's therapist is allowing my daughter to regain confidence and enjoy learning again!

Posted January 13, 2009

I love Weiss. Middle School at Weiss is wonderful. It would be hard to pick a best teacher. He loves Spanish and is beginning to use the language. He is excelling in math. Language Arts and Social Studies are up-to-date and interesting. My son also loves music, band and especially Taekwondo. The science looks very hard, like something I had in college, but the kids eat-it-up. The homework is just the right level and only given in subjects where it makes sense, like math. While there is homework in the other academic classes, it is usually pretty brief. The best thing is that my son is happy, has loads of friends, both boys and girls, and enjoys school every single day.

Posted October 19, 2008

I am from Melbourne and had the privilege of taking classes towards my gifted endorsement at The Weiss School this past weekend. I am amazed at the exceptional administrators and staff at this wonderful school. They were all so welcoming, informative, and helpful to us. The climate in the building as I toured it on Friday was happy and friendly. The students were very polite and courteous. The administrators and faculty are an amazing group of individuals that care about each other and are working hard to provide the best education for their students. Keep up the great work Weiss School and thanks for everything!
—Submitted by a teacher

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school
  • Dr. Denise Spirou
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Foreign languages
  • Music
  • Performing arts
  • Science
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Organize cultural events
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Apply now

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Suncoast