No rating

Weiss School

Private | PK-8 | 220 students

Unleashing the potential of Gifted Students

Living in Palm Beach...

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $205,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Posted February 29, 2008

We moved to the area because the 50-minute-ride was killing us. That is how high we value the education both of my children received at Weiss. Teachers are all very devoted and qualified and work their best to fit all students' learning styles. I highly recommend this amazing school.

Posted February 28, 2008

This is my child's 2nd year at the Weiss School. I would not choose any other school in Palm Beach County over the Weiss School. The administration,faculty, and academic program are outstanding!

Posted February 25, 2008

I have to say that it is amazing to read all of the reviews. I have been a parent at The Weiss School for 5 years. Although it is not a non-profit, all of the proceeds are put back in to the school for the students. The owner of the school is there everyday and does not recieve a paycheck. It has been my experience that the unhappy parents are the ones who think their children can do no wrong. Weiss is an environment that guides and fosters your child's intellect. The negative reviews are from the parents who will never be happy anywhere.

Posted February 25, 2008

This is my second year at The Weiss School. After reading all of the reviews, I can't believe how many reviews are not accurate. Our teachers are the most dedicated I have had the pleasure to work with. We have other teachers come to our school to take the gifted education endorsement classes and they comment how dedicated and knowledgeable our teachers are. Our teachers are certified or are eligible for certificaton and have completed or are in the process of completing their gifted endorsement. You can check out the website to see who has completed their coursework. They spend endless hours on their lesson plans and accommodate the children. We have many other accredited schools who travel all over the state of Florida to view our curriculum and technology. Weiss is certainly an environment you would want your gifted child in.

Posted February 22, 2008

This is my daughter's 3rd year attending The Weiss School. When my daughter got tested by a licensed psychologist, he highly recommended Weiss to accommodate my gifted daughter. One of the things that I found most fascinating is that the teachers and administration were open to my request about assessing my daughter at an advanced grade level. It is refreshing to know that the administration is highly qualified in gifted education. They are not just 'business' minded people-they actually have education degrees at the post graduate level so they know exactly what to do for the gifted child.

Posted February 19, 2008

I came fro a public school where all they did was teach to the FCAT - drove my child crazy beause he knew all this information and was bored out of his mind. My son really enjoys all the hands on teaching that is done at Weiss and loves the many ways they make use of computers. He uses something in his class called a Smartboard which is all he ever talks about. Teachers are great and friendly and all seem to work together. Adminstration has always made itself available when I need. Would highly reccommend! IT's worth a look

Posted February 13, 2008

They help these kids not just academically, but socially. Social adjustment for some gifted children is very difficult and they need special nurturing. The Weiss School understands. They acknowledge and appreciate different learning styles. Of course, they provide excellent academic preparation and accelerate the student as needed.

Posted February 11, 2008

I have been a teacher at The Weiss School for many years. During that time, the administration has always been extremely supportive of the teachers and provide us with the opportunity to obtain our gifted endorsement. Just like any educational requirement in Florida, we have 3 years to complete the coursework. The Head of the School, who was past president of FLAG and taught gifted students, meets with the teachers every 4 weeks to review our lesson plans to make sure we are differentiating the curriculum for our gifted students. Every teacher at the school is extremely dedicated-there is not one teacher who works an '8 to 4' day. We love our jobs and enjoy being with the children every day.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 6, 2008

The school overpromises and underdelivers. There is no individualized curriculuma s they want you to believe. Many teachers are against accelerating students, but are more apt to coddle these students. Deadlines are pushed back, tests are rescheduled. The students are not challenged like gifted students should be. The parents are the substitute teachers. The gifted endorsement training is performed by the principal and another administrator of the school. It is not obtained from a university. There are far better options in which to obtain a great education for your children. The teachers may care about the students, but the wealthy parents run the school and as such the teachers are limited in their effectiveness. We will certainly not be returning in the fall.

Posted January 31, 2008

My son attended the public school gifted program from K thru mid 3rd grade and he was incredibly unhappy until we moved him to Weiss. Weiss moves at a faster pace than public school and encourages children to love learning. There is nothing worse than a highly intelligent child being told to slow down so others can keep up. Weiss is a truly unique environment that allows him to move as fast as he wants with the support that he needs. My husband and I are grateful for it everyday. I drive 45 min.daily each way to have my son attend. The public school gifted program forces children to do monotonous, repetitive tasks by which only the truly gifted child is bothered. The parents, teachers, and staff are truly concerned with the needs of gifted children and go above and beyond to address them.

Posted January 27, 2008

My children have been going to The Weiss School for 4 years. I have found this to be an excellent school with inspiring teachers and administration. My gifted children are challenged and happy. They are taught to think out of the box, creatively solve problems and lead. This school is more than I could ever want in a school.

Posted January 21, 2008

Until recently my child attended Weiss. My child had 2 gifted teachers in 5 years. The school touts its gifted curriculum but the truth of the matter is that generally that is not what is taught. When my kid transfered out to gifted public school my kid was behind in math and writing skills just to name a few and had received straight 'A' average at Weiss.

Posted January 14, 2008

My children have attended The Weiss School for the past 7 years. I am proud to say that the school encourages and fosters their abilities whether it be academically or socially. In addition to the fabulous faculty, (who indeed have their gifted endorsement), the administration is always there with a listening ear. It is also nice to know that you are greeted with a smile and welcome into the school anytime.

Posted January 12, 2008

Before Weiss my children had only attended public school gifted programs, and comparatively, this school is a joke. The sense of entitlement this school and its parents instill in students creates an environment that coddles rather than challenges. One thing's certain, at the Weiss School, no child would ever fail. Parents are the culprits here--what can you ask of sheltered students who have gone through life having their (dubiously) high IQs tossed around as an extension of their parents 'success'? The Weiss School gives the image of being a St. Ann's or a Crossroads-like school, but first it needs to learn the value of learning for the sake of learning--the only attitude toward education that can really provide gifted children with the rigor they need and deserve.

Posted January 10, 2008

My daughter is in middle school and transferred in recently. She loves it! We had been at another private school for 7 years that had an accelerated curriculum. At Weiss she is finally being academically challenged! Weiss celebrates being gifted whereas most schools do not! I regret not moving her years ago.

Posted January 10, 2008

I love this school and my son is soaring. He has been here for five years and loves it. He is leap years ahead of his neighborhood friends of the same age. His classmates are the nicest kids and his teachers are dedicated and kind.

Posted January 7, 2008

My son is a fourth grader at The Weiss School. He began as a shy 1st grader. He has blossomed into an accomplished student in academics, athletics and music. Mostly, the unique opportunities offered at Weiss (to have a sixth degree black belt teach Taekwondo twice a week; an inspirational drama and music teacher to find his hidden talents and the chance to jump ahead to pre-algebra) to name a few, has turned a formerly shy student into a happy, motivated learner. When you have a gifted child and you don't know the best way to nurture his/her talents and interests, trust Weiss. They know exactly how to bring out the best in gifted children.

Posted November 26, 2007

I am a former student of the Weiss School. I can say, after being there for 6 years, that it gave me a great education that has helped me in my high school studies. I am, in all honors classes and doing well in all of them. I enjoyed the small classes, which enabled each student to learn their best, and the teachers were always able to help.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 19, 2007

I used to attend this school, and am sorry to say that it is extremely disappointing the education that I received. I am currently in high school at a public school and am getting a much better education. The whole school is run by the parents and their monetary status. If you are looking for a school that sells you on one thing and gives you another, here it is. Otherwise, I suggest that you take your money and save it for something else. I only say this because I honestly feel as though I am getting a better education in public schooling.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 30, 2007

This school was a nightmare to attend. The entire school has an extremely liberal bias and those not accepting this doctrine were made to feel inferior in every way. As a student it was hammered down our throats that we were better than everyone else because we are 'gifted'. The middle school was so ridiculously small, there was no social life at all. The place was a total waste of my parents money.
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school
  • Dr. Denise Spirou
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Foreign languages
  • Music
  • Performing arts
  • Science
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Organize cultural events
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Apply now

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Suncoast