Palm Harbor Academy

Charter | K-5 | 57 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 21, 2013

this school dropped my daughter off with no adult home and had no explantion for this

Posted September 17, 2012

My children has attended Palm Harbor for the past two school years. My children transferred into PHA because they were struggling at the local public school . The teachers at Palm Harbor worked with my daughters. They gave them additional help and free tutoring. I don't care what anyone say, PHA is where my kids are staying!! My kids no longer feel dumb because the teachers were not willing to help them.

Posted September 9, 2012

I advise any parent to stay away from this school. If you care about your child and about where your tax dollars go, my child became much worse after he was bullied in the play ground and even on the buss to and from school. The staff are really bunch of liers,before we enrolled our child there we asked the registrar about the FCAT and what was the percentage of students who passed and we were told 100% of them did and I found out just recently while I was driving on the radio they said the school got an F grade two years in a row. Can you imagine the disapointement I felt ? I am very upset with myself that I did not research this school myself to find out the truth about it. This the reason for this review, I do not want anpother carying parent to make the same mistake.

Posted November 17, 2011

I give Palm Harbor Academy a poor review; however. The teachers go above and beyond to try to create a wonderful experience for the children. There is no playground, no equipment, no P.E and no Art Program. The school says it focuses on performing arts and science, but there is "0". I don't see the science besides the little the students learn in their regular classes. There is no multi purpose room or stage for plays. The program is poorly funded. There is music; however do to the poor funding there aren't instruments. The classroom is very small...looks like an office. Questions are always unanswered. My concern is the pick up system. There is nobody monitoring who is coming into the building. Anyone could come in without a problem without any identification or print out name tag...It's crazy that any stranger could walk in and go straight into a classroom. I have also noticed that the school can't keep the same teachers. Teachers quit and come and go...it is a sign that this school is a poor choice. This school advertises a well rounded education program, which it really does not offer! Ask question and you will soon find out!!!

Posted March 11, 2011

A parent commented on the stepping team @ Palm Harbor Academy. First, I am simply a parent that volunteered to develop a stepping team. I know very little about stepping, but I saw a need to create a place where boys could get together and interact with each other. Up to then, the guys had no male outlet. I am simply a 'big brother' to your sons. The 'Simon Says game, I used as a fair way to select 2 team captains. Regarding marching; how can you conceivably teach young men to perform the more difficult 'synchronized stepping', if they can t simply march in unison? Regarding the canceled practices; I am a volunteer. I try to schedule my time to be available, but I am also a full-time student in college, and likely I was taking an exam, or labs, or possibly on a job interview. I have unsuccessfully attempted, on several occasions, to get help from parents so that we don't miss practices. But since parents at this academy rarely get involved, this is not an option. I make no apologies for trying to do my part in giving our boys a sense of belonging. So, instead of throwing rocks and running, maybe you should consider becoming a part of the SOLUTION, and not part of the PROBLEM Tony

Posted March 8, 2011

I must agree that parents have said some correct things about this school. But it all boils down to Poor Leadership .. If the Leadership is poor how can the Teachers be effective in the class room...My opinion is this if you choose to enroll your child ask lots of questions regarding the leadership and make sure that person is up to date on current events in the school system and let them provide you in writting reports and research of what they have done since taking leadership of the school ...At the end of the day its about your child and the importance of their Education

Posted March 7, 2011

Palm Harbor Academy has been a great school for my son. Palm Harbor Academy has given my son opportunities that he has not had at other schools. My son participates in FCAT Saturdays, a 3-hour time that focuses on studying/preparing for the FCAT, and the choir. Besides having the opportunity to participate in school programs and functions, my son has gone on at least four educational field trips this year including the Ponce Inlet lighthouse, the Fountain of Youth, and a performance at the Bethune Cookman University Performing Arts Center. I agree that parent participation and involvement has been an issue. There are plenty of opportunities for parents to participate in the education of their students as well is in the the progression of the school.

Posted March 7, 2011

Palm Harbor Academy is a new school in our community and like any school in this area parents have their opinion on how well the teachers perform and the overall greatness of the school environment. From viewing the reviews of this school it delights me to know that there are only two parents that felt the need to post a negative review, I think that says a lot about the school. My child has participated in the school's science fair and she brings math work home daily. My child is in both the computer and art club. If you ask me Palm Harbor is doing a great job in specializing in Math, Science, and the Arts. I'm sure as time progress so will the school, try it for your self....

Posted March 4, 2011

Palm Harbor Academy is an up and coming educational institution. Like any new venture, success is measured in small steps. One thing I do not see after two years of being involved in the school is parental participation. Yet, parents want to sit back and complain about the teaching staff. In all honesty, these teachers spend more time trying to instruct your kids in simple rules of conduct, rules that should have been taught at home. So give these teachers a break. if you train your children at home, then possibly, teachers can spend more quality time doing what they were trained to do; educating your kids. in fact, if you would just show up from time to time, that alone would be a tremendous help. Get involved to the extent that your schedule allows, but DO get involved. If you are not willing to get involved in your child's education, then at the very least, quit criticizing those who probably spend more time with your kids than you do!

Posted March 2, 2011

I just visited this school for my children and my neighbor went with me. I found it to be clean and neat, lunch was being served and it smelled DELICIOUS. The students were extremely well behaved, it was almost too much like the stepford wives! That or Catholic school. That being said what's wrong with that? I have a feeling that these two last reviews were either by two parents or one entering twice. I do see they have a field trip planned and I witnessed little ones having lessons for singing all of which I can say happens at public schools here. I'm still intrigued. Since we will be some of the few white students in the school, I spoke with the admissions person and still feel comfortable. I'll be shadowing with my children soon! Wish me well.

Posted March 1, 2011

I have to agree with the other review of this school. I had my son go to this school because they make it sound like such an excellent school. Right now my son is suppose to be in Step Team and they hardly ever have any practice. When they do have pratice there not doing anything but playing simon says or marching. My son started the school year on the A, B honor roll and now he's getting much lower grades. Last marking period he got a D. He has never had a D. They don't even have a school nurse if your child gets sick. There luches are terrible. My son will not be going to this school next year. I do not recommend anyone to enroll there child at this school.

Posted February 25, 2011

My son has been attending this school since August 2010. My review for this school is very poor. The school promised various activities and programs, they claim to be a performing arts school, I have never seen a recital, they say they specialize in math and science, and I have not seen that in thier curiculum. The staff is ver unproffessional, the buses are always breaking down, and when they are working they run very late, which makes it hard for a parent that has to be at work on time. My son's grades has suffered since attending this school. Someone actually warned me about this school before I actually enrolled my child,they also claimed their childrens grades went from A's and B's to C's and D's. I chose to enroll my son regardless, because every child is different. I chose to give this school Palm Harbour Academy a chance with my childs education, and it was the biggest mistake I ever made regarding my childs education. I would not recomend this school to anyone.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

16 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "F".
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2010-2011.
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2009-2010.
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2008-2009.

Asian 0% 3%

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

95 Old Kings Rd N