Sutherland Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 562 students

Posted April 10, 2014

We moved from Minnesota almost two years ago and everyone we talked to said we had to send our kids to Sutherland Elementary in Palm Harbor. We were new to Florida and the area and the front desk was so helpful getting us situated into a new school. Our girls were young and a little nervous and all the staff and their teachers were so good about making sure they were welcomed. Now after two years, our girls just love Sutherland. From the staff, teachers and the PTA, it is an excellent school. We look forward to another school year and hope that Sutherland can win the Great Schools prize so they can continue to strive for excellence for all kids.

Posted February 24, 2014

Amazing school with fabulous teachers. My son looks forward to going to school daily and does not like when their is no school. Sutherland offers a safe, secure and fun learning environment for our children. Sutherland is a public school with a private school setting as it is not over populated. The school operates on high standards, good morals and ethics. They encourage good behavior, respect for others and strong values. We are very pleased with Sutherland Elementary. Thank you!!! Steven and Tracy Pratt

Posted August 31, 2013

This is the WORST principal that I have ever encountered. Her level of professionalism is disgusting. After reading the other reviews, it seems like the new principal, Mrs. Kristi Cantu, has really taken Sutherland Elementary School from a great place to an extremely unprofessional & unorganized place. I think they have some good teachers, however, I haven't met many of them. Hopefully, they will keep this school decent, because the admistrators are horrible! My children will not be attending this school, once the year ends. If you are looking for an incompetent Principal, and support staff of "employees-aides/secretaries/extra helpers", this is your school. Hopefully the other Palm Harbor Elementary Schools will be better. If not, we will be hitting the lottery for a charter/fundamental school. It's too bad, because I was really excited to attend this school from what I read about it online. Once we got there, I was in disbelief that they were as rude, unprofessional and unorganized as they were. If you have a choice, don't send your child/children to Sutherland Elementary School in Palm Harbor. HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted June 23, 2012

I have two daughters that have gone to Sutherland for the last three years and my experience there was horrible. As a single father with primary custody my legal rights were violated on a regular basis. I was treated rudely and with disrespect constantly. The office staff including the Principle had such a callous disregard for the rights of a father that they regularly released my daughter to my ex-wife without notifying me when the court orders on file and my instructions as the parent of record with decision making authority specifically stated that they should not. My youngest daughter s 2nd and 3rd grade teachers were abusive to her and made her life miserable. As an example, the teacher took a show and tell object from my daughter claiming she had stolen it from another student calling her a thief. I had just unwrapped this item that morning and placed it in her bag. The teacher gave my daughter s item to the other student and refused to return it. Go somewhere else if you can, especially if you are a single father.

Posted August 20, 2008

This is our 3rd year at Sutherland and absolutely love it. From Mrs. Cromwell to the teachers to the volunteers and PTA. I am excited to have my other child start Sutherland in 2 yrs. We have heard so many nightmares of other schools and so far Mrs. Cromwell and the rest of the staff always make me feel happy to be there. Thank you!

Posted October 4, 2007

My daughter has been attending Sutherland since kindergarten. She is now in 3rd grade. She is excelling with all of her studies. I think that Ms. Cromwell is doing a fine job. She is always smiling. I can not imagine how hard it must be to be 'in charge' of some many teachers and children. I think that the people that are making negative comments about her should think about how hard it must be to do her job My daughter loves Sutherland, all of her previous and current teachers and Ms. Crommwel.

Posted September 19, 2007

I have a child in 5th grade at this school and have seen a steady decline in the last 2 years. Communication is really lacking. The Principal has been there 2 years now and still has no clue who I am or my child's name. It use to be so warm and welcoming there, now...eveyone seems very cold and unhappy. I am glad this is my last year, how very sad for it to end this way.

Posted September 15, 2007

I have had four children in and out of Sutherland for over the last 14 years. I am very sad to say that it has really gone down hill in the last few years. The teachers for the most part are the same and most of them are wonderful. Adminstration has changed and not for the better. PTA...we all have our own opinions of that...but it seems they need some serious help, I will leave it at that.

Posted August 23, 2007

An excellent school! I have 3 children in there, and all are doing great. The worlds best PTA too!

Posted August 2, 2007

Sutherland has a high quality staff known for using best practices in all subject areas. The music and art programs are an important part of the school. All students are able to participate in holiday programs/special events.

Posted March 13, 2007

Both of my children attended Sutherland from K-5 and have gone on to become successful MEGSSS/IMAST middle-schoolers! The teacher's are firm but always fair, communicate well & really care about developing well-rounded students. Their gifted program is also top notch!

Posted December 11, 2006

Sutherland was a great school until this year when they had some personnel changes. The principal does not address problems or questions in a timely manner. The teachers are expecting to much from the children as far as homework. Also they have had guest speakers on issues that I felt should have been cleared thru parents before the children heard what they had to say.

Posted November 3, 2004

Sutherland elementary school is a wonderful school, my daughter has learned so much in her first few months of kindergarten!

Posted July 17, 2004

My daughter has attended Sutherland School since she was in kindergarten, this fall she will begin the 5th grade. The teachers and principal have all been tops in academics while being dedicated to every learning aspect of which my daughter needed to excel. Thank you all for your contribution in preparing our daughter in many different ways to be sucessful and happy. A special thank you to Mrs. Northsworthy for being the exemplary teacher and mentor with such exuberance toward education that it was instilled in our daughter from her first days in school till now, and we think for always!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

81 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

99 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

99 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

96 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

101 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3150 North Belcher Road