631 students|Pinellas

Bad
Good

I would be a great school for normal kids. This school is not for kids need special helps. They mess up my son IEP. I try to make them fix this. I sent email to my son's teacher, she did not reply me. I tried to meet with the principle (made many phone calls, went to the school office). The principle did not want to meet me. They just gave me un ireresponsible answer that my son already transfer to another school, I need to contact the new school. Of course I talk to the new school about the mistakes in the IEP that my son is good at math, he should be in regular class not special class. This is what Sutherland told me at the IEP meeting, I agreed and signed. But in their report they put my son in special class with all subjects. I talked to the principle on the phone, she told me the teacher test my son and give him a fail in his math test. I ask for the report card. In the report card my son 's math was excellent . And the principle just refuse to see me. They just do not care to fix their mistakes. Be careful when you send your kids to this school. If your kids is normal, this school is great, but if your kids need special help. Do not come hrere, they don't have special class. It was just so sad and disspointed how the public school staff treat their students and family. They do not care and don't want to get involve when problem happens. Not mention the front desk staffs are old and clumsy. They slow and mess up your documents when they made copy. They did not want to copy and put in your son's profile when you ask them to. They keep run around and ask why should I make coppy of these and when they stop cheat chat to another person on their asking way. You was late for your appointment, you ask them many times,"can you make copy?" They said they need to find the remove staple. It was just a mess with old clumsy front desk staff. Not mention that they are not friendly. The teacher is good,but not responsible. Again like I said, when mistakes were made by school, they don't admit it, don't want to fix it,, they tried to put responsible to another school. They don't return your phone calls unless you have to call every day, many times a day,. Don't wish to meet with the principle or teacher. They do not have time to solve the problems they have created. So sad, so dispointed. You can agree with me or not, up to you, I just share my experience here.GOODLUCK

my child attended VPK at this school. it has been the worst experience ever. the teachers have a lot of negative opinions, but offer no help. you get a sense of negativity when you enter the classroom. all of the other parents in her class have nothing positive to say about the current teachers. my child will not be returning next year

Coming from MIami - Dade public school system, I have nothing but great things to say about this school! Organized, friendly staff, great teachers who love what they do. I am so happy and my son loves it!

We have had our older daughter at Sutherland since Kindergarten, and this year she started fourth grade. We are extremely disappointed and frustrated with this school. I've said from the start, they run this school like a military school. Kindergarten was tough. I witnessed, first hand, the teacher yelling at or humiliating kids in front of their peers. I volunteered many times that first year, and it broke my heart to see the little red faces with down cast eyes because they forgot to bring something back to school or did something incorrectly. In addition, while cutting out shapes at a table that was between four classrooms, I listened to a teacher berate another student (kindergarten) in front of the class, call in the guidance counselor and say, "I just don't know what to do with him!" while he cried. When I went my daughters teacher about her yelling, I was met with a very defensive attitude. I then went to Mrs. Cantu about it, and as the other reviews say, she did nothing. She actually said that if you were to line up 20 teachers in a room, you would have 20 different styles of teaching. Didn't realize that yelling was a style of teaching. It's true, people are rude and unfriendly there. The kids walk around looking sad and unhappy. The ladies that run the lunch room yell at the kids too. Fast forward to 4th - got the same problem with this teacher. Told my daughters class the first week of school, that she just LOVES to embarrass students and send them to the kindergarten room if they don't listen. I could go on and on. Yes, there are some really good teachers there. Unfortunately that doesn't make up for the constant, nagging negativity that hangs in the air. We aren't sure what we are going to do - we have two there now, and I'm ready to pull them both out. I've had it.

This is the WORST principal that I have ever encountered. Her level of professionalism is disgusting. After reading the other reviews, it seems like the new principal, Mrs. Kristi Cantu, has really taken Sutherland Elementary School from a great place to an extremely unprofessional & unorganized place. I think they have some good teachers, however, I haven't met many of them. Hopefully, they will keep this school decent, because the administrators are horrible! My children will not be attending this school, once the year ends. If you are looking for an incompetent Principal, and support staff of "employees-aides/secretaries/extra helpers", this is your school. Hopefully the other Palm Harbor Elementary Schools will be better. If not, we will be hitting the lottery for a charter/fundamental school. It's too bad, because I was really excited to attend this school from what I read about it online. Once we got there, I was in disbelief that they were as rude, unprofessional and unorganized as they were. If you have a choice, don't send your child/children to Sutherland Elementary School in Palm Harbor. HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This school is wonder but WATCH OUT!! Kindergarten is difficult for both the parent and child. My son was assigned to a teacher who had the reputation of being one of the best because she was creative. She was creative but in my personal option she was completely rude, offensive and unprofessional. My son attended preschool prior to attending Sutherland so he was bored in kindergarten. He didn t want to complete the work because he said he already knew the information. She said to me he looks at me as if he is ON DRUGS . YES SHE SAID THAT. I called and spoke to Mr. Berry he couldn t believe what was said. I even spoke to her the next day. She said maybe that was a poor choice of words but followed that comment with, but what would you call this face. It took all I had not to SCREAM at her in front of her class. I said you call that spacing out, uninterested anything but what you don t say is he looks at me as if he is ON DRUGS!! If your child has any issues understand that she will talk about your child with the classroom mom.

We moved from Minnesota almost two years ago and everyone we talked to said we had to send our kids to Sutherland Elementary in Palm Harbor. We were new to Florida and the area and the front desk was so helpful getting us situated into a new school. Our girls were young and a little nervous and all the staff and their teachers were so good about making sure they were welcomed. Now after two years, our girls just love Sutherland. From the staff, teachers and the PTA, it is an excellent school. We look forward to another school year and hope that Sutherland can win the Great Schools prize so they can continue to strive for excellence for all kids.

Amazing school with fabulous teachers. My son looks forward to going to school daily and does not like when their is no school. Sutherland offers a safe, secure and fun learning environment for our children. Sutherland is a public school with a private school setting as it is not over populated. The school operates on high standards, good morals and ethics. They encourage good behavior, respect for others and strong values. We are very pleased with Sutherland Elementary. Thank you!!! Steven and Tracy Pratt

This is the WORST principal that I have ever encountered. Her level of professionalism is disgusting. After reading the other reviews, it seems like the new principal, Mrs. Kristi Cantu, has really taken Sutherland Elementary School from a great place to an extremely unprofessional & unorganized place. I think they have some good teachers, however, I haven't met many of them. Hopefully, they will keep this school decent, because the admistrators are horrible! My children will not be attending this school, once the year ends. If you are looking for an incompetent Principal, and support staff of "employees-aides/secretaries/extra helpers", this is your school. Hopefully the other Palm Harbor Elementary Schools will be better. If not, we will be hitting the lottery for a charter/fundamental school. It's too bad, because I was really excited to attend this school from what I read about it online. Once we got there, I was in disbelief that they were as rude, unprofessional and unorganized as they were. If you have a choice, don't send your child/children to Sutherland Elementary School in Palm Harbor. HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have two daughters that have gone to Sutherland for the last three years and my experience there was horrible. As a single father with primary custody my legal rights were violated on a regular basis. I was treated rudely and with disrespect constantly. The office staff including the Principle had such a callous disregard for the rights of a father that they regularly released my daughter to my ex-wife without notifying me when the court orders on file and my instructions as the parent of record with decision making authority specifically stated that they should not. My youngest daughter s 2nd and 3rd grade teachers were abusive to her and made her life miserable. As an example, the teacher took a show and tell object from my daughter claiming she had stolen it from another student calling her a thief. I had just unwrapped this item that morning and placed it in her bag. The teacher gave my daughter s item to the other student and refused to return it. Go somewhere else if you can, especially if you are a single father.

Last modified Sutherland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.