PK-2|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Our experience at this school left us heartbroken. If you are a parent of a child with special needs, we do not recommend this school. We trusted this school based on our interview with the principle/owner. It's also an approved McKay Scholarship school. Our son has Agenesis of the corpus Callosum, ADHD, and Autism. He did well academically. However, he still needed accomodations, compassion and understanding. This school refused to make accomodations. They often punished him for many things that related to his disability. They took recess away often even with the knowledge that he had ADHD absolutely ignoring his needs. Our son was afraid to eat his snacks out of his lunch box and even his bottled water. He started having extreme anxiety and panic attacks when he came home. We realized that we clearly had conflicting philosophies on how to treat children. We felt helpless and completely misled by this school. We made several unsuccessful attempts to try and come to an understanding. The lack of empathy and compassion from the principle/owner of this school was so disappointing. Even though we are heartbroken that we selected the wrong school, we have learned a lot about our son's rights, and we do not want this to happen to future children with special needs which is why we wrote this review.

I was sad to have to take my daughter out of this school. The staff is fantastic, they taught her so much and she tells me she misses it every day. Leila says hi! We love you guys

My daughter attended New Horizons for the three year old program and VPK. She truly enjoyed going to school there and I would highly recommend New Horizons as a school. The staff and administration were very supportive during her attendance.

So it's a definite shame that this review comes based on the director. Definitely not a people person or a person who deserves the title. Came for a tour loved the school and got good vibes from the would be teacher of my child. Yet kept having this knawing feeling and issue with the director who was doing the tour...any questions asked seemed to be an issue. Apparently didnt even receive the full tour from her, the owner stepped in to finish when additional questions arose. Yet was informed any additional questions to ask the front desk lady in reference to sign up forms etc... so returned completely prepared to enroll my child yet again encountered push back with questions and concerns I had... instead of just simply answering them the director had an attitude and tone extremely unprofessional. When asked multiple times is there a problem, do we have a problem and why your tone is the as such...it only continued... Resulting in me walking out and their loss of my business... I refuse to have to deal with that on a regular basis of a paying customer. Only to then come here and read I'm not the only one with issues with this director... Shame a decent looking school has her to represent it.

I absolutely love NHCDS! My son is finishing his VPK year, and it has been amazing. NHCD has the best staff/teachers and everyone is always friendly and welcoming. My son will continue Kindergarten next year at NHCDS.

My son has attended this school since he was 2 years old...the teachers are very dedicated and provide a family like environment. However, the Director/Owner should not be operating a school like this..she has absolutely NO people skills. My son is now 9 yrs old and is in 3rd grade at this school, but his father and I are no longer together and do not communicate. My son lives with his dad. At the 'Muffins with Mom' event today, I was told that the Dad had priority to attend the event, the director said she asked the child which parent he preferred attend the event!! This is a MOM's Day event!! My son has special needs..it's incredible that I have been kept from seeing my son this weekend because of this person. I would NOT recommend keeping your child at this school for elementary grade level classes. The preschool however has an awesome director and it's very well run. The Director/Owner is extremely rude towards others and this sets a very bad example for the children who are often present.

NHCDS is a solid early education oasis. The classes are small, the teachers are passionate and committed. This allows for a model of individualized attention to students. The curriculum is vibrant and creative. Something we like that may be easy to overlook is that the school understands the importance of outside time and they have a fitness instructor. The elementary model has a pretty good amount of ongoing homework and requires parent-involvement and discipline (and this is as it should be!). The one shortcoming seen is that although parents provide the meals, the school-provided snacks could use an upgrade. They give nutritionally-empty, high-salt, processed carbs such as pretzels, goldfish, chex mix. Growing bodies and minds are better suited to more responsible choices, especially when food habits are developing. Since the school is so "smart" in other ways, we suspect this is a cost-saving/time-saving decision at the expense of better options. Otherwise, we give the school high marks and pleased with our decision to send our son here in this critically-important time of life. He loves the school experience and the teachers and that makes all the difference.

We are very pleased with the level of partnership between teachers, administrators, and families at this school. Our son is thriving and his individual needs clearly matter. There is a mix of well-thought educational philosophies applied. As both a Master's level educator and a parent, I highly recommend New Horizons.

My son is in 2nd grade at New Horizons County Day School. He has been there since Kindergarten. The teachers there have been kind, loving and firm. Because of this he his thriving and excelling in his education. The individual attention that he has received from the teachers and principle is very appreciated. The playground is huge, completely shaded, has a beautiful butterfly garden and even out outdoor classroom. I only wish I had know about this program for my other two children, they attended public and charter schools. If you are looking for the perfect environment for your son/daughter to receive their education, you have found it.

NHCDS is a place with children laughing, learning and playing. Children have a chance to be children, happy and safe. We have a great group of Elementary students who welcome new enrolled students with smiles. NHCDS has a strong academic base with added features of music and the arts. Join us, visit us, sign up for Summer Camp or our programs for the fall of 2014!

Last modified New Horizons Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-2