No rating

Palm Harbor Montessori Academy

Private | PK-8 | 210 students

We are best known for academic excellence.

Living in Palm Harbor

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $135,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,030.

Posted June 4, 2014

I think that Palm Harbor Montessori is a great school for all children you learn at your own pace and they have many great experiences that no other school will have

Posted February 6, 2014

I have no reservation fully recommending this school to anyone who wants their child to flourish academically and socially. I have three children enrolled and have been with the school for seven years. The classroom environment allows the students to engage in learning in a respectful fashion. The child is encouraged to manage their time, work independently and in small groups, and to develop their problem solving skills on a daily basis. The staff is so helpful and always let me know how my children are doing in the classroom. It is a warm environment, and there is a strong focus upon the whole child. The school is close to our hearts. My children feel at home there. I really just can't say enough.

Posted January 6, 2014

My child goes to this school for 5 years now. I could not possibly express my happiness and how thankful I am to the staff . It if the most friendly and warm and helpful place I can imagine . I looked at 40 or more schools before I decided with no questions asked that this is the one where she needs to be . For the passed 5 years I have not one single complain about the staff or the school . Love it and %100 happy . Looking forward to the next safe and happy years . Not to mansion the quality education my child is getting here .

Posted December 30, 2013

My son has been attending Palm Harbor Montessori Academy since he was very little. He is now in middle school and he has turned out to be a sweet and caring young man. The teachers/staff truly care about each individual child.

Posted December 30, 2013

I know 8 children who have attended and graduated from PHMA. 3 of my own, plus one nephew (still attending), 2 of my neighbors children, plus my doctors 2 children. All 8 children gained a wonderful desire to learn, developed good academic habits, and easily adapted to the rigors of High School. Most of them went on to higher education in Colleges and Universities. ( I still see these parents and children). I feel they were able to achieve success at higher education levels because of the basics they learned at PHMA; not just the ABC's of education but a life long desire for learning , and most important of all, learning how to think. I would recommend PHMA to anyone with a long range view of their childs educational development.

Posted December 28, 2013

P.H.M.A. has been one of the greatest blessings in my life. I feel so lucky to have had such a wonderful educational experience! I began attending the school at age 5 and I graduated from 8th grade. As a child, I was nurtured, listened to and taken care of so well. As an adolescent, I was granted independence, supported in my free thinking and intellectually stimulated. Above all, I was so happy at school. I had wonderful teachers and peers and I got to learn and grow in a supportive environment that facilitated my growth in so many dynamic ways. I am now successful to my wildest dreams. More importantly then the financial abundance I enjoy, I am happy. And this school helped build my foundation for this success. Thank you P.H.M.A.

Posted December 28, 2013

Good Montessori teachers do their own music and art DAILY. They do not have to wait for someone else to come into the room. That is like saying, "oh you can only be an artist when Miss so and so is here." Each classroom has it's very own art area that is available to the students every day. It is just lovely!

Posted December 28, 2013

We are new to this school and I cannot begin to explain how happy we are. We have three children in the school and all three are so happy. They have so much self confidence and are thriving. I am looking forward to many more years ahead with PHMA! Keep up the good work!

Posted December 23, 2013

The school lacks vision and leadership and is very very pricey. There is no way the current reviews are all written by parents in the same day?? We pulled our child from this school last year and I feel obligated to write a review. There is no music, no art and no Spanish and little to no technology. The school does not have adequate wifi connections. Fields trips cost extra money and rarely happen. Communication from administration is virtually non existent. Also, the school accepts a lot of students with discipline problems (even though they won't tell you that). Prior to enrolling your child spend AT LEAST a day in the school to really understand it. Ask for records of academic growth for students and about the number of students who leave the school and why. Talk with parents who pulled their child.

Posted December 22, 2013

Palm Harbor Montessori Academy's Middle School is called "New Middle School" because they are ahead of the times, as far as the adolescents' true needs are concerned, based on research and on the adolescent experts in the field, AND their alumni results! As a parent of a PHMA alumni, even today I can see how wisely our time and money was invested, because of their confident approach to opportunities at the high school and college level, and especially because at the New Middle School they learned about their own strengths as well as getting practice to push themselves to improvement. They actually become self motivated citizens, which is every parent's wish in this fast-changing world. By looking at the long term achievements of the many alumni from PHMA, it is clear that their longstanding administration and teaching teams are committed not only to the STEM skills, but way ahead of the game, they included the arts, history, and culture, (STEAM!) Middle school is not just a process of loading up on facts, although facts are great. More than that, each student develops and discovers their best possible role within their peer groups, their families, and even in the larger world.

Posted December 22, 2013

I attended PHMA middle school for 3 years and they not only helped me to overcome my reading disability, but also gave me the self confidence i needed to thrive in hight school. The curriculum give students the best foundation for high school by teaching leadership, studious habits and to enjoi learning.

Posted December 21, 2013

The Middle School at Palm Harbor Montessori is awesome. My grandson attends and has had a wonderful experience. He loves school, which is unusual at his age. His academics are challenging and he is successful. I am amazed at how his teachers encourage him to do his best. This was the best choice and most positive school experience for him so far. I am also impressed with the professionalism of the entire faculty and administration. The children come first!

Posted December 21, 2013

The middle school at Palm Harbor Montessori has offered my child a solid education, while allowing him the chance to be an individual. Public school was a challenge for him, as he is a very independent young man. In this community, he has thrived academically and socially. He speaks highly of his teachers. He has come up through the elementary program, since 2009. My husband and I are glad that we took a recommendation from a former parent of a student graduating from their program. Thank You for all you ve done for my son!

Posted December 21, 2013

Palm Harbor Montessori Academy is by far one of the best Montessori schools in the area. They strive for excellence which they achieve due to the high quality of their teaching staff and dedication to the true Montessori principles. Being a former Montessori teacher myself, I feel that this school is a great place for any child to learn, thrive, grow and become a beautiful and well rounded student and human being.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 11, 2013

Beware I sent my child here for middle school and it was a revolving door of sub-standard middle school teachers who only lasted a year before the administration there identified it and let them go. This place appears to be fine for pre-school and elementary level children. However, there is a big problem with teaching the fundamentals in middle school. When I pressed the teachers on why my child wasn't learning certain basic things I was rebuffed. Little *real* parent involvement. They'll talk to you alright, but then nothing changes in the classroom. $10,000 / year for what? A daycare? The classrooms don't have enough computers, lab equipment etc. and they are constantly asking parents for donations. Go get a bank loan and improve your school. After having numerous conversations with other parents of middle school children there who felt the same way, I pulled my child out and the level of excellence we are getting at another private school very close by is heads and shoulders above this school. Don't be fooled by glowing reviews posted here. Young kids...maybe. Middle school? Buyer beware.

Posted March 21, 2013

As a grandparent I am amazed at the progress my grandchildren have made since they began at PHMA. They are independent, confident children. Their love for learning is encouraged and they are academically challenged every day. The school is culturally diverse and embraces families of all backgrounds. The teachers are loving and kind and create a structure that allows freedom of choice in the classroom. Thank you PHMA.

Posted March 20, 2013

The teachers, the principal, and entire staff at Palm Harbor Montessori Academy (PHMA) genially care about each individual child. I don't worry about my son when he is at school as I work a demanding full-time job. I know he is in a safe and caring environment. If he went to any other school I wouldn't be able to count on that. PHMA holds camps when regular school isn't in session for the full-time working parent. Children will enjoy the field trips, team sports, before and after care. Parents can sign their child up for activities during after care called "studios". For example: Gymnastics, swimming, art, cooking, karate, dance, chorus, piano, and many more. Swimming lessons and tutoring are available as well. I wish PHMA had a high school!

Posted January 8, 2013

As a teacher I am grateful for the opportunity to teach at Palm Harbor Montessori Academy.Watching the children grow to be independent young people is such an amazing experience. I am their teacher, but I feel like they are teaching me every day. I couldn't have asked for a better place to be!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 20, 2012

I know my daughter is receiving the best education possible at PHMA. I am an avid believer in the Montessori philosophy of learning at your own pace, individual instruction, use of hands on multi-sensory materials, and being responsible for your own learning. PHMA follows the Montessori model to the tee. There is also a fantastic family atmosphere at this school. I would not want my child to be anywhere else.

Posted July 18, 2012

Excellent Teachers! Palm Harbor Montessori Academy offers children an authentic Montessori experience with well trained teachers and a supportive staff. My daughter has been at PHMA since she was 3 years old she will be going into Kindergarten in the fall - we couldn't be happier. My daughter is passionate about many unique and varied topics and PHMA allows her to pursue her interests while integrating math, language, science and geography as well as life skills into her daily activities. How they do it amazes me. It is a beautiful thing to watch a skilled teacher provide one- on-one instruction to children in a classroom with kids aging from 3-6 and each and every one of them is engaged and working. It is something that one has to see to believe.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Christine Varkas
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
  • Creative writing

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook