No rating

Westlake Christian School

Private | K-8 | 310 students

Westlake is known for its academics as a National Blue Ribbon School.

Living in Palm Harbor

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $135,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,030.

Posted Monday, October 20, 2014

The principal doesn't tell the truth and is very condescending. She proclaims that she is a Christian but is far from it. I would never send my children to this school!

Posted May 2, 2014

I am a middle school student at Westlake. It used to be such a drag having to go to my old school, but now at WCS I look forward to seeing my friends and people who care about me. The community at Westlake is very strong and caring. You will form life long friendships with fellow students and create bonds with teachers. Westlake has strong academics, athletics, and a friendly community. I don't look forward to is the last day of eighth grade when we must say goodbye.

Posted June 30, 2013

I was a Westlake for 3 1/2 years and at the start when i came in the middle of 4th grade it was great but as soon as I entered middle school it went down hill. no speretion between advanced and non advanced students, many of the teachers are so boring, almost to small to be a real middle school, no discipline to students, "special treatment" to some students while others at there same level receive none, the whole blue ribbon school thing is just a show they put on, administration is fake and two-faced, overall great elementary school, bad middle school. Trust this review i went to school there, i`m not lying!

Posted June 18, 2013

We have been at Westlake for two years. The administration takes time to work with parents with any concerns. The new principal has always been willing to talk to parents and welcomes ideas, suggestions, comments, and questions. The education and teaching are wonderful! I couldn't be happier with the level of technology available to the teachers and students. I've looked all over and schools, and this school is by far the best one I saw! The parents are very involved in the classrooms and the school in general. Our school feels like our extended family. As you can tell, we are extremely happy with our Westlake experience!

Posted April 26, 2013

Our children have been at WCS for 5 years and they have loved every minute of their experiences. They have had great academic and athletic opportunities -- including some unique activities like Robotics, Concert Band, and plenty of sports. We love Westlake!

Posted April 14, 2013

This is the best school in the area. Look around people and compare -- it does not get better than Westlake Christian!

Posted April 8, 2013

Thanks to the great teachers this school will weather the recent troubles. The school leadership, including both the principal and the vice principal, are/were the problems. Even in the face of the recent issues, the teachers have stayed focused and continued to provide the excellent education the we all love about Westlake. I as a parent am placing my confidence in the board of education's capable hands to see through the mirage that the administration has created and select an outsider with credentials and experience that will sustain the Westlake record of excellence in Christian education. There comes a time when a wholesale change in administration is the healthiest thing for the school. Let's hope the board takes this opportunity to do the necessary housekeeping so the school can recover and proceed into a new school year with a clean slate.

Posted March 28, 2013

When we came to Westlake, one thing that that truly warmed us to the school was the kind heart of the assistant principal. She took time to speak with and show compassion to both our daughter and our son. Because of our time with her, we felt very confident that this school would be a great fit spiritually and academically for our family. Now that we are veterans here, I can testify that Westlake's teachers, staff, and current administration teach Christ and encourage the students to have a biblical world view. Simultaneously, the academics are competitive with Tampa s premier schools at less than half the cost. Westlake is using Best Practices in its teaching methods, and is a front runner in implementing the latest research and technology. It has been a perfect school for our family. If you have a child who loves learning, loves being challenged, and loves Christ, Westlake will become a wonderful place for your child and the rest of your family.

Posted March 5, 2013

This is a great school! We love coming everyday. The parents are awesome, the teachers are exceptional and I can't say enough about our administration - just awesome!

Posted February 6, 2013

We completely agree with the reviewer below, very sad to see this once great school. Current administration is dictatorship, they care nothing for the families. Everything is for a fake, false show, it is all egos and greed .Do not let the Blue Ribbon Award fool you this school has major issues going on hidden behind the Blue ribbon

Posted January 8, 2013

We've been at Westlake for several years and are sorry to say that the school has declined. There's lots of emphasis on marketing, but not as much on education. Teachers never used to leave, and now there are teachers leaving every year. Our teacher left in the middle of the year and was replaced by a young lady right out of college. She's quite nice, but I don't pay private school tuition to get a rookie teacher. Tuition goes up every single year, and there have been signficiant new fees added the last couple of years. It seems like many of the new students who have been let in are behind and slow down the class. Our class is super-crowded with more students than are legally allowed in the public schools. Some of our textbooks are ancient, which never used to happen at Westlake. The Blue Ribbon award is nice, but I'm told it's really about having enough kids who do well on standardized tests. There are certainly some excellent teachers, and lots of good families, but Westlake isn't what it used to be and seems to be focused now on profit above quality. We're looking hard at fundamental or charter school.

Posted September 5, 2012

My son has been at Westlake for 4 years and it has been a blessing. I agree that the teachers, principal and staff are all very caring. The Stars and Comets before and after care that is on the premises is also a great component. During the summer, the camp is open and have many activities and trips. It is really one stop shopping! They have it all. My son LOVES Westlake and this school is the only reason that keeps me from moving out of the area, despite my long commute to work in Tampa. I feel the rich academic environment and the core Christian values sets a wonderful foundation for children.

Posted July 29, 2012

Our daughter started at Westlake last year in kindergarten and it was the best decision we have ever made for her and our family this school in every way by far exceed our expectations time and time again. ( which is not an easy thing to do when it comes to our children). The education level is superb and has blown us away, and the staff is great beyond words. This private school has been blessed with the nicest families and I could not recommend this school more!!!

Posted May 25, 2012

I am a middle school student at Westlake. I love our classes and our teachers. They care about me and come to my games and help me do my best.

Posted January 10, 2012

the school is great until middle school then it is bad and i went there for 5yrs

Posted January 3, 2012

My son attended Westlake briefly at the beginning of 2nd grade. The teachers and staff were nice at first but unable to handle any behavior that was out of their norm, otherwise known as the "Westlake Way. After 6 weeks I removed my son from Westlake because of their inability to provide him an education. My son was sent to the office 6+ times and sent home because they could not handle his emotional state. I was simply told they do not have the services. I question their expertise at educating if they are only able to teach children when they behave accordingly. I also question their vision and Christian values to only serve certain students and not help others who need it most. I would not recommend this school to a parent with a child who has any social and/or behavior concerns whatsoever. If your child does not conform they will simply be left behind. It was a very disappointing and painful experience for my family.

Posted December 4, 2011

A good school for elementary students but with a horrible principal that should be fired.

Posted November 8, 2011

Westlake Christian School has been a great fit for our family. We're impressed with the advanced academics and technology, the high-level parent involvement, and the Christ-centered environment. I highly recommend Westlake to any family who wants to be involved in their children's education and see them soar to reach their God-given potential!

Posted March 2, 2011

My child has been at Westlake for 2 years now. Our kindergarten teacher always exceeded 100% in all that she did in class. You can really see how good a school is by looking at the students and factulty and academic success. All teachers hired are beyond exceptional. When you walk in, the students will smile and greet you. The faculty and staff are always joyful. Many caring parents are there daily volunteering. The principal can be seen at classroom events or greeting children as they walk into school. Also, the test scores of the students at Westlake are phenomenal! Last year, 70% of the 7th graders qualified for the prestigious Duke University Talent Identification Program. We currently have regional science fair winners from our school going on to the Florida State Science Fair. The school also has so many before and after school activities, from athletics to music. There is even a Chinese language and culture class offered. Hands down, this is a premier school in Pinellas County, and if you're looking for the best school, this is it!!!

Posted February 21, 2011

We have been so very pleased with our first two years at Westlake Christian School. We were looking for a school with strong academics, a variety of enrichment and athletic offerings,a Christian foundation, and a family atmosphere. We found it! How many principals greet each child by name every morning as they enter the school? Mr. Pucci does! Where else would at least a dozen moms and dads help out a family in need whether it's due to an illness or other unexpected emergency? Westlake parents do! We highly recommend that you stop by and say hello. We're confident you'll want to stay!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • SACS/AdvancEd Accreditation (2014)
  • National Blue Ribbon School (2012)
  • Duke Talent Identification Program (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Robotics club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Music room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

School start time
  • 8:30
School end time
  • 3:00
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Jayanne K. Roggenbaum
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Religious
  • Science
  • Technology
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher

• Improv
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Book/reading club
  • Chess club
  • Community service
  • Drama club
  • Foreign language and culture club
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Robotics club
  • Student council/government

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom