Posted November 25, 2013
Southwood is a Great school. It has great teachers. it also great kids and it also has great parents!

Posted October 24, 2013
Our children's middle school is SOUTHWOOD MIDDLE SCHOOL, in Palmetto Bay, FL. From our oldest to our youngest, we've been attending Southwood over the past five years. We like Southwood and havn't had any negative experiences with the students, teachers or administration. There's a lot of parental involvement and the teachers are always appreciative when a parent is able to volunteer for the events they do. Southwood is unique in that, it's a community school as well as a magnet school. We've only been involved in the magnets, more specifically the art and music magnets. The Music magnet is like no other. Speaking only from our experience, the Symphonic & Jazz bands under the direction of Ms. Calle are incredible & always bring home superior ratings at competition. Her students quickly learn to listen, give her & each other respect. Our daughter was in Art, with Ms. McKinley & Ms.Berse. She now attends Coral Reef High School's Art magnet- need I say more? Our youngest started this year in orchestra under the direction of Ms.Burris & has learned so much in the 2 short months he's been in school! If you need a different school, you've got my vote for Southwood. R. Adams, Cutler Bay

Posted June 02, 2013
I've been to this school, and I only have GREAT things to say about it. I transferred , and I loved it. The teachers are more than helpful but amazing! The staff members are super sweet and custodians are constantly doing their job. Unlike other schools in the area, Southwood's facility is extremely clean. Trust me, I've been to 4 middle schools, and I can tell you it has been the cleaniest so far. Yes, the bathrooms might be a little stinky at times, but that's EVERY MIDDLE SCHOOL GUYS!!! If you are an incoming 6th grader, I would suggest though that you really choose your magnet strand wisely. You can switch it after the school years over, but if I were you I would choose one in the beginning that will suit you best. The best strands, in my opinion, are drama, dance, photography, and art . Not many people in these strands switch out to another strand. If you like to play an instrument and sing Italian arias though, you should go into chorus and orchestra and band. Lastly, Southwood is home of the superstars. Who can resist being a superstar:)

Posted September 20, 2012
JETT RIDER JETT RIDER JETT RIDER JETT RIDER JETT RIDER JETT RIDER JETT RIDER JETT

Posted July 18, 2012
My son just finished his first year at Southwood, and he had a fabulous experience. The band program is top notch, and all his teachers were excellent. I felt that the administrators quickly and appropriately dealt with any issues that occurred in the school.

Southwood Middle School 1

Posted January 13, 2012
Today, approximately 60 students were left behind for a field trip because there were not enough buses. GOOD PLANNING !

Southwood Middle School 1

Posted September 15, 2010
My 13 y/o child attends Southwood Middle School in Palmetto Bay. At present, she has a valid I.E.P. (Individualized Education Plan) calling for services in Language Arts, Math and Science for her Specific Learning Disability. I discovered during this evenings open house that Southwood Middle opted to placed my daughter in a combined class with 7th and 8th graders, classes that would clearly under normal circumstances be following different curriculums. Each class has from 19-23 students, very large by ESE standards considering my daughter IEP calls for smaller class size. Southwood is asking teachers to do the impossible, teach a large classroom full of children with varying learning disabilities, from two different books, two different curriculums, in the same short period. Another important issue is that 12 and 13 year old girls are sitting in the same class with 8th grade boys, in some cases as old as 14 or 15.

Posted September 12, 2010
I went to southwood in 6-7 grade, unfortunately, i had to move out. There is a Lot of people complaining about this school, but as a student, i know what Southwood really is like. #1: Teachers DO care. There could be 1 in 20 teachers that doesnt, but C'mon, every school has that! #2: Lunch is not that bad! #3: IF YOU ARE BEING BULLIED AND TELL THE PRINCIPAL, OR A COUNSELOUR,THEY *WILL* DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, believe me, i went through that. #4: There is NO alcohol, and there are NO drugs! some kids were smoking outside, and they got EXPELLED, so dont u dare saying the staff does nothing about it. The magnet program is awesome! It is challenging, and the teachers are respectful and nice!!! Only one thing i can complain about, the grossness of the girls bathroom it IS nasty!

Posted July 27, 2010
My child will be entering Southwood Middle School 2010-2011 yr. I have been aquainting myself with the schools administration for registration, class selections etc. for my childs enrollment purposes. The office staff has been considerate, friendly and thoroughly helpful. A schools management is easily revealed by the courtesy and attention a person is given. Southwoods office staff has proved hospitable in every inquiry I have requested with enormous cooperation. I am excited to meet the teachers, I am sure they will be as equally superb.

Posted June 21, 2010
My son loves this school; The band arts program gets a 10 in my book.. My Son will be an 8th grage this year... absolutely excellent school!!!

Southwood Middle School
16301 Southwest 80th Avenue, Palmetto Bay, FL  33157
Last modified Southwood Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southwood Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top