1,735 students|Manatee

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

For an "art" school the facilities are really shabby. Their large theater is smaller than other schools and looks like it has never been finished. I also think that they are so focused on color hair and Halloween make-up all year long that the main classes get left behind and the real education isn't a priority.

This teachers allow students to be creative which in turn makes the students more open and excited to learn.

Manatee School for the Arts is an exceptional school. I am currently enrolled here as an eighth grader. I love the fact that later middle schoolers can take high school classes. Now, onto the meat of the review. The teachers here really love the students and want them to succeed, and will make sure that they do. I can barely even pick my favorite teachers since they are so amazing, all of them. Now, the programs are nice, there are a lot of different classes to take, but if you look at the elective sign ups, a LOT of the classes are dance classes. This school is focused on dance like Manatee High is focused on football. The other departments, Music, Languages, Tae-Kwon-Do, PE, and Art classes are good, but I'd have to say the music, languages and art are the best. I am enrolled in Guitar I, French II, and Drawing II and they are absolutely amazing. The academics are pretty good, as well. I used to have the infamous Ms. Brown for English (she was my absolute favorite teacher) but she found a new career opportunity somewhere else, so now I have a new teacher, Dr. Simon. He teaches English I and English AP, I'm pretty sure. He integrates musical things and cinema into his lessons and it makes English really easy. The areas where this school falls short is Guidance and the other students. I've requested several appointments with them and they never got back to me at all. And the students, that's where it goes down. Cliques are common here, and some students are just downright disrespectful and rude to other people, their opinions, and their interests. I have been mocked several times because of things such as that. Fights are not common here, though, since the administrative staff excels at their job of controlling the kids. The rude kids mostly pick on quieter kids like me. So, to sum it all up, MSA has great opportunities, great teachers (such as Mme. Turner, Mrs. Petrone, Mr. Hudson, Ms. Brown and Mr. Oliva), some rude, clique-y students and decent administration. Overall, I give a 4.

Develops character: Disagree

The staff at our school constantly favour some students more than others. They'll let some get away with anything but suspend others over petty things. I've seem this happen myself.

Certainly isn't as great as it used to be. The school is completely disorganized and plan everything at the very last minute. The guidance pay no attention to anyone but themselves and all the school cares about is having a good reputation. They lack focus of their students and instead put forth more effort towards getting money. The pure honest reason to why I'm rating Manatee School For the Arts "average" is because of the incredible teachers, such as Mr. Barbaro, Mr. Morton, Ms. Brown (who unfortunately no longer teachers there), Madam Turner, and etc. If it weren't for the awesome teachers and amazing friends I have here, I would have transferred a long time ago.

School has really gone down the tubes this year...the staff look miserable. They are constantly arguing about administration and forget trying to see guidance!

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some of the teachers are great while others are disorganized, do not put grades in the parent portal, do not offer any type of feedback on the students' work (including returning tests).

Develops character: Disagree

Again, they talk about this but the teachers and admins do not demonstrate this through their actions. There are students who are clearly more talented that are overlooked in favor of a teacher favorite.

I have had good experiences with some teachers and bad with others. Overall, just average.

Amount of homework: Agree

With so many extras offered at MSA homework is minimal. Classes are 90 minutes long so they can get their work finished in class. Teachers have more time to work one on one with students.

Last modified Manatee School For The Arts is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.