706 students|Broward

Bad
Good

The teachers are caring and hardworking. Administrators work with teachers and parent to solve issues. We are working together to make a difference.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Our administrators have set forth the R.O.A.R. positive behavior program that teaches and rewards students for excellent behavior and citizenship. Our fabulous counselor, Ms. Roach runs the Character Education program where students who exemplify good character traits are rewarded during a monthly celebration. Parents of theses students are invited to sit and enjoy a complimentary breakfast with their child and it is all sponsored by the PTA.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Teachers attend various professional developments to stay abreast of district initiatives and best practice strategies used in the classroom. Teachers plan in weekly teams using interdisciplinary units to ensure students are receiving the best education. Formative exams are used in the classroom as a tool to track student data. The district has implemented the C.A.R.E. to be the B.E.S.T. initiative at all schools. Each class uses Curriculum, Assessment, Remediation, and Enrichment to teach Beyond Expected Student Targets.

Amount of homework: Agree

Teachers use Marzano's Nine High Yield Strategies to guide instruction. Students need ample time to practice skills and strategies learned in the classroom and they do this through Homework.

This school has done a TERRIFIC job with my 7 year old son who has learning disabilities. He has been there now two years and now his sister has started in kindergarten. I truly look forward to see her blossom as every young child should. Every teacher my son has had, has always been easily accessible and friendly. My daughters teacher Ms. Alverez made my daughters first day extremely memorable. Thank you Watkins Elementary, keep up the terrific job you do!! I know it isn't an easy job, BUT YOU ALL MAKE IT LOOK VERY EASY

Watkins is a really good school for my kids. The teachers did their best for the 07-08 scholl year.

My second grader now promoted to third came to Watkins in the 2006-2007 school year from an 'A' school. Since Watkins also obtained an 'A' rating, my expectations were high. Unfortunately I was soon interacting with less than competent teachers, counselors and school staff. As for the principle, she gave the appearance of having a take charge and correct the issue attitude, but in the end there was no resolution. My second grader often didn't receive enough instruction. At times the work didn't appear to be challenging enough and other times the work was too difficult. The Dibbles scores from the beginning of the year declined I feel as a result of the lack of teaching.

I do not think the school assists the children that need extra help. My son is in the second grade and has had difficulties since he started there. I have had numerous Parent/Teacher conferences, mtgs w/ the Vice Principle and Guidance Counselor. They all say they are going to put him in a program and get him some counseling to help but never follow through. They give a ridiculous amount of homework but yet there are no tutors to assist them. Often when my son does his homework in their aftercare program, most of the problems are wrong when he comes home. I think this school is allot of talk and no action. He will not be returning.

I am happy with the way the school is ahndling my 3rd grader who is coming from a gifted program in miami-dade county they are challenging her constantly. I am always informed of new programs and events that will take place at the school. Keep up the good work watkins!!

Last modified Watkins Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.