Charles W Flanagan High School

Public | 9-12 | 2913 students

Posted May 1, 2005

The school is of average quality in terms of academic programs. However, parents are not as involved as they should be. Many girls here get into plenty of fights on many occasions and not enough is done to stop it. Punishment for unruly behavior needs to be reinforced with suspensions and parents being more involved with their kids and showing them the right way to conduct themselves.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 31, 2005

My son graduated from Flanagan last year. I think it is a wonderful school. There is an education there for the kids that want one. Mr. Siflinger was one of the most brilliant teachers I have ever encountered. Yes, it's crowded, but let's not make excuses for our childrens lack of motivation. A lot of kids don't speak English, take ESOL in 9th grade and by 12th grade they are still not acclamated to learning in this country. Sorry, but I don't believe that calls are not returned. They are diligent about everything they do.

Posted December 29, 2004

I have two children who attended this school. I have removed one and will be removing the other next year. This school does not provided proper guidance for its students. When my oldest child was in 9th grade and began failing, I personally went to his guidance counselor for help. What I was told was ' I do not have time to help your child, I have to worry about my graduating Seniors' So this school does not care about you until it is too late. My student was in danger of not graduating this year and was pulled out and now is in a school in Martin County and is getting A's and B's. It's staff all around are wonderful and communicative.

Posted October 20, 2004

This school offeres many extra curricular activities and opportunities to persue certain interests. The school's coure selection is certainly wide ranged. And it's schedule allows students to earn surplus credits.

Posted August 11, 2004

I'm not a parent, but a meer student at Flanagan High School. I absolutely love my school and everything it encompasses! I am aware of the fact that many children have the problem of retaining what they learnt on a block schedule, but there are ways around that; for example I am taking Spanish this year and I didn't want to forget anything over the summer or miss out on the spring session. Therefore I took Spaish 1 and 2 so I can flow from one to the other (doubling up) as if it was one class. In life you can't please everyone and not everyone is going to happy with whatever system you place in the school. Therefore, I stand behind my teachers, prinipal and school leaders in whatever they do to improve my lovely school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 23, 2004

On the contrary... I am not a parent; however, I am a graduate c/o 99 I am very pleased with the education that I received, and the block scheduling had a lot to do with it. In my opinion, the curriculum prepared me for the vigorous years ahead of myself at the university level. I would take 4 classes in the fall and in the spring another set of classes. The way everything was set up is parallel to college life. I enjoyed my years at Flanagan and I do not regret a thing! As for the overpopulating problem I happen to know students that were from Dade County or other parts of Broward. They would use a relatives address' so that it would be possible to attend Flanagan. Not to mention West Pines is a newly developed area and when you build more homes, more families will move in, and where there are families, there are teens ready to attend the high school. Unfortunately the developers and the city of Pembroke Pines did not address the situation properly and the students had to suffer the consequences.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 8, 2004

My child failed the 9th grade, I blame her and the system. One child can not learn anything with 30 plus kids in a class room and only have 4 main courses per week. She had more days off than actually being in school, I wish I could work having as many days off like she did. Something needs to be done, the school system is horrible.

Posted November 30, 2003

Flanagan has the worst academic and arts perceptions. They believe that next year if they implement an all academic course for both semesters, that somehow, miraculously, the students will all pass the FCAT with greater scores than before. I do not agree with the school's decision to take away block scheduling and all arts class. What if someone was pursuing an arts career? The school would have no preparation in any courses to get accepted in a college that requires experience in a subject.

Posted September 9, 2003

I didn't know schools this bad even existed. Every course my child took was a joke. Science class encompassed watching Jurassic Park and the Nutty Professor. English class encompassed watching the film version of classic literature instead of actually reading it. Teachers didn't teach. Counselors didn't help. Most of the staff were completely rude and unhelpful. Teachers would not come to the phone or show up for meetings. Grading is haphazard and arbitrary. Learning is nonexistent. I was horrified and rest assured my student did not return for a second year.

Posted August 27, 2003

the school features 'block' scheduling with only 4 subjects a semester. For example if you have math or a foreign language in the sept-dec block you won't have it again until the following September. This is a poor system if you hope children will retain the information as a building block for the next level.

Posted August 26, 2003

I have had two students go through Flanagan, the principal takes an active interest in the school, she can always be found out on campus amoung the population. Flanagan, faced with being one of the most over crowed schools in the United States did a wonderful job with what they had to work with. The population of our neighborhood grew 50% over a three year period without the addition of any new High Schools. The school had to be split into two different campuses miles apart from each other, yet, Dr. Shaulas (principal) and her staff did wonderful things with what they had to work with. They deserve an 'A' for effort and production. This year a new high school has opened in our district, this should enable Dr. Shaulas to be even more a part of her school only having to deal with one campus.

Posted June 18, 2003

I only can talk about the nineth grade center. I believe the 110 minutes per class was to long and boring. My son didn,t have a good year. I called the conselor 2 or 3 times. She never return my calls.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

677 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

663 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

657 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

747 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

628 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

735 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

350 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 4%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

12800 Taft Street