1,929 students|Broward

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My boys and my girl now in college went to the charter school Pines West campus; I had to relocate to NC. I have nothing but beautiful memories of this school system top of the line teachers and principals my boys will greatly miss this school.

Teachers seem to be passionate about their craft. Tons of homework. Communication system for school could be better.

I have 2 boys in the PPCS family. They stared at FSU, went to West Middle, and are in the high school now. My oldest started in 1st grade and my youngest in Kindergarten. One of my sons has an IEP and very high functioning Autistic and the other is a "regular" kid. The charter schools have been irreplaceable in helping my Autistic son. Dr. Yeckes is the best and so is Ms. Ostendorf at the high school level. I must say that I am extremely involved in my son's education. I meet and speak with ESE regularly throughout the year and am always kept informed as to how he's doing. I feel it is my responsibility to help keep my son on track (even though he's an adult now). I ask him EVERYDAY how school was and what's going on. I am constantly looking at least a year ahead to see what's next academically and then I meet with ESE and plan for it. I also make sure and communicate with all of his teachers on a one-to-one basis every school year. Even though they receive his IEP, I make sure they know what's in it and what to expect from him as a student. Most important .... speak to your child and let them know what provisions he/she has. My son knows what's on his IEP and will ask for what he needs. So basically, awareness and communication between all is the key to success. My son is ready to graduate this year from PPCHS. It will be sad for us to leave such a fantastic group of educators who have given us and continue to give all of the support my son needs. Not to be forgotten, my "regular" son is also very well taken care of. I love the fact that a lot of his friends he's known 4-ever and also that I know them & their parents. His ride has not been without a "glitch" academically, but again, I communicated directly with his counselor and teachers and everything gets worked out. In conclusion, get involved and the Pembroke Pines Charter Schools will not let you down.

Amount of homework: Disagree

This school definitely gives too much homework. My child has been at PPCS since 1st grade and we rarely have gone on any school break period without homework.

My child attended 4th grade at the FSU campus and I agree with the reviews from other parents of children with learning differences (who are able to be mainstreamed) that this charter system fails children who don't fit neatly inside the box they've provided for "typically-devloping" children. General Ed classroom teachers (while 'most' are well-intentioned) are not equipped to help a child that has been identified as needing extra support. If your elementary-aged child has or needs a 504/IEP (without needing a self-contained classroom), my advice is to stick with public schools or use your McKay for a school who can offer your child appropriate support; otherwise, you run the risk of your child (and yourself) being completely frustrated and miserable. We could not be more satisfied with our decision to leave and go back to a public school. Our son is much happier and thriving in a classroom environment where his differences are tolerated and supported. Dr. Yeckes (ESE dept head) deserves 5 stars, but she and her staff simply don't get the support they need from administrators for this system to truly be inclusive for children with disabilities.

My grandchildren attend the East campus elementary program and the West campus Middle School Program. My granddaughter is in kindergarten and reading at a 2nd grade reading level. There is a big emphasis on reading. Administration staff is very friendly and helpful. Principle is caring and fair. Teachers are outstanding. I am not as familiar with the West Campus Middle School but I agree with a previous reviewer that they are very strict regarding ID badges and uniform compliance. As a parent, you do need to be more on top of what is going on at West campus as their communication system needs some improvement.

We just moved back to the United States after being overseas for three years. So far the whole staff at PPCES FSU CAMPUS has been very helpful and understanding with our transition. The teachers reached out to us the first day of school in order to set up a parent teacher meeting. They want us to learn about the curriculum, expectations, standard of conduct, etc. Thanks.

Our son attended the PPCES FSU campus from Kindergarten to 5th grade. He was in the ESE program from start to finish and we could not be happier with his progress. The whole school embraced our child and he has made strides beyond our wildest dreams. Mrs. A. Rodriguez is an AMAZING Teacher. We love the staff, the students, the academics....our list goes on and on. Thank you for everything. We are confident that he is now ready for the next chaper in his life, but know that we will miss you more than you know.

My son has attended Pines charter since kindergarten. I love the family feeling and the professionalism of the staff. He is in the gifted program and has gotten all the support he needs. I recommend Pines charter to any parent who truly cares about their child's education.

As the grandparent of a highschool student at Pines Charter Highschool, I have to say that the Pines Charter School System has failed my grandchild. After being tested and diagnosed with dyslexia, ADD and learning disabilities, my grandchild has not gotten the help that is legally suppose to be given. We have tried to get the proper help since middle school with no success. If your child has any kind of learning disability, the Pines Charter School is not the place for them.

Last modified City Of Pembroke Pines Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.