Somerset Academy

Charter | K-5 | 935 students

Posted May 25, 2010

My son has been at Somerset for 2 years, and he loves it. The teachers, staff and VP are always involved with patient, respect and love. It is a healthy environment for a child to learn and grow.

Posted May 20, 2010

Is the first year in this school and my son loves it, his teacher is so nice and patient. All the staff are very kind, they maintain a high discipline.

Posted May 2, 2010

my children hhave been at somerset for 6 years. love the school, teachers and all the staff. love the fact that somerset academy is an accredited charter school.

Posted April 28, 2010

This was my daughters first year and we love it. The teachers are all active. Ms. Kaye is an amazing administrator who interacts with the students and children well. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted March 13, 2010

I have my kids in the High and Elementary schools...nephews are in Middle as well. My daughter has been there for 5 years and it was the best decision we have ever made. The principal and vps are amazing. They know the kids by name and treat them w respect. They teach them, not only the curriculum, but also how to treat others and have a no-nonsense style. Sure, there is always room for improvement but thats at every school, work, organization...nothing is ever perfect. How can anyone prefer a huge public school where your child is just a number when you can have a school where every child counts as a person and the staff cares for each...I am sure if the staff was not helpful, then it must have been a reaction to how they were being treated...some parents can be rude and offensive.

Posted March 12, 2010

I believe the school has great leadership starting from the principal. The teachers are great and the security in the school is improving. They currently installed cameras all around the school. Which makes me feel safer for my daughter. The school also offers extracurricular activities for all ages. They offer a great Judo program after school plus other sports to all ages.

Posted January 3, 2010

Somerset Academy offers small classrooms, large class sizes, and outdated curriculum to its students. Administration is hard to reach and is not very friendly when you do. Most of the teachers are nice, however there is a constant turnover rate every year leaving only a few veteran teachers. I pulled my son out after two years and am very pleased with the nearby public school.

Posted November 6, 2009

I have been with Somerset Academy since my 9th grader entered 1st grade. All my children are attending and have had great teachers. I am proud of the prestigious SACS Regional Accreditaton Somerset holds. Keep it up!

Posted October 26, 2009

Both my boys go to Somerset and they are both metally stimulated from the criculum as well as the indivdual treatment from their teachers. I appreciate all the efforts from the faculity there

Posted October 24, 2009

I have three children, the oldest now being in middle school. All three have attended Somerset Academy since Pre K 4. The teachers are wonderful and committed and the administration is responsive and caring. Academically, I've witnessed my children soar. I plan on my children all completing high school at Somerset, their home away from home.

Posted October 24, 2009

Great school so far for my kids. I have been a very involved and vocal parent and at Somerset Academy - pembroke pines, it is always open door for me to talk to teachers and the principal. I moved my kids from Private School and have no regrets and have been there 4 years now with my kids.

Posted October 18, 2009

Excellent school! My son's in 2nd grade and has been here since K and he loves it. The people, the academics everything is great.

Posted October 17, 2009

Im a student in middle school and I absolutely love my school. Im in eight grade and have been in somerset since it was brand new and in trailers (I was in kindergarten) so far, I have had my share of great teachers, whom I will never forget. they were kind and pateint, and offered as much help as possible. my school might not be perfect, but they are working on it! they just recently added a new building which is used as a media center, basically a library and a quiet place to study and have presentations, and a seperate cafeteria for high school students.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 16, 2009

My name is Tracy Mahoney, and I have been a teacher a Somerset Academy for six years. I also have my two children enrolled there in pre-k and in first grade. I could have sent my children to any school, but I chose Somerset Academy because of it's wonderful staff and because I know my children are being challenged, as well as, nurtured. We are one big family at Somerset, and we care about each other very much. All the teachers at this school treat the students like their own children. Overall, this school is a wonderful environment to send your child all day, everyday.

Posted October 15, 2009

My children have been at Somerset since they were in Pre-K. I had several good schools to chose from, but I couldn't have picked a better school than Somerset. It is a great, family atmosphere, the academics meet the children's development needs, the teachers are awesome and the administration is caring and supportive. I recommend Somerset Academy in Pembroke Pines to EVERYONE!

Posted October 15, 2009

Absolutely top rate!! I would not put my kids any where else!

Posted October 15, 2009

My son attends Somerset Academy Elementary school and we love it! The teachers and staff are great and there is a good environment for learning which is also very importatn for me. They also do a lot of activities to integrate the families in the school, so you get a chance to know who your kid in relating to.

Posted October 15, 2009

To me this is a great school. I had trusted my 3 kids's education to this one. they learn, the enjoy and it also has a good discipline

Posted October 19, 2007

i was in the first graduating class of somerset in 2006, i had been attending the school since 9th grade since the high school first opened and even though there were so many changes it had to have been the best school i've ever attended the adminstration was unbelievable and keeps getting better
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 23, 2007

Somerset has an excellent curriculum over and above the standards set by the State. The administration and faculty exhibit compassion, professionalism and an ability to communicate effectively with parents. It is definitely a warm and caring environment for the children and their families. I believe this to be one of Somerset's most notable assets.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

179 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

178 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

179 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

150 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

20801 Johnson Street