Somerset Academy

Charter | K-5 | 894 students

Sweep tile

Posted September 13, 2013

As a student myself in my first year of high school I have been attending somerset for 4 years now an I can honestly say it has been the best experience.We are a family. The teachers and staff are phenomenal and I love all my teachers to death and can speak to them about anything. Mr.montero our principle is the best we all love him he's still a high schooler at heart and understands us I mean what other principle is going to do the Harlem shake with the other high schoolers?! As fun as he is he keeps our school in line and tends to each and every student as best as he can be very professional and funny whenever he wants. At somerset there are many clubs and societies you can join which keeps me on my toes and keeps me busy. This selection of clubs allow anyone with any type of interest to be accepted and allowed to do the things they would like. Not to mention our arts conservatory program which although I am not included is spectacular for students who wish to continue their dreams in the arts and become painters, dancers, actors,and musicians. Overall somerset is a spectacular school and I highly reccomend it to any newcomer.

Posted September 12, 2013

My child is new to this school (Kindergarten). I am pulling her out and putting her in the public elementary school. The teachers here are inexperienced and if your child is gifted forget about them being challenged in anyway. My daughter went into this school reading at a first grade level. She's in a class with children who don't know how to read because they place kids at all different levels and do not offer anything extra for advanced students. This is a charter school, which means it is owned by investors. You can tell because the school is not well maintained. All they care about is money, not the kid's educational growth.

Posted August 21, 2013

my kids are new to this school. teachers and staff are really good. welcoming atmosphere. my kids are happy and they are excited.

Posted July 9, 2013

We transferred my son from a private school to Somerset mid Kindergarten year and love it. This school is a small school and has Elementary, Middle School and High School in the same campus. We love the school, the Principal Mr Montero and the school staff and teachers. Great High School program!

Posted February 28, 2013

Our Child was at a Broward County Public Elementary School for Kindergarten and 1st Grade. During this time, we were told our child was above grade level and was doing great, however we suspected that there were issues with her reading and comprehension. We were told repeatedly that she was reading on 2nd grade level, even though she was in 1st grade. Within two weeks of transferring to Somerset Elementary, we were told there was indeed an issue with reading and comprehension and that she was below grade level in reading. For 2 years in the Broward County Public Schools her issues were hidden from us, when during this time we could have worked with her, but instead she fell further behind. The teachers and staff at Somerset have been instrumental in turning her around. She was put in specialized programs; there was continuous communication with her teachers and us. My child is now in 4th grade and is truly reading at grade level. Also, I am proud to say, she is an honor student at Somerset. She has worked hard, but this could not have been achieved without the commitment and dedication of the Somerset Staff.

Posted February 25, 2013

The quality of education is really poor in elementary. Some teachers don't explain lessons and don t check homework. It is all about submitting papers and exercises online and they don't check the learning process.... just the grade. My kid came from a good public school as an honor roll and ended up failing two classes and getting lost with concepts at Somerset. I had to hire tutors outside of school! They promote the school as one of the best with a nice image and cool website but good education is not in the program yet. Public schools in the area are much better. Be aware!!!!

Posted February 25, 2013

Great school!! I am so happy my daughter goes to somerset, she is in Kindergarden and her teacher is nothing but excellent, always on top of everything, sending emails, notes; I can see the improvement in my daughter. The principal Mr. Montero is always accessible, committed in every aspect of the school. Im glad.

Posted January 24, 2013

An lot of overachieving students, teachers, and administrators! I feel fortunate to have my fifth grader son attending Somerset Academy. This school exemplifies what a school can achieve under superior leadership. Principal extraordinaire,Mr. Montero, is by far the most impressive principal I have witnessed. The elementary school has exceeded our expectations. The parental involvement is incredible as are the amenities and facilities.

Posted January 23, 2013

My daughter started Kinder this year at Somerset. After much thought, as to which school she should attend we chose this one and I am SO happy that we did. My daughter's teacher is great at communicating with parents. Every email I've sent her has been answered in much much less than 24 hrs. The curriculum is demanding and keeps my kid motivated. I am so glad that she's in this school !

Posted August 16, 2012

I have nothing but praise for Somerset Academy. My daughter started kindergarten here last year, and has made remarkable improvements both academically and socially. She is even reading chapter books at a second grade level! The staff and administration are helpful, friendly, and organized. Looking forward to another school year at this excellent school!

Posted August 9, 2012

my kid begged to get out of this school and I sent him to a "rough" public High school nearby worried that we had made a mistake leaving somerset Acedemy (PP) high. Well, it was no mistake. The school has a lot of turn over in teachers, the security was allowed to "sag his pants" even though the uniform policy doesn't allow it for the students. Some of the "dance team" looked like 29 year old professional "working girls". The girls in particular just seemed way to "fast" . The public school nearby has provided a better education, more ap classes and more sports and clubs. We're done with somerset.

Posted May 25, 2011

An abundant of overachieving students, teachers, and administrators! We feel extremely fortunate to have three children attending Somerset Academy. This school exemplifies what a school can achieve under superior leadership. Principal extraordinaire,Mr. Bernardo Montero, is by far the most impressive principal I have witnessed, yielding tremendous accolades for this school. My husband is an Attorney and I am a former teacher and we feel the school is affording our children top notch academics in superb environment. The elementary school has exceeded our expectations. The parental involvement is incredible as are the amenities and facilities. They have award-winning programs including: a Pre-Law Academy complete with a real Mock court room, a Pre-Med Academy, a Fine Arts Conservatory complete with a Dance Studio and a professional Martial Arts program. The school is constantly triumphant in all kinds of competitions...From debate events to athletics events. They strive to excel in ALL endeavors and activities, big or small. Prior to Somerset, our children attended an excellent charter school and private school in Weston. Somerset has undoubtedly surpassed both of these schools.

Posted May 25, 2011

Somerset is not for the mediocre! If you or your child are driven to aspire to be the best, then this school is for you. The excellence begins from the administration and infused into teachers and curriculum. Head Principal, Mr. Montero aspires to be the best and it shows. He is involved in all aspects of the school and knows every family. Strong parent involvement enhances this special school. It is a unique charter school with Elementary, Middle, and High School in separate buildings but on the same campus. Our children look forward to attending school and we are confident they are receiving an accelerated education second to none.

Posted January 31, 2011

My children have been in this School for the past 6 years, and I have nothing but good to say . The Teachers are caring, nurturing, loving, patient, and really involved. The parent involvemement by far is the best. The staff is very responsive and helpful. It's almost like a Family, everyone knows everyone, which is why the students have alot of respect for teachers and other students. The higher the grade the more control the School has, which I think is great. The Teachers , principle, staff, and student Counselor really take parents concerns seriously and take the time to care and correct any given situation. Just like everywhere , there is always a bit of everything in any School, but I as a Parent have to say this is a great School

Posted January 20, 2011

The truth is this school has yet to achieve effective contol. Everything is incredibly disorganized, and i often find myself thinking "how could this possibly meet the requirements to become a school?". As i feel the teachers are truly amazing, the administration is lacking. it seems like a group of friends just decided to take on the role of governing the school without taking it seriously, they are all 'pals'. And i can assure you that they in no way follow a normal protocal. if the entire administration were to be fired, and replaced that would be the key to making this school a succese. I am a student, so i experiance this first hand. As im sure youve read in a couple of the reviews this s'hool is like a family, which is true, but a few of the students are favored by the office employees, they dont know where to draw the line. Some of the favored students have gone as far as complaining about some teachers enough to get them fired. Ultimately i feel the lack of effective decision making on the administration's part is preventing the success that should be taking place. I honestly have no idea how the school board can deem the administration fit to handle a school.

Posted September 10, 2010

This is my kids second year at this school and I'm hating it. My kids have been dumped into classrooms with 28-35 students. this is really ridiculous. The teachers can't teach effectively because of the overcrowding and they don't encourage the kids to take home books to study. Really ridiculous again. There's no organized sports available for elementary students, and God forbid if your child wants to join a team, the Atheletic Director won't even pick up his phone to answer phone calls. There's hardly ever anyone available in the Elementary and Middle School office to answer questions. It's a joke. Can't wait to transfer my kids to another school next year.

Posted May 25, 2010

My son has been at Somerset for 2 years, and he loves it. The teachers, staff and VP are always involved with patient, respect and love. It is a healthy environment for a child to learn and grow.

Posted May 20, 2010

Is the first year in this school and my son loves it, his teacher is so nice and patient. All the staff are very kind, they maintain a high discipline.

Posted May 2, 2010

my children hhave been at somerset for 6 years. love the school, teachers and all the staff. love the fact that somerset academy is an accredited charter school.

Posted April 28, 2010

This was my daughters first year and we love it. The teachers are all active. Ms. Kaye is an amazing administrator who interacts with the students and children well. I would highly recommend this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

150 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 11% 3%

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

20801 Johnson St