Posted August 21, 2014
We came to Somerset in Kindergarten and had both of our children in school for nearly four years. If you are a parent considering charter, PLEASE think before you do. I regret not learning more about our neighborhood school and now after a year in our neighborhood school after removing our kids from Somerset I can see the difference. Charter doesn't mean better! It just means Charter and please tour the school and compare. The school is run like a business. It is run down, equipment is battered, text books are old. There are some good teachers but there are good teachers everywhere and Somerset has more turnover than any other school I've seen. If you are a good parent, who cares about your child's education they will thrive in a traditional public school, mine have and I can see the difference between a charter and public school environment. Public has more programs, better tools, more specials and I am thrilled we made the switch. Should have done it years ago! My children have said they never ever want to go back to "that school" and that was a very telling statement. Do your research and go with your gut! I did and am happy we're not at Somerset anymore.

Posted June 04, 2014
This school has a very faulty administration. There are four that are set to run the high school and they constantly contradict one another. This leaves both the teachers and students confused at times. Discipline at this school is either handled in an uneducated manner or the students are treated like they are members of a country club. To elaborate on the schools inefficiency some teachers are given extreme sums of power over others. The bad mouthing of teachers is something that constantly goes on and petty vendettas that higher ranked teachers have can be used to terminate the employment of another teacher who does not hold a high position. Somerset also underpays teachers who have a specialiazation in an area. Those who have obtained masters do not get their well deserved pay if one who has a say in their payment does not like them. This is one of the most unprofessional schools that I have seen over the years. I am appalled at what I have seen at this school. The fact that there is even more to go on regarding the administration is extremely horrifying in my eyes.

Posted April 28, 2014
A great school and family-friendly environment. The best part of Somerset Academy is the bullying intolerance and the nonviolence. Fights are a rare occurrence. The teachers are great, willing to explain anything and all the staff are caring and understanding. Clubs and extra-curricular activities are a major plus point and highlight of this wonderful school. Lunch is a bit overpriced though.

Posted April 28, 2014
My school is incredible. The staff cares about their students. They know their students by name, not number and do what they can to make each day count for their students. The principal is number one in my book.

Posted September 13, 2013
As a student myself in my first year of high school I have been attending somerset for 4 years now an I can honestly say it has been the best experience.We are a family. The teachers and staff are phenomenal and I love all my teachers to death and can speak to them about anything. Mr.montero our principle is the best we all love him he's still a high schooler at heart and understands us I mean what other principle is going to do the Harlem shake with the other high schoolers?! As fun as he is he keeps our school in line and tends to each and every student as best as he can be very professional and funny whenever he wants. At somerset there are many clubs and societies you can join which keeps me on my toes and keeps me busy. This selection of clubs allow anyone with any type of interest to be accepted and allowed to do the things they would like. Not to mention our arts conservatory program which although I am not included is spectacular for students who wish to continue their dreams in the arts and become painters, dancers, actors,and musicians. Overall somerset is a spectacular school and I highly reccomend it to any newcomer.

Somerset Academy 1

Posted September 12, 2013
My child is new to this school (Kindergarten). I am pulling her out and putting her in the public elementary school. The teachers here are inexperienced and if your child is gifted forget about them being challenged in anyway. My daughter went into this school reading at a first grade level. She's in a class with children who don't know how to read because they place kids at all different levels and do not offer anything extra for advanced students. This is a charter school, which means it is owned by investors. You can tell because the school is not well maintained. All they care about is money, not the kid's educational growth.

Posted August 21, 2013
my kids are new to this school. teachers and staff are really good. welcoming atmosphere. my kids are happy and they are excited.

Posted July 09, 2013
We transferred my son from a private school to Somerset mid Kindergarten year and love it. This school is a small school and has Elementary, Middle School and High School in the same campus. We love the school, the Principal Mr Montero and the school staff and teachers. Great High School program!

Posted February 28, 2013
Our Child was at a Broward County Public Elementary School for Kindergarten and 1st Grade. During this time, we were told our child was above grade level and was doing great, however we suspected that there were issues with her reading and comprehension. We were told repeatedly that she was reading on 2nd grade level, even though she was in 1st grade. Within two weeks of transferring to Somerset Elementary, we were told there was indeed an issue with reading and comprehension and that she was below grade level in reading. For 2 years in the Broward County Public Schools her issues were hidden from us, when during this time we could have worked with her, but instead she fell further behind. The teachers and staff at Somerset have been instrumental in turning her around. She was put in specialized programs; there was continuous communication with her teachers and us. My child is now in 4th grade and is truly reading at grade level. Also, I am proud to say, she is an honor student at Somerset. She has worked hard, but this could not have been achieved without the commitment and dedication of the Somerset Staff.

Posted February 25, 2013
The quality of education is really poor in elementary. Some teachers don't explain lessons and don t check homework. It is all about submitting papers and exercises online and they don't check the learning process.... just the grade. My kid came from a good public school as an honor roll and ended up failing two classes and getting lost with concepts at Somerset. I had to hire tutors outside of school! They promote the school as one of the best with a nice image and cool website but good education is not in the program yet. Public schools in the area are much better. Be aware!!!!

Somerset Academy
20801 Johnson Street, Pembroke Pines, FL  33029
Last modified Somerset Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Somerset Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 116 reviews.