Somerset Academy Middle School

Charter | 6-8 | 873 students

Posted August 15, 2014

i like this school. it is nice. the school. nothindg to improve in the scholll
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 13, 2013

My friend kids attended this school. I have heard and seen great results. Hope to send my child there soon.

Posted May 25, 2012

I have been to this school since Kindergarden and I personally like it but it isn't the best school in the world. As a student I can honestly speak for the other student and teachers as well. The school has many cliques and a huge amount of rude people who can be bullies. Even though our school says they take bullying seriously, it still goes on all the time. I know lots of people here so I personally don't get bullied but a lot of new people who tend to be more quiet usually get bullied. Also, the people can be very obnoxious. As for the learning, this school has both good and bad. I've had some teachers, actually, quite a few teachers that have been absolutely amazing. Not only are they fun in class, but you learn so much! I've also had teachers though, that you learn absolutely nothing in all year but don't worry, there aren't that many of those. Our school keeps progressing and is trying to provide as many classes and opportunities as possible. The learning is magnificent and if you want a challenge, the advanced and pre-AP classes are magnificent. Hard and challenging, but definitely not impossible to pass. I like this school but like others it has it's good and bads.

Posted May 25, 2011

An abundant of overachieving students, teachers, and administrators! We feel extremely fortunate to have three children attending Somerset Academy. This school exemplifies what a school can achieve under superior leadership. Principal extraordinaire,Mr. Bernardo Montero, is by far the most impressive principal I have witnessed, yielding tremendous accolades for this school. My husband is an Attorney and I am a former teacher and we feel the school is affording our children top notch academics in superb environment. The parental involvement is incredible as are the amenities and facilities. They have award-winning programs including: a Pre-Law Academy complete with a real Mock court room, a Pre-Med Academy, a Fine Arts Conservatory complete with a Dance Studio and a professional Martial Arts program. The school is constantly triumphant in all kinds of competitions...From debate events to athletics events. They strive to excel in ALL endeavors and activities, big or small. Prior to Somerset, our children attended an excellent charter school and private school in Weston. Somerset has undoubtedly surpassed both of these schools.

Posted May 25, 2011

Somerset is not for the mediocre! If you or your child are driven to aspire to be the best, then this school is for you. The excellence begins from the administration and infused into teachers and curriculum. Head Principal, Mr. Montero aspires to be the best and it shows. He is involved in all aspects of the school and knows every family. It is a unique charter school with Elementary, Middle, and High School in separate buildings but on the same campus. Our children look forward to attending school and we are confident they are receiving an accelerated education second to none.

Posted April 17, 2011

Started out well enough and had so much potential to be a great school then the culture of the school changed about four years ago. Most of the teachers are not certified. The administration promises all sorts of things but never deliver on the promises. It is now all about the money and less about the students.

Posted November 5, 2010

Since moving to Florida some years ago, this school is the BEST I have experienced in Broward county! The principal, Mr. Montero, exemplifies what every parent looks for: good leadership, high standards, discipline, proactive academics and good communication with parents. If I have ever had a problem, he is always responsive and productive. His teachers, for the most part are extraordinary. Chapel Trail is a TRIPLE THREAT "A" SCHOOL for a reason: GOOD LEADERSHIP! He is the best thing to happen to my kids.

Posted October 19, 2009

Great school with involved teachers though wish they were all fluent in English... Do not understand why children from Spanish speaking homes goes to beginner Spanish??? Mr Montero is great and strict which for me and my child is greatly appreciated. The admin seems to be in lala-land from time to time different answers depending on who you speak with. Overall I think this is a great school!

Posted October 16, 2009

My daughter is new to the school and I love it. She is bused in from Fort Lauderdale and it requires us to have longer days but it is worth the extra effort.

Posted October 16, 2009

My son is an ESE student which just started Middle School. The transition to a completely new school is hard for students from Elementary let alone a kid with ADD. It was a rough start but action taken on my concerns were addressed immediately. Principal Montero's exceptional leadership is noticeable. He has no troubles rolling up his sleeves in every capacity of the school's function, be it car line, security and just about anything that comes his way. His connection with the students is what caught my eye above everything. My son respects him and that's hard to come by now days. My experience with the teachers I'll sum in three words, responsive, communicative and proactive. My experience with staff, Guidance Counselor and ESE Director has been wonderful and love the variety of After school activities and clubs. I know my son is safe when attending Somerset. Fantastic school all around.

Posted October 14, 2009

I have two children attending middle school at Somerset Academy. Both children are making a smooth transition from a small private school to the Somerset family. All of my experiences thus far have been very positive. The faculty and administration seem to be very dedicated and focused on the success of each child. My children are very happy and are thriving, both academically and socially. They feel safe, secure, and nutured.

Posted December 5, 2008

My child has been attending Somerset Academy since the 6 grade and is now in the 11 grade. Overall, this school is a good school. As a known over protective mom, I have felt comfortable to let my gaurds down at Somerset Academy. In part because of the Principal/Head Master: B. Montero. By now I believe most of the parents at the school have his cell phone number. He makes it available to them and in a recent letter sent home to parents, he included his cell number. I've called him on emergency using that number and was pleased to have him answer. Parents have to stay invovled and demand excellence, but they are working to give us just that.

Posted August 10, 2008

This school is way overrated. There is a lack of supervision. They think they are a private school and want you to pay for everything. They will not allow you to go to the class to pick up your children in the afterschool program. I believe it it because many of the room have no discipline and it is like a zoo. That was my experience prior to them making that rule. I called and left messages for the current principal and he never returned my call. That was 2 years ago. They need more sports for the middle school and they tell you it is $250 to play. This is on the website. Look specifically for soccer.

Posted March 22, 2006

My daughter came from Griffin Elem. in Cooper City which was a super great school, A rated. The school is K-5. So we put her in 6th at Somerset. Somerset needs alot of work. They are buiding a gym now, we haven't let her take PE due to the heat and they have gym outside. She has had a few really great teachers. Though due to it being a charter school they tend to leave the school. So the teacher turnover rate is very high. My daughter has always made honor roll and scores really well on the FCAT. She likes the school but gets discoraged with some of the teachers. We are trying to locate to another school but the only acceptable one is perhaps: The College Of BCC. which is only for 11 & 12th grade. So Somerset is still the best choice for the next year.

Posted January 11, 2006

overall I love this school. There are just 1 or 2 improvements needed. I ussually have to go to the school if I have a question or need something even if minor resolved. And there are just not enough after school activities to involve the children within the actuall school area, not to another park were the child can not transport self. However, the teachers are absolutely wonderful, and in this stage in age it is very important for me to send my child were i feel he is protected and safe. In the 2 years that my son has been there I have not heard of one fight or seen children picked on. So overall I have to say I love somerset academy

Posted November 23, 2005

Somerset Academy seem to be having a hard time maintaining the set standards. The grades have been dropping steadily in the last 3 years instead of improving as with other peer schools. A real concern for me. In general, not exactly a poor school but wouldn't call it great either. Seems district schools are doing better in achieving preset standards.

Posted September 19, 2005

My daughter joined Somerset at inception and is now in Middle School. She was joined by brother three years ago, he is now in Elementary school, grade 2. Excellent academic programs, great teacher involvement. The teacher involvement is bolstered by parents who are actively involved as we are. I find the Admin Leadership to be disjointed but again, once you are involved, things get resolved and fixed relatively quickly. I like a school with uniforms and the level of discipline which Somerset requires is great. For me, an A+ school on effort alone.

Posted January 31, 2005

The benefit to this school is the small class sizes, 800 total kids and teacher envolvement. The cons are the lack of programs/clubs that will benefit the children. There is no music program or adequat area for the children to play.

Posted December 11, 2004

It is a shame to get such a poor response rate on phone calls back from administration. We sometimes need to wait days or show up in person simply to get a response to a two-second question. No wonder, so many parents take out their children to more respectful locations.

Posted December 11, 2004

Poor response rate from administration. We took our children out immediately.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

280 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

280 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

253 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

285 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

189 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

304 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

304 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

302 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

283 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Auditorium
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room