Public charter
Pembroke Pines, FL

Posted September 14, 2014
Somerset is the worst school in the world i promose you it is horrible do not go

Posted June 04, 2014
This school has a very faulty administration. There are four that are set to run the high school and they constantly contradict one another. This leaves both the teachers and students confused at times. Discipline at this school is either handled in an uneducated manner or the students are treated like they are members of a country club.To elaborate on the schools inefficiency some teachers are given extreme sums of power over others. The bad mouthing of teachers is something that constantly goes on and petty vendettas that higher ranked teachers have can be used to terminate the employment of another teacher who does not hold a high position. Somerset also underpays teachers who have a specialiazation in an area. Those who have obtained masters do not get their well deserved pay if one who has a say in their payment does not like them. This is one of the most unprofessional schools that I have seen over the years. I am appalled at what I have seen at this school. The fact that there is even more to go on regarding the administration is extremely horrifying in my eyes.

Somerset Academy Charter High 2

Posted December 08, 2013
All the lower ratings are CORRECT. This is my 4th year (I'm a Senior) and it's honestly a bad school. The only reason it's even rated so high is because the close-knit families among the students and parents(like the people below me pointed out). The school IS bad. Last year I had a chemistry teacher who was very knowledgeable on the subject - but just COULDN'T teach, or control the students. I barely learned a thing, and honestly I was trying to learn. The academic rigor is terrible, and pretty much the school as a whole is -- few programs offered - no sports such as lacrosse, or hockey like most high schools have. The student body as a whole is very unreserved and contributes to the poor academic rigor. PLEASE understand my review that this is (very honestly) not a good school. Ignore the biased positive ratings. They are only rated so, because of the close knit communities - who contribute to the terrible academics, and lack of programs.

Posted October 30, 2013
I didn't like this school at all... I was super excited when I got accepted but after, I regretted even going. I went for 9th grade and left in the beginning of 10th grade, I'm now online schooled until I find a better school for myself because I didn't want to go to this school anymore. The teachers act like they care about our educations but they really don't because they do a very bad job at teaching and then they'll give you a quiz with little information on the lesson. They have a very strict policy on uniform which I hate and its ridiculous how they don't have a nurse or a nurse office, they also make you take these bathroom passes every time you go to the bathroom which basically, if you go to the wrong bathroom then you get into trouble which is horrible because its like elementary all over again. They'll give you a detention for anything you do and the school doesn't even give you textbooks.. they put the textbooks on the USB which isn't good because I like to use a textbook. The only good thing that I like about the school was the lunch food, that was honestly the only good thing that they had...

Posted July 25, 2013
I understand why many people are giving this school a high rating due to the close-knit community and the friendliness of the teachers. I can't say that is not true. But if you're looking for an academically rigorous school, look somewhere else. The teachers do not know what they are doing (well, most of them... there are some diamonds in there somewhere). If your student actually wants to learn, they will suffer and have to teach themselves. My student (son) literally has stayed home because he will learn more by himself that with the teachers. The teachers are NOT prepared. The administrators do not care about fixing these problems: as long as the school is growing, who cares if the kids learn or not?

Somerset Academy Charter High 2

Posted July 24, 2013
Honestly, due to it high ratings by others, I expected it to be a good school,yet that changed when I started as a new student in 9th grade last year. It is a terrible school, the staff is not very friendly, and most of the staff speaks broken English and mostly Spanish. The teachers are mostly young, and have no experience or caring about us. My Algebra 1 teacher, was horrendous, he would mostly talk about how great Jamiaca is more than math, he would also, not inform us when we had our chapter tests. I barely learned in there. My mother had to straighten him out a few times. He still was stubborn and kept talking about the benefits of being a teacher,(insurance, paid during summer,etc.). The students are not very welcoming. I swear, I was lucky that I made 3 friends there. They are just rude and not very including. The only good thing about the school, is that they have a dance program. That is the only reason I sort of wanted to go there. The dance teacher is amazing, and all that. My English teacher wa okay, but she was really nice am she actually taught, except she spoke REALLY broken English. I mean, she could barely pronounce the words on our spelling bee.

Posted June 28, 2011
Principal works out with the teacher exercising which makes it harder to communicate with either some of the teachers or the principal. Teacher leave when they find a better job that is part of the Florida Retirement System (Pines Charter). Thus, a high turnover rate, lots of students take public transportation from North Dade County to attend school here. Some teachers are dictators and can not teach. They are fresh out of college and give lots of busy work, but do not teach!!!!!

Posted May 25, 2011
An abundant of overachieving students, teachers, and administrators! We feel extremely fortunate to have three children attending Somerset Academy. This school exemplifies what a school can achieve under superior leadership. Principal extraordinaire,Mr. Bernardo Montero, is by far the most impressive principal I have witnessed, yielding tremendous accolades for this school. My husband is an Attorney and I am a former teacher and we feel the school is affording our children top notch academics in superb environment. The parental involvement is incredible as are the amenities and facilities. They have award-winning programs including: a Pre-Law Academy complete with a real Mock court room, a Pre-Med Academy, a Fine Arts Conservatory complete with a Dance Studio and a professional Martial Arts program. The school is constantly triumphant in all kinds of competitions...From debate events to athletics events. They strive to excel in ALL endeavors and activities, big or small. Prior to Somerset, our children attended an excellent charter school and private school in Weston. Somerset has undoubtedly surpassed both of these schools.

Posted May 25, 2011
Somerset is not for the mediocre! If you or your child are driven to aspire to be the best, then this school is for you. The excellence begins from the administration and infused into teachers and curriculum. Head Principal, Mr. Montero aspires to be the best and it shows. He is involved in all aspects of the school and knows every family. It is a unique charter school with Elementary, Middle, and High School in separate buildings but on the same campus. Our children look forward to attending school and we are confident they are receiving an accelerated education second to none.

Posted February 02, 2010
I am the parent of two children who have been attending Somerset since elementary school. Sticking with Somerset as they went through their growing pains was well worth it for me. My daughters have grown both socially and academically with the help of Mr. Montero (the school's principal) and his staff at Somerset. Mr. Montero knows all of his students by names and faces, not by numbers or statistics. The students don't get lost in the shuffle as they do in larger public schools where they could easily even leave campus and never be missed. All who leave Somerset, whether they care to admit it or not, do well in whatever their endeavors are. The desire to do well is contagious at Somerset, and this is what the students take with them. The friendly competition and desire for success among the students at Somerset is very impressive.

Somerset Academy Charter High
20805 Johnson Street, Pembroke Pines, FL  33029
Last modified Somerset Academy Charter High is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Somerset Academy Charter High Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top