Escambia High School

Public | 9-12 | 1745 students

Posted May 18, 2014

The engineering program at EHS is top flight. My child has completed all 4 yrs and was accepted at 5 major engineering universities and will attend Auburn next year with a full ride. She was not even the top student in the program! As with all schools there are problems with the duds but these are mostly hard working, caring and smart teachers. The ROTC program is the best in the country and the music program is hands down the best in the area. The honors science and math programs are of the highest quality. In short this is a good school in an old building with a diverse student population.

Posted October 29, 2013

This is the school we are zoned to go to. I wish we could afford Private school, this school is a joke and so is their Sports department. My son tried out for Basketball and they told kids that a list would be put up the next day. Well guess what his name was not on there but Kids that did not try out were, How is that fair to anyone? Teachers are just there to get a paycheck.

Posted September 26, 2013

Escambia High School is a terrible school. The administration is a joke. I would NOT recommend sending your child here. I will not be allowing my younger children to attend Escambia High School.

Posted February 4, 2012

I graduated from Escambia some time ago. It definitely is not the best school out there. There were constant fights, a high dropout rate, and some pretty bad teachers that didn't do their job. The school was too poor to afford cameras so it was easy to skip class. However, it is possible to obtain a good education there. In my experience, all of the honors, AP, and dual enrollment teachers were the best teachers in the school and were caring about my performance in class. Regular-level courses should be avoided as they tend to be led by poor teachers. If you have no other place to send your child to school and you are reluctant, I believe it is possible to make it work out. My parents were skeptical about sending me here at first, but were glad I stuck around and I ended up graduating here with honors.

Posted January 24, 2012

I am a parent and reading all the high school reviews has led me to this school. I have searched the web but would like feedback from actual students. My son is a freshman and has great grades. Tell me something about the classes and teachers.. How do they add up? I am reading some bad reviews but do know that you can succeed once you put your mind to it. I am an involved parent and DO NOT tolerate bullying, or bad teachers.

Posted June 5, 2011

I believe this school is like any other school, it is what you make it. The faculty and staff are very supportive, and if you make yourself friendly and take the right steps they will support you fully. I took a part in academic programs, all honors courses, and even played in the orchestra. Escambia has wonderful opportunities for growth and development, and the top band, orchestra, and ROTC in the county. The all county orchestra is led by students from escambia high, and so is the all county band. The Band and ROTC programs are top rated in the country, and win many ward. If you stick with the right crowd and put the effort in your opportunities are endless

Posted May 4, 2011

This school is worse the worst in the county. Some of the teachers speak very bad English and there are almost no resources. Overcrowding is a huge problem, along with fights, and not just your typical fights. Two students once got into a fight over fried chicken. Also, the buses show up late all the time. Today, it showed up 30 minutes late, yesterday, it didnt even come.

Posted April 12, 2011

Honestly, Escambia is not that bad. I moved here my sophomore year from a AMAZING high school and was quite reluctant to come here once hearing about it. Now, I am almost done with my junior year and I love it here. I find that the teachers, students, and counselors are great. Yes there are fights and lock downs but what can you really do? Maybe these things happen more at one school than the next but it's all what you make of it. I am involved in honor courses, many clubs, and stick with the right crowd. Chose you friends and classes wisely and you will be fine.

Posted April 2, 2011

New Leadership is badly needed! the school has great potential, but unfortunitly this leadership promotes incompetence! What a shame! I have seen this school through the eyes of a student and parent and have seen good leaders come and go and this current poor leader stay!

Posted November 19, 2010

Before moving here, we checked all the local schools and settled on EHS after speaking with a few parents with experience. I've not been disappointed. Granted, it's not a wonderful as the school we just came from- but this is Florida. I graduated from high school in Florida and can tell you - EHS is just one of many like it. Our child has great grades, honors classes and a good bunch of friends. If the parents stay involved with their child's school life, they can keep everything in check. Know their friends, know their classes and teachers, and teach them right from wrong and ensure they are strong enough to stay out of trouble. There is good and bad at every school - it's just what you make it.

Posted October 22, 2010

My daughter just started school here. I had heard dismal reviews before she started, but because this was our district, and her grades were consistently high enough to go out if district I got stuck sending her here. It is a joke of a school. The 1st time mid term progress reports were to go home, half of her teachers "didn't have theirs ready". I set up a parent teacher conference and her Math teacher and ROTC instructor didn't even show up. I followed up to her Math teacher with not one, but two emails requesting an update on her grades and progress in her class she ignored both of them. I then called the Principal to try to find out some info. I got the secretaries voice mail. She failed to return my call. Also, Mrs.White in guidance is beyond RUDE as are most of the staff! Horrible school!

Posted September 16, 2010

As the parent of an 11th grade student ,and another who graduated and is in her 2nd year of college, I have GOOD things to say! Honors' classes, academic fairs,clubs, sports, PTSA, and scholarships! I have found the Principal to be incredibly committed and entirely approachable from the start! She has personally reached into her pocket to address student and school needs on many occasions. I have met many wonderful Teachers and Coaches who see teaching as a calling and have a real heart for the kids. I'm sorry to hear that others have had a lesser experience, but feel that Escambia H.S. affords students a great all around academic experience with ample opportunities for growth on every level. My children have gone to Magnet Schools, Gifted Schools , and had eligibility to choose any school. We chose EHS.Parents are encouraged to get involved and PTSA is a great way !

Posted June 16, 2010

My daughter attended Escambia High for about three months before I pulled her out of there and enrolled her in homeschool. This is absolutely the worst school I have ever had to deal with. There are entirely too many administrators, and none know what the others are doing. The staff are cold, rude and uncaring. Drugs, fights and the 'gang-banger' attitude are prevalent in the student body. Walking into this school felt like walking into a prison. Only one of my daughter's teachers seemed to be interested in making sure she was catching on and keeping up as a new student to the district. The others were just plain rude. Also the curriculum is almost a full semester behind schools in other states. If you can help it at all, don't send your kids to this school. It's absolutely horrible.

Posted June 7, 2010

I have traveled quite a bit and have experienced many different academic environments and this has be the worst. The principal is far too busy with other things to be truly concerned with the students. The majority of the office staff is rude and uncaring and most teachers are the same way. There are huge issues with fights especially in the bathrooms, drugs, etc. and the principal is reluctant to install new cameras to provide a bit more protection, but the teachers have smart boards in the classrooms that are rarely used. What about protection of the students? The school PTSA does not provide any real assistance and are concerned with luncheons, fund raising, and beautification. This was my first, last, and only year at Escambia High.

Posted February 4, 2010

I'm a sophomore at Escambia High. Yes, there are fights, and drugs, etc. However, it is in the other schools just as much, it is just publicized more from Escambia. Having gone there for a year and a half, I'm in honors classes, many clubs, and play sports there and I am most definately proud to call myself an EHS gator.

Posted June 14, 2009

I go to Escambia High Its not what they are saying it is .There are fights ex..... There for this school is ok but its not the best

Posted May 25, 2009

I love Escambia High School! :D When people say it's a bad school, 99.9% of those people have never been there. It has just as much druggies, gang members, slackers as any school. It all just depends on who you hang out with. If you have great friends who don't do drugs and don't fight and you keep up your grades, you'll make it through. :)

Posted September 3, 2008

I have two children enrolled at EHS and for the most part they would not go anywhere else,but there are a few teachers there that are really rude and uncaring about the students (in my opinion).My biggest concern at the moment is the dangerous situation in front of the school during drop off and pick uupup

Posted June 13, 2008

I am a going to be a sophomore next year and i loved my year at escamabia. I am proud to call Escmabia my school. And can't wit to go back next year. I also love there sports program Go Gators!

Posted February 17, 2008

I am currently a senior at EHS, and I have spent all four years there. Alot of people think it is a horrible school, but let me tell you. It is not! the main complaints are overcrowding, mediocre work, no books, and the appearance. Lets think a minute though.. Who is to blame for them? The administration has done everything in their power to fix these problems! the school district doesn't give us enough money for books, the teachers are 'mean' because students arent willing to learn therefore they get mediocre work, the appearance of the school is improving every week due to our clean and green days, and the reason we are so overcrowded is because the escambia county school district closed down woodham high school. In my opinion, there really isn't that much violence either. No more than any other school. I would reccomend it to anyone!

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

498 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

374 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

390 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

431 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

314 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

331 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

290 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

317 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 7%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options