Scenic Heights Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 889 students

Posted March 3, 2014

Over I am happy with this school. My son is in K-5 and the year is more then half over. He has came a long way and is learning to read and write already. A parent complained about how her son was left behind in 1st. As a parent you have to be involved with your child's education on a weekly basis. Help them learn to read and write at an early age. You can not just leave it all up to the school. You see what sight words they know and work with them on a weekly basis. They send home a list of sight words and we know what they are supposed to be learning. The reason I gave a 4 and not a 5 is because they are a bit to strict with the k-5 class. they only get a 15 minute recess and they are not even able to talk to their friends in the lunch room? that's crazy. I talked in the lunch room all through school. Kids need a chance to feel free to talk at some point in the day. I have noticed that not only schools, but parents are way more up-tight with kids then they where when I was growing up. Everywhere I go I see kids as young as 1 1/2 getting scolded for acting like kids and wanting to play. People try to make them small adults way too young. Still, Over all a great school.

Posted February 15, 2014

I have nothing but great comments about Scenic Heights. I am very involved in my kids education. The one thing that I have noticed so far in the two years my child has attended this school is the lack of parent participation. It is really sad. The teachers have been awesome and I communicate with them often which I might add is a big difference in the education if my child. I love this school but most importantly my son loves this school.

Posted August 22, 2013

This is my childs first year. She is in k5. The first day of school her bus driver says that he could drop her off if no one was out because we were told the wrong drop off time. Her teacher wasn't spelling her name right and my child keeps saying she raises her hand but her teacher never calls on her so she doesnt get any stars. I just think all students should be treated the same. Its only her and one other black in her class. I dont think the school is about the students.

Posted August 1, 2013

My child went to S.H for K5 and first grade. K5-no complaints. Great teacher, clearly loved her job, and was simply amazing. One year later, an absolute disaster. So bad, that my child was retained another year in first grade for not reading 60 words a minute FLUENTLY. The retention is not what bothered me. The fact that my husband and I had no idea about it until the report cards came home on the last day was a huge problem. My son found out from HIS bus driver that he did not pass. We have tried numerous times to get my son help throughout the school year and not one step was taken by S.H to improve or focus on his reading. We were told otherwise, but it was lies. The schools mission statement should be changed. It should be against the law to print such a lie about a schools mission, or if that IS their mission, they are so far off target. The kids and their education is not the primary focus atbthis school. My son used to love school. They should hire teachers and other faculty members that actually strive to help children learn. I would never in my life recommend this school to my bestest of friends, or my worst enemies. Compassion and professionalism is 100% not there.

Posted February 17, 2012

I have a child who currently attends this is school and as stated previously, the quality of education depends on the teacher. My child's teacher seems to be careless at times and there has been more than a few occasions where I had to correct or bring light to her mistakes in a kind and gently manner. Compared to other public schools in the Pensacola area, I guess Scenic is okay, but far from the excellent education some students are receiving in surrounding counties or even the county where I once live. Also, their procedures for car riders in the evening is horrendous and should be restructured. They begin to dismiss students at 1:50pm, but if you're not in line by 1:15pm, you'll be waiting for your child for atleast 30 minutes. It's very unconvenient and as I stated before, should be restructured.

Posted April 28, 2010

Scenic Heights Elementary School is a great place for children to learn, the administration, teachers, staff and PTA work together to make it a pleasant environment.

Posted February 19, 2009

The three star rating is a generous rating. Overall, the educational experience is average but it truly depends on the teacher. My kids have had experienced caring teachers until this year. There are many passionate teachers at the school but there are a few who do not want to teach but babysit. This has been my worse nightmare coming true. The administration takes the word of the teacher over the students and is happy with the status quo. The administration is unapproachable and unhelpful. A parent with concerns about their child's well being is on their own. I would definitely trust the low rating reviews for this school. I would not recommend this school unless parents had the choice of picking out a teacher for their child.

Posted March 19, 2008

My kids love it here and the staff and after school activities are great

Posted January 4, 2008

I love scenic heights. It is a great school for under and over achivers. Everyone is treated farley and everyone gets along. Students can get involed in extra activites and the special area teachers are wonderful!
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 2, 2006

Scenic Heights is an outstanding school. As a parent children attending Scenic Heights, I see the teachers, administration and parents care deeply for the children and a quality education. Parents and teachers are working together to give our children a great learning experience that will take them through many years. There are many extracurricular learning activities made available in the school with symphonic band, choral concerts, special theatrical presentations, grade level parent participation activities, violin lessons for 5th graders, speed stacking and fitness clubs. There are also many opportunities for parents to be involved with their children(s) education. Teachers and staff support parent involvement in programs such as math superstars, reading, spanish enrichment, home room activities, etc... Technology at Scenic Heights has increased by the addition of over 60 new computers. Accelerated Reader programs are available in every classroom. Our children are stepping up to the testing challenge.

Posted June 29, 2006

We've sent three through this school, and I was a member of the PTA eight years. By the time our last child left, the school was a shadow of it's former self. The principal is cold and ill-matched to kids at the elementary level, parents have been shut-out of the school, teachers' days are filled with test-prep which, in turn, provides mounds of homework for students. Where there used to be field trips and parent volunteers and the principal hugged kids, now there are gates, locked doors, and few fun activities.

Posted March 23, 2006

My son is in kindergarten and has had a wonderful experience at Scenic Heights. His teacher is highly motivated and creative. Her classroom is highly conducive to learning. I was very nervous about my son going to such a big school, but have been pleasantly surprised how well everyone knows him. I love this school!

Posted July 25, 2005

The academic programs at Scenic Heights seem average in comparison to other elementary schools in the area. You really have to be your child's advocate here...if they have special needs you must push and invest time to make administrators recognize this. Extracurricular activities are standard, nothing to rave about. Parent involvement doesn't seem discouraged or overly encouraged.

Posted June 30, 2005

This is an outstanding school. There isn't much in the way of field trips or extracurricular activities that I have seen, but the leadership is wonderful. The teachers for the most part are good with the exception of a few teachers. My son had a teacher that didn't seem to have a clue all year long despite several conferences with her concerning his progress. Overall, I give this school a big thumbs up!

Posted February 8, 2005

My husband and I have been thrilled with the success our 3 children have experienced at Scenic Heights. The faculty and staff have made school a fun and warm place to learn even if they impose 'homework' much to the kids dismay! We have a variety pack of needs with our 3 kids. 1 childs' needs are met with the accelerated programs another has needs met with special assistance for learning while the youngest is just having a blast learning far more than we adults learned at the entry level. I must commend the Teachers that we have experienced as knowledgeable and eager to have each child succeed with enthusiasim and willing to listen to parents. As a public school I feel comfortable with the acedemic needs being met but do wish I could afford private school with a religious atmosphere.

Posted October 24, 2003

I feel I made the right choice in placing my son in Scenic Heights. He is learning at a nice pace and he is learning discipline at the same time. The teacher and parents work together on everything and the teacher keep you well informed on your child performance rather poor or excellent.

Posted July 28, 2003

The most caring professional groups of teachers and staff members I have ever encountered. My son loves going to school at Scenic Heights and he is motivated to learn!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

152 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

150 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

128 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

127 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

131 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

130 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

• MS. MARY ELLEN WIGGINS
Fax number
  • (850) 494-5624

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now