757 students|Escambia

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

There is a reason this school is an A school. Fabulous faculty! They are dedicated.

SHE is a great place to send your students. Excellent staff and faculty. I have read some of the reviews and can say honestly that I have not witnessed the yelling or problems with the faculty that I see here. Disgruntled parent perhaps?

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some teachers are to easy going, and do to that I believe that some students will not listen due to they don't have the ability to control them.

Amount of homework: Agree

The home work sent home is not to much and not to little they got that right. They also are very repetitive which is great for kids.

Develops character: Disagree

The teachers I've found are not always truthful. Which I have tried to address and have had no luck.

There are goo teachers here but it is hit and miss... have seen and watched teachers yelling at students in a manor that is not right for teachers to be doing. I have had 2 teachers tell me to my face that they "give up" with teaching my kids.. WOW really!! There are good teachers there, don't get me wrong but as I said before its hit an miss. I do believe that there is a lot of favoritism in this school and a bit of other things along with bulling that is not addressed like it was said that they would. Teachers are making student hold there potty breaks to the point of messing them selves and I for one can't see why. This school was great for the k-2 but then has gotten worse. I don't recommend this school for all. if your kid is easy going and easy to handle then this is the school for you. But if you have kid/kids that are a challenge this school will not tolerate your child and then make them out to be un-teachable kids. There is no child that is perfect, nor parent this is just a heads up. Thank you

Over I am happy with this school. My son is in K-5 and the year is more then half over. He has came a long way and is learning to read and write already. A parent complained about how her son was left behind in 1st. As a parent you have to be involved with your child's education on a weekly basis. Help them learn to read and write at an early age. You can not just leave it all up to the school. You see what sight words they know and work with them on a weekly basis. They send home a list of sight words and we know what they are supposed to be learning. The reason I gave a 4 and not a 5 is because they are a bit to strict with the k-5 class. they only get a 15 minute recess and they are not even able to talk to their friends in the lunch room? that's crazy. I talked in the lunch room all through school. Kids need a chance to feel free to talk at some point in the day. I have noticed that not only schools, but parents are way more up-tight with kids then they where when I was growing up. Everywhere I go I see kids as young as 1 1/2 getting scolded for acting like kids and wanting to play. People try to make them small adults way too young. Still, Over all a great school.

I have nothing but great comments about Scenic Heights. I am very involved in my kids education. The one thing that I have noticed so far in the two years my child has attended this school is the lack of parent participation. It is really sad. The teachers have been awesome and I communicate with them often which I might add is a big difference in the education if my child. I love this school but most importantly my son loves this school.

This is my childs first year. She is in k5. The first day of school her bus driver says that he could drop her off if no one was out because we were told the wrong drop off time. Her teacher wasn't spelling her name right and my child keeps saying she raises her hand but her teacher never calls on her so she doesnt get any stars. I just think all students should be treated the same. Its only her and one other black in her class. I dont think the school is about the students.

My child went to S.H for K5 and first grade. K5-no complaints. Great teacher, clearly loved her job, and was simply amazing. One year later, an absolute disaster. So bad, that my child was retained another year in first grade for not reading 60 words a minute FLUENTLY. The retention is not what bothered me. The fact that my husband and I had no idea about it until the report cards came home on the last day was a huge problem. My son found out from HIS bus driver that he did not pass. We have tried numerous times to get my son help throughout the school year and not one step was taken by S.H to improve or focus on his reading. We were told otherwise, but it was lies. The schools mission statement should be changed. It should be against the law to print such a lie about a schools mission, or if that IS their mission, they are so far off target. The kids and their education is not the primary focus atbthis school. My son used to love school. They should hire teachers and other faculty members that actually strive to help children learn. I would never in my life recommend this school to my bestest of friends, or my worst enemies. Compassion and professionalism is 100% not there.

Last modified Scenic Heights Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.