J. H. Workman Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 977 students

Posted April 10, 2014

I attended this school for a short while, and I was "scared away" by all the fights that break out and the overwhelming classes that they give you. The teachers there are okay, but the work was overwhelming all and all for an advanced student like myself. The principal there is very nice, but also weirdly confused... as far as the dean, she can be crude, but effective. If you go to this school, watch out for all the fights, the overwhelming challenging classes, and a lot of bullies. Thank you, an ex-student.

Posted February 20, 2013

My son has been a student of Workman for the last three years. Besides a handful of teachers, the teachings there are totally inadequate. Combine that with absolutely no leadership from the principal, you've got a mess. There is ONE police officer to manage almost 1,000 kids. The majority of teachers are pathetic. For example, one Civics teacher enjoys propping up his feet to watch basketball while the kids color. The list goes on and on. The only reason that I let my child attend is that he does not want to leave because all of his friends are there. If I'd known that after 6th grade the education would become so pathetic, I would have pulled him out immediately. I would dicourage any parent to send their child there. You can't undo what they've seen and heard and you'll never understand the justifications given for such poor teaching. A school needs strong leadership and the ability to require teachers to be held accountable. None of this is happening. The IB philosophy is a joke. Please, teach these children what they need to know- Math, Science, Language Arts etc., This "philosophy" is not only not working but is misleading to the parents.

Posted July 25, 2012

This school is a very immersive school, with numerous challenging courses. The school itself is very easy to navigate, as most classes will center around one area of the building. Fights occasionally break out, but are easily stopped as we have police officers on patrol 24/7. The teachers are a mixed bag, you get chosen to be a part of a group of students in a team (Team A, team B or even Team C) and it's luck whether you get good teachers or bad teachers. The schedules are easy to understand, as they use Block Scheduling for every class, meaning that each class lasts 1 hour and 30 minutes. The lunch period is within 2nd/6th period (depends on the day) and depending on your teacher, you will either go with A, B, C or D lunch. The one gripe I have with lunch is that the seating is sometimes imbalanced and that you get assigned a couple of tables to sit in. The excersize curriculum is okay, you get an hour and 30 minutes of P.E. every other day. This school has recently become an IB world school, and there are facilities for kids with mental disabilities and kids from other countries. Overall, I reccomend this school. This is coming first-hand from a student.

Posted July 31, 2011

I am not a parent but a student that attends workman middle school and my experience was not bad. Actually it was great . All most all of the teachers were great. Except for Dr.Wheeler . And i will be attending the school again with my brother. The experience might of been hard because it was there first time there. Sure there are play fights but not that many fights with fist. Or kids are just yelling at each other

Posted April 16, 2011

To the person underneath my comment , your completly wrong about the school in general . Their is NEVER a fight since my 3 years their i have only seen about 2 fights . Now Mrs.Edwards dosent do anything ,Mrs.Ursery is a very good Vice principal. The teachers that you named were good Mrs.P Carter is probley one of the best teachers out their she has good experiance with children she is my current history teacher(: Mrs. Egly is an okay teacher she teaches ONE lesson in a 45 min class , i can hardly comprehend the lesson , Mrs.bloodworth one of the science teachers is VERY disorganized with everything she will mostly give you projects worth 5 or 6 test grades and they are due in less than a week . I would reccomend you to this school but make sure you child is dedicated to his/her work . Personally i think if your going to talk anything about FIGHTS at this school then you need to go to this school , their is never a fight , no people jumpping people their might be some personal drama but no fights. another thing is i love the coaches ,Coach Stewart &Coach Brown but their are both leaving for retirement!

Posted April 4, 2011

My child has been a student at Workman for the last 2 years and my experience has been a nightmare!! From the Principal Mrs. Edwards on down ! She is useless! There are fights, unruly children, unfair practices, the list goes on. I have only met a few teachers who seem concerned and care about the children (Mrs. P Carter, Mr. T. Smith,Egly, Tienney) to name a few. I can't wait for my child to leave this school!!

Posted January 29, 2010

Workman Middle School is a great school overall. It has teachers that actually make learning interesting and not a bunch of boring, pointless textbook work. I cannot put into words how much I have learned from Workman, both in and out of the classroom. What I'm saying is that it has taught me not only what is required by the FCAT (GASP!) but also about life in general. There are some obscene comments on the walls of the bathrooms, but that, my dear friends, is the world. There are a few fights, but the numbers of those have significantly decreased recently. Workman is becoming a better school. Though the morale of it could be better, I enjoy going to school. I find it interesting. I'm a top student there, and I'm sure that if I enjoy it, your child will too.

Posted November 25, 2009

I love workman middle school in pensacola its fun and i love the school principle and all my teachers!!! belive me

Posted September 18, 2009

They work hard to meet each pupils individual needs.

Posted April 5, 2009

I'm currently an 8th grader at Workman and I'm glad that I'm getting out of this school. The students that go there with me, well are not very interested in their education. We see many fights and many referrals ,and I am just disappointed with my fellow students and their behavior and attitudes. I find all the bad influences disrupting my classwork and I don't enjoy it at all.All the dean does for discipline is give out a billion referrals and suspends students. This method is so not working. I've been going to school for two years and it's just gotten worse.I hope it will improve.

Posted September 27, 2008

I am graduated student of Workman Middle School, I am now a 10th grader at Washington highschooler. My time at Workman was not bad, in my experience the teachers were well-versed in their area of expertise and there was no incompetancy whatsoever. My graduating class wasn't the best-behaved and that was the downside of going to Workman, most of th students weren't very motivated, lack of a good home life to say the least and the teachers are not at fault. I'm not saying that Workman is th best school ever, because it wasn't, but it wasn't a terrible school either. I enjoyed my three years and I will forever look back on them fondly.

Posted August 12, 2008

I'm a Workman 8th grader. I believe that what you get out of Workman is what you put into it. I've noticed many reviews stating that there is a lot of negative energy around campus. But i don't see the complainers taking action. ' When the going gets tough, the tough get going'. Don't forget that, we the students, ARE Workman.

Posted March 24, 2008

I think Workmen is a horrible school.Many times I have begged my mom and dad to homeschool me.A couple of reasons why I do not like Workmen is because of the students and the enviroment. The majority of the students are not there to learn at all,all the do is harrass the teachers and the other students who are there to learn.Every day I go to Workmen I fear of bomb threats and fist fights.Another thing about Workmen is the enviroment. For example the bathrooms are terrible,and there is lots of obcene comments all around the campus.So in the end that is why I dislike Workmen Middle

Posted March 10, 2008

I am a mother who has homeschooled a child (now attending workman middle) for 3 years. He is in the 8th grade. I think Workman is a great school. I find the teachers to be very supportive as I take interest in my childs behavior, and acaedemics. I find the teachers go the extra mile to notify me as to my childs progress overall as I make my concerns known. I think overall the school really works hard to make the school a great place of learning. I am really pleased with every teacher that my child has in 8th grade-his first return back to public school. I encourage parents to do all they can to be involved in their childs education and you can really see Workman at it's best. It takes a villiage.....

Posted February 10, 2008

Im currently a 7th grader at Workman middle and it is not all that. I came to the school because it WAS an 'A' school and theire were no uniforms, now its a 'C' school and the're voting on uniforms. and it has all these new rules its boring and thet try to make it fun they shoukd have atleast 9 8th and 7th grade dances,and they just really need to loosen up A LOT.

Posted August 16, 2007

I'm a student at Workman, and I'm going into 8th grade. I truly hate the school system at Workman. The kids are completely out of control, the teachers never have a good I'll say 'relationship' with your parents, and it just is a bad place to be! The only things I like about Workman is the band teacher and my friends

Posted August 15, 2007

this is my last year attending workman, and let me tell you, it definitely isn't perfect. like many have said, the school lacks respect and support, however there are so many life lessons I've learned here. if their was more funding I believe workman could be a great school. there is no gym, the bathrooms often lack soap. but the education for those who DO WANT to learn definitely isn't stumped by those who DON'T want to learn.

Posted July 20, 2007

I went to workman for the last three years and have expirenced alot of good things and bad at the same time.I personally think that workman is a great school. You can't blame the lack of home training on the teachers, actually it's the parents fault. Workman has nothin to do with the kids behavior. They have to learn it from somewhere. When I was there I had fun and I actually learned something. Yes the kids were out of hand, but some kids still behaved.

Posted July 16, 2007

Teachers lack communication with the parents and for those parents who are still involved in their child's education this is a big disappointment. Many of the students at Workman lack discipline and are way out of control and now they are merging more students into Workman from another school also with discipline issues. We have now opted for private school because of the lack of discipline.

Posted October 8, 2006

Workman has excellent teachers. The to be honest the students are horrible. There are some students who really care about their eduction but their are those who have major attitudes, causing problems for others. Their is not a strong backing by the school district nor by the upper leadership to help create a strong disciplinary actions to try to control the students. The teachers are also not getting the support from the parents to help with discipline which has caused the teachers to throw up their hands. A major rework is needed to help keep the enviorment safe for the students and for the staff...

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

308 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

304 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

342 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

343 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

320 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

312 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

320 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

318 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

273 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

122 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options