Pensacola, FL

Posted May 29, 2014
I've just graduated from Brown-Barge, and can say this is one of the best learning environments I've seen. It's one of the only schools in the whole world that uses integrated curriculum, and also has excellent band/orchestra programs that goes to Disney World to perform each year. And even though it is a bit hard to understand at first, what with the wacky schedule and all, it gets better. Brown-Barge has some of the nicest and most dedicated teachers around, including Mark York, band director, Mrs. Powe, guidance counselor, and Mr. Moran who is a long time veteran of Brown-Barge. So don't let your child quit after the first year because they don't get it, or it confuses them. We have the best field trips, and learn about the greatest things. There are 3 12-week long trimesters each year. The first trimester of sixth grade is just sixth graders, and the last trimester of eighth grade is just eighth graders. Everything in between is all the grades mixed together, which lets you make friends with people you never would have known before. All around we have a cool school full of smart people who you should really get to know. (There's also a PATS Center RIGHT next door)

Brown Barge Middle School 4

Posted May 11, 2014
My daughter has almost completed 6th grade. I am very grateful and satisfied with the education she has received. She started as a shy timid but extremely bright child. Now she has developed so much more confidence that has allowed her to blossom. She has worked with many groups and completed tons of presentations. I believe this is going to be very beneficial as she moves on to high school and eventually college. I know several people who have taught at other middle schools in Escambia County. I count my lucky stars that she was accepted into this school. It is not perfect, but considering the age and hormones the students are going through I consider it close to perfect. Also from what I have heard from my child the students are overall respectful to one another with minimal bullying. The school really nips it in the bud.

Posted December 15, 2013
I'm currently in 8th grade at Brown Barge Middle School and I truly love it. It's not for everyone, I know students who are very smart but struggle with the assignments but there are much more who gain skills to succeed in life.When I first came here I was scared that I would be behind in curriculum compared to other schools but I quickly realized that we are missed nothing, if anything we're getting ahead while having fun. This is a small school compared to other schools so honestly there are clics and there are some "mean people",but once you find that group you'll have a blast.The teachers are very committed in parent involvement and always are ready to help you. Gonna miss this school when I leave.

Posted September 30, 2013
As we know, this school is not just for anyone,but the lessons and teachers give an excellent effort for learning. Andrew

Posted September 05, 2013
What an absolute honor it is to know that my daughter has been given such a magnificent opportunity to attend BBMS. I wonder how many of us parents truly understand the bigger picture of what's going on today with our sons and daughters? I encourage you to praise them for what they are striving towards. For it can only be that our children are striving towards greatness. So many of our sons and daughters have already gone through so much because of what we have drug them through with our own selfish agendas. No child is at this school by chance. Please encourage your children to do their best. Lead them in truth and teach them character from the home. Sit down as a family and discuss with them those precious little things that are in their little hearts. If we are lucky they won't put us in a nursing home one day. Thank goodness for BBMS and all it truly stands for in our community...signed...a proud dad...

Brown Barge Middle School 1

Posted June 07, 2012
The worse school ever. I moved and could not get anything from the school to take to new location. Just got the run around.

Posted November 01, 2011
This school is amazing. It is not for everyone, but for the creative type child it is the best. My daughter attends this school and the attached PATS center. I love thier learning methods because it keeps it fun and is very hands on. I really dislike living in this county, but I cannot move because this school is too awesome to give up. I wish there was a high school that would follow up to this amazing middle school.

Posted August 23, 2011
My daughter attended BBMS from 2007-2010, I absolutely loved their curriculum and out of the box approach to educating. The Principale and Vice Principale's (we experienced 2) were very approachable, full of vigor & information any time I walked through the door. Dr. Kerringan and Ms. Harding always seemed well in tuned with their students. Mrs. Poe (Guidance) was there for my daughter for educational, social and emotional advisement. The teachers go above & beyond and are enthusiatic. It was a relief to experience BBMS! I have not been impressed with the Escambia County School's as a whole, but BBMS and West Florida High School, have been exceptional!!

Brown Barge Middle School 1

Posted August 20, 2010
I used to attend Brown Barge Middle School for the 6th grade and absolutly hated it. It is just a terrible school. They have a very messed up system, all its for is confusing you. In elementary school, I got all A's. In Brown Barge all I got was 1's and 0's. The teachers are terrible at thier job. One of the teachers I had rudely gave me a 1 in his class. All he did to teach his class was play rap music over the speakers to the class, getting the students off-task, and would always sit in the back and text on his phone. And they are way to social. In all of the classes, you always get time to socailize, which is totally unexceptable. The principal and assistant pricncipal, are very rude and harrass you. I hope you don't put your kids in this terrible school.

Posted December 21, 2009
I am a former student, fresh out of this school. I absolutely loved my 8th grade year, though since the school is so small, the amount of rude, conceited and mean students is 10x as concentrated, and It is CRUCIAL that parent's get involved and pay attention at this point in their children's lives, because I have seen TOO MANY of my peers with potential fall hard because nobody cared to pay attention to them. This school really prepared me for my high school career. When you find your niche, you really feel like a family. You can find many good friends that will stick for life, and many of us you will find are outspoken and confident because of all of the hands-on action. But watch it, because being excellent here is like balancing on a thin slab of rock. It's not like other schools.

Brown Barge Middle School
201 Hancock Lane, Pensacola, FL  32503
Last modified Brown Barge Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 3-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brown Barge Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top