Camelot Academy of Escambia County School District

Public | 6-12 | 240 students

Modifying behaviors through a normative culture.

Posted Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Two students returned to our school after a stay at Camelot. One graduated this spring -- a superb student, totally focused. Another, graduating next year, has proved to be a wonderful asset to our school. Another started here as a freshman and won student of the month!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 23, 2014

My Granddaughter has become a new person at school thanks to the staff at Camelot. When she first got there she was terrible and I was getting phone calls 3 times a week about her behavior and trying to fight. But thanks to the staff, Mr. Wooten to be specific, for not giving up on her and being a constant force in her life she has now become a tiger shark. Now I get phone calls about how good she is doing and how proud they are of her. When she missed a day of school, Mr. Wooten called personally to find out why. The staff at Camelot really goes the extra mile and does things that are above and beyond what they're supposed to do. I read some of the old comments on here and I was convicted to share because some of the negative remarks do not reflect the dedication and love the staff give these students. Camelot is a great school and I am thankful for the staff there. May God bless Camelot and the staff who work there.

Posted October 17, 2013

This may be the best thing Escambia County ever did. I was very scarred when my daughter had to go to Camelot, but I couldn't afford private schools. I visited and talked to the staff and decided to try it. It has been the best thing for my daughter. Her grades are better, her attitude is completly changed. She wants to be a role model and cares about herself. Shes learned to get along with other girls and not fight. This program is different from the other schools, but it really works!! GOD BLESS CAMELOT!

Posted August 21, 2013

This is school calls it's self a hands on school, I am an educator and have been for 15tn years, I would not allow anyone I know to atten this school. They put on a show whenever someone comes on campus. They do and will harm these kids. They need to be shut down. I have sent a letter to the FL DOE, and Escambia School District. Most teachers are there because nobody else wants them. Some are not even certified. They have a middle school teacher who is prek-3 only teaching Reading. A teacher certified in Tech teaching reading a noncertified Science teacher. Think about it.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 13, 2013

Dear People Reading This, Education is everything to me--now. Before I was caught up in a world I thought I'd never get out of. When the Escambia County School District expelled me out of Ransom, and put me under change of placement I was frightened!!! There was when I realized I made the wrong choices and was going to have to work to acheive my regular schooling back. My mom was horrified two times more than me. I was at this point feeling like my life was reuined, and I would never see the end of this!!! About a week later we attended Orientation.This was when I saw the truth , not only as they said it, but a the staff lived up to it!! After a month or soo I was a Tiger Shark Working to suport my peers,and me. My parents said this was all steps I was going to have to take to get everything right. The truth is now I realize an education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't, and what I know is Cameot Acedemy helped me a student ,and my parents to not beleive anything is impossible.

Posted May 25, 2013

Camelot is truly a wonderful school. It is really scary when your child has to go there, especially when the child has a disability. I had heard bad things about it, but the ESE lady Miss Kemp told me to go and see the school befor eI made up my mind and I did. It has been the greatest thing the school district ever did for my son. He had trouble with his attitude and getting referals since middle school. Camelot really turned around his behavior and attitude and helped his grades improve. He got much more help with his reading than in the regular school. Mr. Stem, Mr. Max and Mr. Lewis and Mrs. Hall are great. It is very strict, but that makes it safe and keeps them under control . I wish the regular schools in the county could be like Camelot.

Posted May 24, 2013

Camelot has made a huge difference in my sons life. He is more motivated to be a leader and display leadership skills not just in school but also in his daily life. He has matured and appreciates the teachings and advice the school has given and showed him. Mr. Hampton, Mr. Lindsey, Mr. Morris, and a couple of others were very active and supportive in and to my sons life. Their genuine passion for life for children for teaching showed in every encounter ive had and my son has had with them. I appreciate their work. I know its not easy. But these guys put aside everything outside of work and brought their A game to work and blessed my son with their talents and their love for their jobs. I'm more then appreciative of what they have done for my son I'm eternally grateful.

Posted April 24, 2013

My review of Camelot Academy is that it is a good school that is assigned a difficult task. I also believe that once students are put in this school, a stigma is placed on them. When they are tran- sitioned back to a regular school and the smallest infraction by them, they're immediately placed back in Camelot. They are guilty for the rest of school life. There are no degrees of what the student offense is, they are packed off to the school for 'bad kids'. Some children get chance after chance to participate in the "In Leiu Of Program", in their primary school, but others don't. For this they must ride a bus 100 miles round trip daily. If a parent don't have transportation and the student get ill or an accident occur, you are between a rock and a hard place. For a school like this, my opinion is that it should be situated mid county, and Molino, Fl would be a better location. There are no clubs in school for the students to have any kind of outlet, such as drama club, glee club or anything,the enrollment count will prevent them from any sport teams. I am sure a number of them can sing, dance and act or maybe even write poetry. You'ill never know unless you ask them.

Posted April 22, 2013

I like Camelot personally. My daughter has been going there 2 years, if there is something going on I know about it right then, I even get a call if she's starting her day off wrong. I have personal numbers if at anytime I'm at work & just want to know how she's doing. They have positive things for the kids to work towards like becoming a Tiger Shark, Girl Circle and Townhouse. So Camelot is not as bad as people make them out to be there are some wonderful people working there to help the kids literally public school feel are lost causes......Thanks Camelot

Posted February 7, 2013

Camelot is great this year. My daughter started going there last year and it wasn't as good. The new principal and new staff people are doing real well now. It has helped my child alot with her attutude and getting along with other girls. Her grades are better to, and she gets more help and attention than at her old school.

Posted October 30, 2012

CAMELOT NEED TO BE CLOSE DOWN.THEY STILL HITTING THEM KIDS I HOPE I WILL BE ABLE TO HELP THE KIDS CAUSE GETTING BEATING BY SOMEONE THAT'S SURPOST TO KEEP YOU SAFE IS SAD.I CAN HELP CALL 6077459.I DO HAVE A LAWSUIT ON CAMEALOT

Posted October 13, 2011

My son will be attending this school. I would like more information about the school

Posted April 3, 2011

Absolutely horrible school. Granted, a school for youth with discipline problems. My son comes from a professional family who got into trouble. He's not a thug, but he comes home with bruises and injuries from bullies and the teachers do nothing about it. This, I believe, is a crime and should be investigated, but because the youth are "problem" youth, the school system doesn't care.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

23 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

27 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

18 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

39 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

56 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

50 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

31 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

15 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

19 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

53 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

This school did not receive a grade in 2011-2012.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Attendance and completion

Dropout rate 6%N/A2%
Graduation rate 6%N/A74%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Escambia County Public Schools
Department of Juvenile Justice Programs
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher education levels

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 49%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students None
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Special education
Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• 9:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
  • Mr. Drew Stem
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (850) 497-6673

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Compass Learning
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • None

Staff resources available to students
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Computer lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Manna Food Bank

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girls Circle

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Parent Conferences

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
162
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
162
Students typically come from these schools
Escambia County Public Schools
Department of Juvenile Justice Programs

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
School-sponsored trips to college campuses

401 Brigadier St